U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM

1,896 posts, read 1,134,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak, Manitou Springs, & Poor Richard's
The clean mountain air, (on a clear night, you can see a million stars). Good people, great library system, Cripple Creek, Woodland Park, great eating spots, hiking, biking, doggie parks, nice city parks. Great worship places, indoors or out; your choice! New shopping areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:46 PM

20,312 posts, read 37,815,914 times
It's NOT the things that I hated about Northern Virginia / DC metro area.

Here, it's not humid, has few bugs, good breezes, great scenery, not crowded, blue skies, easy traffic, lots to do in the region, access to many great national parks, no hurricanes, no earthquake hazard, good affordable minor league baseball and college sports, not to mention that housing here was half the price of back there.

NOTE: Discussion of winter driving and tire chains has been moved to an appropriate EXISTING thread. Discussion of car culture has been moved to an appropriate NEW thread. Please keep this thread on the topic of BEST THINGS about our city.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:46 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,266,838 times
Great outdoor culture + great beer culture. You'll notice copious amounts of beer guzzling, but very few beer bellies For example, a community 5K run takes place downtown on Tuesday Nights, followed by $2.50 pints. Two things I love and surprisingly co-exist very well. I miss it.

Prosit!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 PM

67 posts, read 119,638 times
Hands down...THE best thing about the Springs is her ppl. After living in many states around this country and visiting many cities abroad CS is one of the friendliest cities I have ever lived in or visited.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:19 AM

840 posts, read 2,034,880 times
I'm a native of COS.

I just returned after spending 14 months in Houston and mere words cannot describe how glad I am to be back home.

Frequently people will complain about HEAT and humidity in the south, but I found COLD and humidity to be much harder to take. Houston does get a few cold days in December and January. A 45-50 degree day there will chill a person to the bone while the same temp here, particularly if the sun is out, is shirtsleeve weather.

Secondly, there are no Palmetto bugs. These are some type of mutant alien cockroach about the size of a small cat. No matter how clean your house is, these things want in anyway. You can seal cracks and openings all you want, these damn things will just pick the locks and use the door! They are armour plated as well. Merely stepping on them is not enough. Repeated stomping is required to kill them......

What I like most about living in Colorado Springs is more of an intangible thing though. For those of us who grew up here or lived here prior to 1990 or so, the degrees of separation are very few. Spend enough time talking and you'll find common acquaintances and friends. Also, driving through any part of the city west of Powers Blvd is likely to invoke some memory. It occured to me that I am of this place. This town influenced and molded me into the man I am today. For better or worse, this is my hometown....

Bruce Springsteen - My Hometown - YouTube

Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,110,731 times
My sis lived in Houston for 3 years before getting out. I visited her several times and couldn't see how anyone want to actually live in that city. First, it's a huge town. People must stick to their "area" because there is no way you could explore or know the entire city. Traffic was horrible. Lots of spanish only speaking people. And yeah, humidity and heat in the summer was horrible. Who wants to sweat all day?

I will say she had a very nice new house for ~$200,000. I'm sure their property taxes were over $6,000/year, though. But they had a ton of copperhead snakes living in their backyard/neighborhood. They were scared to let the kids and dogs play outside. That is what ultimately made them move.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:36 PM

313 posts, read 610,851 times
Those are the reasons we're leaving Miami.

Humidity
Bugs
Quality of life
Living expenses
Bad traffic
Too many damn people

Old 02-06-2012, 02:48 PM

727 posts, read 1,135,707 times
all good reasons to come to COS.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM

26 posts, read 37,437 times
I grew up in San Diego, and for 29 years never felt like I was home. Even though my wife and I haven't settled in completely, (ie. haven't purchased a house or rooted our 3 year old in school) we are far more comfortable here than San Diego.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,935 times
All of these post sound like the very reasons for moving from Houston! I am 61 years old and I know it's taking a risk to uproot from my socked in upbringing. I took a trip with my girlfriends family and spent 2 weeks in South Colorado. I was just a teenager but I left my heart there. It still makes me misty to think of what I left behind in Colorado. I've wanted to move ever since then. My inner guidance tells me I need to do this now. I figure it will take me a year to sell most of my stuff and get ready for the move. Somebody wish me luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or