U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,978 times

Advertisements

I am half of a young couple who are planning to move to Colorado soon. So far I think that Colorado Springs seems like a great place! It seems diverese with colleges and hospitals nearby which are important to us.
We are planning a trip in March to visit and I want to know if anyone has any other ideas of places we should check out and things we should do while we are there. I am not interseted in a big city feel and I also don't want to be anywhere too rural. We are looking for a happy medium with lower crime, affordable housing and family friendly environment. Please help us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 02:30 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,743,532 times
My sister lives in the Springs and she absolutely loves the zoo. She is a fan of zoos (unlike myself where I get a little depressed seeing animals in cages) and she says this is the best zoo she has ever visited. She bought an annual pass and goes frequently. She loves seeing the difference between animals active in the winter vs. in the summer.

She took me to the Garden of the Gods for some hiking and picture taking while I was there visiting her. What a beautiful place. Other than that, the other places that come to mind actually take you out of the Springs and that includes Manitou and Woodland Park. I enjoyed visiting both those places. But I know your purpose is to visit Colorado Springs so that may not be what you're looking for.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:27 PM

20,376 posts, read 37,929,562 times
zimmz, help us out a bit and tell us your buy/rent price range, children?, job needs, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:06 PM

727 posts, read 1,139,112 times
kzimmz - From what you told us about yourselves, I think COS would be a good match. COS is a mid-sized city, with several colleges, including Colorado College, a very well respected private liberal arts college, and UCCS, a campus of the University of Colorado system, as well as a Christian college, at least one technical college, etc. We have a couple of highly rated hospitals. All are right in town. You'll find a fair amount of cultural outlets and entertainment (if you look a bit), but this isn't Denver, which really is the cultural center of the region. However, Denver is only an hour or so away. I would not describe COS as rural, though it doesn't take much effort to get all the "rural" you might want.

My suggestion is if you're visiting here to see if it's the place you want to live, then limit your tourist activities. Instead, drive around the neighborhoods to get a feel for the place. Contact a real estate agent in town and find out what you can afford and where. If schools are a factor, then search out threads on this forum (there are loads of recommendations for the best destricts, schools, etc.) and plan visit those neighborhoods with the schools that impress you. Check out the shopping, downtown area, Old Colorado City, restaurants, etc., to get a feel for how you'd actually live here. Once you've done some of that, then go do some touristy stuff that you might actually do on a regular basis if you were living , such as renting a bike and riding our trail system or taking a hike or horseback ride through Garden of the Gods.

Finally, as Mike suggested, give us a little more information on your particular situation. Do you have jobs lined up here? Do you have in demand skills? Are you students? Have kids? Budget for housing? etc. etc. etc.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 PM

170 posts, read 699,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmz View Post
I am half of a young couple who are planning to move to Colorado soon. So far I think that Colorado Springs seems like a great place! It seems diverese with colleges and hospitals nearby which are important to us.
We are planning a trip in March to visit and I want to know if anyone has any other ideas of places we should check out and things we should do while we are there. I am not interseted in a big city feel and I also don't want to be anywhere too rural. We are looking for a happy medium with lower crime, affordable housing and family friendly environment. Please help us!

Feel free to be very specific. Everything is relative and subjective so if you are more detailed in what you're looking for we can probably give you some good ideas.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM

73 posts, read 161,542 times
Default Good apartment for you needs

When we moved here to the Briargate area we stayed at The Parc at Briargate. we stayed for 8 months since they offer 2-12 month leases. It is in district 20 and in a great location while you are searching around. Very good place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or