U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times

Advertisements

Mold is not really an issue here, at least due to climate, but if a home had leaks or was treated badly by its occupants, there can be mold, but we've almost nothing about it in these forums. Nor have we had a lot of posts about poor construction quality in the area.

The corporate entity that developed much of Briargate seemed to do a good job picking reputable builders, though the quality of individual homes could vary a bit due to the quality of the sub-contractors hired for the various phases.

Can't really say there are satellite neighborhoods off of Briargate, though Cordera, Wolf Ranch and Cumbre Vista might qualify by virtue of being on the east side of Powers Blvd. East and north of that you simply are in the Black Forest area (zip 80908) along Black Forest Road or north of Old Ranch Road.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,594,326 times
You may also want to look into the zipcode 80923. It borders Briargate (its south of Briargate) but is a bit less expensive. It is less than 5 minutes from the Powers area with all the shopping, newer homes, very safe area. The west side of the zipcode (west of Powers) is D11 schools--the best in the district. I'm super picky about where my kids go to school and we have LOVED this area. On the east side of the zipcode is the Stetson Hills neighborhood. D49 schools--the better tier, imho. 80923/80922 is known as the Powers area and I'm sure its exactly what you are looking for. We have a mixture of Air Force, Army and Navy families on our street. We can get to Carson in less than 30 minutes; my husband works there sometimes.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM

22 posts, read 53,767 times
So we've been here a few days now, searching for a house. The zipcodes we decided we like based on the areas are 80920, 80923, 80918.

We also decided it'd be worth it to spend up to $1500/mo for rent.

But it seems like by the time we get a call back from the realtors most of the houses we're really interested in already have applications on them!! And the houses we've gotten in to look at are not what we want (moldy bathrooms, leaky toilets, overwhelming stench of pet urine, wicked old appliances etc). Some things arent a huge deal but when they're asking $1250+ for a 3bd I expect my fridge to not be 10yrs old & look like it barely works :/

We've been checking PPAR, Rentals.com, hotpads, militarybyowner...all day&night everyday. Is there some "secret" website other ppl are using that seem to be beating us to the rentals?? Every realtor we talk to to says the same thing about there being a rental shortage right now. I just hope we find something soon, living in a hotel with 2 kids is not fun at all lol

Old 02-08-2012, 09:30 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Perhaps you should put an ad in Craigslist, telling prospective landlords and property managers what it is you want, where you want it, your budget, why you're a worthy tenant and don't be afraid to state your case as you have here as far as what's not acceptable to you.

Maybe that will get to a property before it gets listed and snapped up by others.

s/Mike
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,423,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpio1177 View Post
So we've been here a few days now, searching for a house. The zipcodes we decided we like based on the areas are 80920, 80923, 80918.

We also decided it'd be worth it to spend up to $1500/mo for rent.

But it seems like by the time we get a call back from the realtors most of the houses we're really interested in already have applications on them!! And the houses we've gotten in to look at are not what we want (moldy bathrooms, leaky toilets, overwhelming stench of pet urine, wicked old appliances etc). Some things arent a huge deal but when they're asking $1250+ for a 3bd I expect my fridge to not be 10yrs old & look like it barely works :/

We've been checking PPAR, Rentals.com, hotpads, militarybyowner...all day&night everyday. Is there some "secret" website other ppl are using that seem to be beating us to the rentals?? Every realtor we talk to to says the same thing about there being a rental shortage right now. I just hope we find something soon, living in a hotel with 2 kids is not fun at all lol
Wicked old...I love it! Makes me miss home!

Try Craigslist. It may be hit or miss but it's another option. My wife and I rented our house (back in OH) on CL.

I hope you enjoy the area. My wife and I both work near there and it is the most convenient shopping for us.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 PM

727 posts, read 1,135,011 times
skorpio - Check out today's Gazette. It confirms your dilemma. Apparently COS has a rental vacancy rate of less than 7%. Once rentals come on the market, they go very quickly, and rental prices are up. Wish that were better news for you. I guess my best advice is to make sure your finances and references are in order, so that there's no reason to turn you down, and be ready to commit as soon as you find something you like. With the market the way it is, you're probably wise to raise your monthly rent budget. You may also be limiting yourself to too small an area.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,785 times
Man, if you could hold out for another month & a half, I'd have you come look at our home! We're having to relocate out to CA (Boooo!!) and need to find tenants. Our home is in Rockrimmon (80919) and just a quick minute to the interstate. The schools here are fantastic (we have 2 kiddos too) and it's a super quiet area. I love, love, love our neighborhood and I am so sad to leave it.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 AM

22 posts, read 53,767 times
I know its been awhile but I wanted to post a follow up (been unpacking, interent wasnt working, etc)

So, we ended up finding a house in the 80923 area and we love it! House is only 6yrs old, great neighborhood with families & kids and awesome elementary school (daughter is in the GT program now). Plus, Im less than 5 mins from Walmart and like 10 mins to all the shopping on Powers. Couldnt be anymore perfect for us!

My husband works on Carson and it takes him approx 25min in the morning to get there and like 30-40mins to get home w/traffic.

Definitely happy that we decided on this area, though Im not sure what its "called" lol. We're only literally 2mins from the Briargate area.

It was NOT easy finding a house here right now. Id recommend anyone thats looking give yourselves a good 3wks if you're selective. Alot of rentals in Falcon but that was out for us.

Thanks again to everyone that gave us info & helped us out

Old 03-17-2012, 10:47 PM

2,864 posts, read 7,096,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpio1177 View Post
MikeFromBackEast- awesome! Thank you for giving me the parameters to search! Ive read tons of your posts about Briargate, checked out your photo tours, all your info has been really helpful to me and my husband, so thank you!

I know you live in Briargate, whats your take on Fountain vs Briargate? From what Ive been reading, it seems people sway more towards Briargate, is that because of the newness of the area?

Is there something Fountain is lacking?

Thanks!!
There are nice parts, and downright ugly parts to Fountain. The north side off of Fountain-Mesa BLVD is very nice, with newer homes and shopping. But the 85-87 area around security/widefield, is run down and old. There's just pockets of good and bad, and yes, it is a small town. Walmart is considered Fountain's mall lol. But they do have a Big R sporting goods down there though. Downtown Fountain (if you can call it that) is pretty much nothing but a Loaf N Jug, and the post office. It's not my cup of tea, but it's safe to live there and you'll be surrounded by other military families.

Oh and Fountain cops are huge D-bags too. No offense.

Last edited by ryanek9freak; 03-17-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,681,120 times
I like the small-town, slightly blue-collar community feel of Fountain compared to other areas in the region - and it is no farther from anything in the Springs than just about anyone else living in the Springs area - especially by time, since commutes from the south to the north are generally very smooth unless you're going past Woodmen. Yes, parts of it are old, it isn't all new. That's fine with me. Some people would also consider it a plus that Fountain is usually warmer and drier than other areas in the county (but not always). Snow days for the schools almost never happen. I would advise not to rule it out until you have a chance to see it for yourself - lots of families just love the Fountain/Security/Widefield area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs