U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM

65 posts, read 212,036 times

Advertisements

Can anyone who's knowledgeable about these two areas please describe some of the differences? We're looking for a home with forrested land and some acreage. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:48 PM

20,327 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Some of the differences that I see are:
- People in WP must travel Ute Pass when going to/from COLO SPGS and/or the I-25 corridor.
- People in WP are closer to some of the ski areas.
- People in BF have an easier drive to/from COLO SPGS and not necessarily the problems WP folks have when it snows.
- BF puts people almost an hour closer to Denver metro area.
- WP is at 8500' elevation, BF is at 7400' elevation, which makes a difference as to where the snow line is at for any given storm.
- WP is in Teller County, BF is in El Paso County....not sure if either is better than the other.
- WP has limited shopping (WalMart and Safeway).
- BF has easier access to much eating, museums, shows, events and shopping in COLO SPGS and/or the south end of the Denver Metro Area (Outlet Mall in Castle Rock and Park Center Mall in Lone Tree).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,698,140 times
WP is a 'mountain' town, but BF isn't a town at all, and not 'mountain'. I think acreage is probably harder to come by in WP, because it is a mountain town closed in being in a pass, unless perhaps if you had further west up toward Divide. I suspect the acreage will cost more up that way, unless you're willing to buy land that is completely undeveloped.
So, do you want to live in a small town, or a suburb disguised by trees and acres? Do you want to be in the mountains, or on more level ground?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,490,933 times
Well, WP was the benefit of National Forest land. That gives you the feeling of acreage if you have easy access to it. Acreage is available in WP, though!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 PM

71 posts, read 161,164 times
Black Forest is closer to civilization so to speak, though Woodland Park has a cute little town. Black Forest, when you are there, seems way out in the middle of nowhere, but is really close to everything. I notice when it snows, Woodland Park gets the worst of it many times. I get more of a rustic feel when I am in Woodland Park. Both areas are beautiful.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM

65 posts, read 212,036 times
Very helpful, Mike! Thanks!

Are all these 5 acre lots in Black Forest part of developments? That would make a huge difference as well...

Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 PM

20,327 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer33ny View Post
Very helpful, Mike! Thanks!

Are all these 5 acre lots in Black Forest part of developments? That would make a huge difference as well...
I'm not sure if they are, though most of the ones I've seen are 5 acres, which I think is a minimum due to the need for a well and septic. I'd tend to say they are, unless they are part of a specific development like Kings Deer and Kings Deer may not be considered BF and the homes I've seen there can be wooded or not wooded. Most lots in BF are 3-5 acres.

Zip codes to search on are 80132 for Monument / Kings Deer and 80908 for BF.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:38 PM

310 posts, read 1,061,959 times
Woodland Park is a small but fairly vibrant town above the clouds and within easy access to fishing and hiking in the Pike National Forest. You have to drive hwy 24 west to get there, it's about twenty minutes with no snow or traffic. It is a winding 2 lane highway that is quite scenic. Woodland Park is a little touristy along the main drag (hwy 24) and it does have some nice, tidy plots of land.

Black Forest is a region a few miles north northeast of the Springs. It is 95% residential and 99% forested. Probably easier to get a large forested (and especially flat) plot of land there than Woodland Park. It has a lot of scenery (the land toward Monument is beautiful wide open green rolling hills with plenty of huge houses dotting the landscape.) although for the most part I feel claustrophobic from the thickness of the forest when driving through.

Come take a look!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 PM

794 posts, read 1,497,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
Woodland Park is a small but fairly vibrant town... You have to drive hwy 24 west to get there, it's about twenty minutes with no snow or traffic. It is a winding 2 lane highway that is quite scenic.
Highway 24 is four lane all the way through Woodland Park and on up to Divide.

Really, the two areas are so different in almost every way that it is difficult to make a comparison.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,621,930 times
Looks like you're getting some new neighbors !!
A Bible thumping | Local News | Colorado Springs Independent
RP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs