U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 22 days ago)

10,302 posts, read 10,457,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Now, back in NoVA we had some traffic lights that were linked to a streetside speed detection device, and if a vehicle was speeding, the light would change just to slow you down.
That's a pretty good idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:55 AM

9,783 posts, read 6,282,029 times
Well, back near Olympia WA they had cameras that looked pretty much identical to the ones you see out here, and they were definitely for catching light runners. Not speeders, just those crossing the intersection illegally. You could tell when they caught someone too, because they had a bright flash that would go off. I haven't seen the flash effect here though, so maybe you're right. Just don't know why they'd need condition monitors at nearly EVERY intersection, even minor ones through Widefield?

WA also had sensors for emergency vehicles, but they turned all lights in their path universally red. When everyone was stopped, the vehicle would cut left into the oncoming lane and swerve through the empty intersection, then back right into the proper lane.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,622,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
My brother lives in Colorado Springs and once heard a police spokesman state that the cameras were not for generation of revenue. So he [my brother] looked into the maintenance costs as well as the average fine collected by the city for infractions recorded by those cameras, and concluded that if the intent is not to generate revenue, that generating revenue is a VERY nice by-product!

He and I agreed that it is fine for the city to use the cameras to generate revenue, but that the police sergeant should have been more honest with the public. Something like, "The primary intent of these cameras is to incentivize safe driving throughout the city. A secondary intent is to generate some $$$ for the city. If you do not wish to contribute, follow the rules of the road."
In MOST City's and States for that fact do not maintain or own those cameras , they are under contract with private companies so they ( the city) get a small % of the money collected in fines. so if there are no costs to maintain the cameras then it's all profit to the city. This is totally illegal as has been proven in court many times in many states .

Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 AM

20,311 posts, read 37,810,444 times
This city had four of the red-light runner cams, and the new mayor took them all off line. IIRC one was downtown at Bijou and Nevada, near City Hall (hmmmm, maybe HE didn't want to get any tix).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,622,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
This city had four of the red-light runner cams, and the new mayor took them all off line. IIRC one was downtown at Bijou and Nevada, near City Hall (hmmmm, maybe HE didn't want to get any tix).
As stated above , maybe he found out his camera's were illegal and took them off line so some one would not file a suit against the City.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:37 AM

355 posts, read 684,863 times
I have passed through many cities in this country where it seemed like I hit every single red light. It is most definitely annoying. A good light system will allow you to leave from the first stopped red light, maintain the speed limit and continue through the remaining intersections on green. However due to traffic, this seldom works out like it's designed. Also if the timing of one light gets messed up, it can throw the whole thing out of whack. A lot of times you will see little black strips laid across the roads....these are counters that track traffic flow. Cities will sometimes use this data to adjust light times so the busier roads stay moving and the side streets with less traffic wait longer. I wish you all the best and maybe it will improve if enough citizens voice their concerns.

To the person complaining about a speeding ticket at the bottom of a big hill. While I understand the laws of motion, the car you drive is equipped with breaks I am sure. 11MPH will get you a ticket in any city just about. The extra stopping distance required for the 11mph could be the difference between life and death of a child who runs out in front of you at the bottom of that big hill. Monitor your speed a little better and I bet those mean traffic cops will leave you alone. Now if your going 37-38 MPH in a 35 and get citied.....then I can see your complaint. 11 MPH...no way any judge will lean off of that. Not trying to preach....more so trying to get the big picture to be seen.

Good luck on the traffic flow issues! Living in Pittsburgh for some time I know that headache all too well.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,471,297 times
We have similar issues in N Colorado. Every time my mother comes to visit she asks if the traffic lights here have the "grüne Welle" (green wave) system like in Germany where the lights change to green sequentially. You have a smooth drive thro all the intersections and don't have to keep hitting the brakes and clutch to change gears. I know most cars in the US are automatics but it can't be good for the transmission to constantly change up and down in order to adjust to the lights?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,108,808 times
City of Colorado Springs - Signal Timing

Those cameras on top of the lights are used to detect cars for light changes. They no longer use loops of electromagnetic detector wire burried in the pavement, as it was too expensive to maintain.

Thank God no red light cameras here.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:07 PM

20,311 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
City of Colorado Springs - Signal Timing

Those cameras on top of the lights are used to detect cars for light changes. They no longer use loops of electromagnetic detector wire burried in the pavement, as it was too expensive to maintain.

Thank God no red light cameras here.
Cool, thanks! +5
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 AM

9,783 posts, read 6,282,029 times
(With the psychological side effect that ignorant newcomers like myself will assume that if we run a light we'll get a ticket in the mail...seeing as how new soldiers are always coming/going, that effect might be more substantive that you'd think...at least until they/we learn better.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs