U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 PM

20 posts, read 31,141 times

Advertisements

I'm currently going to school for CNC machining, and am looking to move out of this state by the end of 2013. I'm sick of the winters here in MN and want something a little warmer. There's hardly anything for me to do outside other than ski, and the hills get boring after a while.

I had my sights on Jacksonville, FL, but the climate sounds a little too hot for me for that many months out of the year. Colorado Springs caught my eye, and sounds like it might suit me well.

What I'm looking for:
-Less snow than MN
-Preferably live just outside of the city-life.
-Lots of things to do - I like staying active
-Mobile home to rent/buy?
-Job for CNC Machinist
-Warmer winter than MN

My Hobbies:
-Motocross/Trail Riding
-Skiing (downhill and water - are there any good lakes?)
-Motorcycles
-Football
-Bowling
-Mountain Biking
-Skydiving
-Drag Racing
-Roller skating

What do y'all think? I've heard a lot of great things about this area and am considering moving there in a year or two. If so, when and where would be a good place to visit? Or do you think there's better areas for me? Also, I'm currently a 19 year-old single male if that makes any difference. I don't drink, party, etc., and will need a good Christian church close by.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Without checking stats, I'd say we get less snow than MN and it usually melts out in a few days unless you're up in the mountain, which COLO SPGS is not; we're on the far western edge of the great plain / prairie.

Air here is very dry, not humid, and we've a lot fewer bugs.

Few lakes, mostly reservoirs, some water skiing on some, but be warned that the water here is COLD all year.

It's in the 50's this week, but some days this week we'll be in the 30s. With dry air bright sun most of the time, even a sunny 30 feels comfortable in a heavy shirt or light jacket, none of that bone chilling humid cold. Some windy days will feel cool / cold.

Mobile homes are out east of town and some are in-town too, but sounds like you need a lot of room for working on cars.

Everything you want is here, but only dragstrip I know of is Bandimere Speedway up in the far-western area of Denver, along Hwy 470.

Lots of churches here and in most of COLO.

Hardest part is the CNC job, look in the usual on-line job sites, there are a few listed in craigslist. A company called Bal Seal is coming here, they do high-quality items and may need help later this year and into next year as they ramp up in this area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
You should look at Pueblo. It's about 40 miles south of COS and has easier access to a lot of your interests. It's a smaller town, so the job opportunities are not as good, but there are several large manufacturers that have facilities there> Trane A/C, BF Goodrich(Aircraft brakes), and Vestas(large windmills), to name a few.
-There is a large reservoir to water ski and snow skiing is about 1.5 hours west.
-There are tons of trails for riding/hiking around the reservoir and into the hills.
-Pueblo Motorsports Park has a drag strip, road course, mx track, and trails.
-There is a commercial sky dive operation at Fremont County Airport a few miles west of Pueblo.
-CSU-Pueblo has an excellent division 2 football program. Take classes and try out as a walk-on

Pueblo has one of the lowest cost of living for a city of it's size in the country. I have a friend that lives in Pueblo West and he rides his dirt bike or ATV right out of his driveway into the desert.
IMHO COS is a nicer place to live, but access to most of your interests will be more difficult.
Good Luck

Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Wow, thanks for the info so far. Yeah, I think the hardest part, like most other places, is job location and home location. While I will want to work on bikes and cars, I don't really need a garage to start. Something to cover a car and a motorcycle for daily transportation would be nice, but I'd probably just get some storage for more bikes and toys if needed.

From the sound of it, Colorado has pretty much everything I want. More lakes would be nice, but I could live with that. It sounds very manageable to live year-round.

I have looked at Pueblo and was considering it as well. I just didn't know if the city was big enough for having lots of jobs. Pueblo Motorsports park sounds like a racing heaven, and yeah, I'd definitely go to the wind tunnel. I wasn't really thinking of playing football for a real team (I'm not big enough). I mainly do it as past-time, but would consider joining a flag-football league.

I guess it would probably come down to where I could find a job and home. What are 2 br. mobiles going for as far as monthly rent? I might be willing to do a rent-to-own if I liked it enough/price was right, lol.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
You'd probably find CS or Pueblo much to your liking. Pueblo also has a river, so if you want more water access you may enjoy that. I know nothing about CNC jobs or how mobile home rent compares to apartment rents. Both should be cheaper in Pueblo.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:34 PM

Yeah I figured Pueblo would be a little cheaper to live. But it's a smaller city and doesn't have as much as CS or Denver. I'm guessing I won't know until I've been there or am ready to move. Which brings up the question, when and where is a good time/place to visit either of these?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:52 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
I'd honestly recommend you come in winter to see if you handle the colder weather and the relatively brown/dormant flora. But any time is fine.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Colder weather?? lol, that's what I figured. Me and a couple friends have been wanting to take a ski trip there for years, so I'm hoping to go this season or next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or