U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM

313 posts, read 611,385 times

Advertisements

Hello folks I'm new to this forum and could not find a topic on moving from Miami to Colorado Springs so please forgive me if I ask this advice from you.

We plan to move somewhere from Miami in about 5 years and are presently search for the best location for us. I have a few requirements that I would like to run by you. Please be candid I will not be insulted.

1) Tolerance towards non-christians? (Jewish and Buddhist)
2) Rush hour traffic less than 1 hour commute.
3) Within 3 hours from the mountains or lakes.
4) Ability to purchase a 3 bedroom house for less than $300,000.
5) Utility bills lower than $200 a month.
6) Job market for people over 40 years of age.
7) Tolerence for foreign born nationals (a Cuban and an Israeli)

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Joe
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 05:25 PM

727 posts, read 1,136,637 times
joeandmich: 1) This is definitely a conservative area, both socially, religiously and politically. That said, while my wife and I are not any of the above, we've found this area to be very "live and let live." I don't think you'd have any problems being Jewish or Buddhist. I know there's a Buddhist center here in COS and I've seen a Jewish facility (not sure it's a synogogue) on I-25 just north of Monument. Monument is about a 20 minute drive north of downtown. 2) Compared to anywhere on the East Coast, traffic is virtually non-existent here. I-25 slows up north of town during rush hour and depending on the time of day, on weekends, and there are a few other choke points on the main surface roads, but nothing like I'm sure you're used to. 3) COS is literally at the base of Pikes Peak. As soon as you leave town, you're climbing into the mountains. 4) Finding a nice 3 bedroom house for less than $300K should not be a problem. The benchmark community most folks use on this forum is Briargate (an established suburb about 15 minutes north of downtown and close to most of the area's shopping). You shouldn't have any problem finding houses there for $250-300K. 5) Utility bills will depend on a number of variables, but we found ours to be less than we paid in Northern Virginia. Coming from Miami, you'll spend your utility dollars on heat in the winter, but won't need A/C most of the time in the summer. A lot of folks here don't have A/C. We do, and we use it, but most of the time ceiling fans work just fine. 6) Job market is tight everywhere. If you have a specific skill that is in demand at the military bases, your odds improve. 7) I don't think you'd have any problems here as foreign born national.

COS, and the west in general, will be a lot different from Miami. We love it here (we looked for communities in the West for five years, finally settling on COS, and moved here 15 months ago), but if you're looking for the Miami night life and other East Coast, big city stuff, this probably isn't the best place. COS is all about outdoor activities, with tons of bike and hiking trails. Skiing, of course, is very popular in the winter, but you'll have to drive a bit to get to the ski areas. If you love humidity and bugs, you'll hate it here. It's dry and largely bug-free (Whoo-hoo!). If you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest a visit or two, and divide your time between touristy stuff and driving around the neighborhoods to get a feel for the area.

Best of luck.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 PM

478 posts, read 570,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post
Hello folks I'm new to this forum and could not find a topic on moving from Miami to Colorado Springs so please forgive me if I ask this advice from you.

We plan to move somewhere from Miami in about 5 years and are presently search for the best location for us. I have a few requirements that I would like to run by you. Please be candid I will not be insulted.

thanks,

Joe
I'll try and answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1-This is a conservative city, but there is plenty of non-Christians. Yes most people here are Christians, but that shouldn't be a worry. The people of Colorado Springs are pretty tolerant. Same with your question 7. As long as your a good person and nice neighbor, anybody can fit in in Colorado.

2-I've never been stuck in traffic for an hour or known anybody who was. It depends on where your working, but even if you worked on one side of town and commuted to another part of it, traffic isn't too bad here. Not saying there isn't ever traffic, but probably not as bad as it gets in Miami which has a much larger population in its metro area than C Springs.

3-Yes, you can get to the mountain areas and lakes from here in that time. I'd say anywhere from 1-3 hours from here. C Springs is right near the mountains and some of the city is actually in the foothills. Theres not any skiing in the mountains right near us, but you can go up Pikes Peak using the Cog Railway or you can drive up or hike up it. For the skiing and other winter stuff, like I said, you can get there in a few hours (1-3 hours).

4- Plenty of 3 bedroom houses for less than 300,000.

5-Depends on how much electicity you use. I know people who have utility bills over $200 here though.

6-I'm only 20, but I know people who are over the age of 40. Job market here is tough for anyone, regardless of age. The economy has picked up some, but it's still pretty hard to find a job here. I'm pretty sure Denver is doing better in that category.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:03 PM

20,337 posts, read 37,854,657 times
ppar.com shows 79 homes in briargate 80920 for $300k and less.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks guys. How does Colorado Springs compare to life in Boulder?

Joe

Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 AM

Boulder is a college town (main campus of the University of Colorado is in Boulder). In addition to the unviersity, it has a high tech business base. It's decidedly more liberal (socially and politically) than COS. It's also a lot more expensive than COS. It's in a beautiful setting at the base of the Flatiron Mountains about 30 miles or so north of Denver. Lots of nice restaurants mixed in with college dives as well. If you're inclined to check out Boulder, you might also look at the town of Louisville. It's only a few minutes away but is much smaller and quieter. It also has high tech business base and a charming downtown area. I'm pretty such it's much less expensive to own a home and live there.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,713,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post

thanks,

Joe
0. (Other post) Boulder will be over 300k. It is insanely expensive.

1. I don't have the experience to say. I am moving there shortly and would not be bothered. Your religion is your business. If I met the Buddhist I might ask some questions to learn about the religion and life style.
2. Traffic is dramatically lower than other cities of comparable or larger size.
3. How about within 1 hour.
4. Yeah, tons of those. CS has very attractive homes and low taxes.
5. I believe so, don't water a large lawn.
6. All job markets are bad currently. This one isn't really worse than average.
7. No experience in this regard. However I can tell you this is a very white community. There are some areas of the country that are bothered by "Other" people. I find locals who dislike immigrants to be the offensive ones and I would attempt to welcome any immigrant.

By the way: I hope you decide to move to CS. Are you a married couple? Buddhist and Jew living together shows a healthy ability to respect each other. I think most communities could use more adults with a healthy respect and tolerance for other people.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM

So which city does it snow more in?

Colorado Springs
Denver
Boulder
Louisville

Thanks,

Joe

Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 PM

According to a couple of on-line sources, Denver gets about 54-60 inches/yr, Boulder gets 60-88 inches/year, Louisville (only one source), 60 inches/yr (it's only a few minutes drive from Boulder, so I'd use the boulder range); Ft Collins gets 47-60 inches/year; Colorado Springs gets 38-43 inches/year.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 PM

44 posts, read 295,288 times
I've lived here for almost 4 years. (From Orlando)
If I could it again, I'd choose Denver over Colorado Springs in a heart beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or