U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 AM

3 posts, read 3,380 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,
My family is moving to COS on July. We are so excited! We have never been there but we have seen how beautiful it is in the website. These last 3 years we have been living in Beijing and now in Singapore. Before that we were living in Edinburgh (our house is now being rented).

We did a quick search and we were amazed we could buy a house with acres!! There, a bunch of impossible dreams just came out. My daughters want rabbits. I want a cat. I even read a book about taking care of horses! And reading about hens :-) For us this is pretty amazing.

We can't buy a house for a short while as I understand we need to have a credit history in USA. Apparently our history in Europe and Asia does not count. So we need to rent for a while. Just as well as it give us time to know the area.

Please can anybody give an advice regarding which areas to look at? I've been looking neighbourhoods in COS and there are lots! Mainly I find information regarding houses in the area instead how is the area.
Ideally we would like a pretty house with nice views and at least 2 acres (in case the horse dream is possible!!)

Also, we need to rent at the beginning till we build credit history etc. I was thinking.. probably this is impossible but just in case, does anybody knows if there is such a thing as a farm or ranch or a place that we can stay that kind of you can learn how to take care of hen/horse things like that?
I guess this is pretty impossible but just in case :-) My daughters and me don't have any idea of how to take care of say a chicken. I can ride in a horse but I never took care of them :-( We are reading books about it but it is not the real thing.

Thanks so much for reading this very long email and I am sorry for all this long message!

Marian MacCormack
P.S: I forgot to ask. It's about 2 years now that I don't do any gardening. I am looking forward to do it again. How is COS generally for planting? I am not a green fingers but in Scotland it rains quite a bit which is fantastic for plants, i.e. in spite of me...they grow! And everything is so green. How about COS, is it easy to have a flower garden? kitchen garden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 06:19 AM

5,006 posts, read 6,681,120 times
You can grow things in the Springs, but it is basically a desert climate here, so you will have to supply the water. The altitude and semi-short growing season mean this isn't exactly a gardener's paradise, but you can still do something decent - it will probably take some time to learn how things grow here, and what does well and what doesn't - for outside growth, our frosts mean some plants just can't make it here. There are clubs and societies that are all about gardening like the horticultural society and they can help you - they have regular meetings. Also, the Colorado State University extension offices have lots of information about planting and gardening.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:10 AM

Thanks a lot. That is very helpful. I guess I need to buy some book about plants that grows in COS. It is going to be a new experience leaving the house with no umbrella :-)

Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,080,586 times
For learning about how to take care of horses, perhaps you could take riding lessons for a while at a place that will agree to teach you about care. You might be able to find a place you could work where you could clean stalls, feed, etc.

For chickens, I don't know anything about that, but I suspect that a lot of people on this board do, as I have seen a lot of posts from people wanting to raise chickens. I don't think you need a lot of room for them like you do horses.

If you plan to eventually move somewhere that allows horses and chickens, I think you have a good plan to rent somewhere first and get the know the areas that meet your needs before you buy a home.

And gardening.... Our growing season is short in comparison to other areas. Freezing temperatures and hail take a toll on our gardens. Where I live, I usually don't plant anything until about June, and things are usually done by September as we will get a freeze or even snow by then. For hail (which is common into July), I built a frame which holds a heavy metal screen up above the garden a foot or two above the plants. It lets light and rain in, but keeps the hail out. This have saved my plants many times. I take it down after the 'hail season' is passed. (I do live higher in elevation up on the Palmer Divide so it is particularly harsh here). Plants that grow well for me here are: beets, kohlrabi, green onions, herbs, green beans, zucchini and crookneck squash. I have always wanted to try potatoes as this used to be prime potato growing country long ago. I have not had much luck growing tomatoes.

Good luck on your new adventure. You will find plenty of great advice on this forum!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 AM

641 posts, read 1,954,356 times
I would look into the Black Forest area to find a house to rent. Many properties out East of CO Springs have acreage, and it's a more ranchy...(is that a word?).

Falcon and Peyton are also more rural and I think a house with acreage would be easier to come by, perhaps?

There's a "Big R," just off highway 24, on your way out East...and I know you're probably not familiar with that chain...but it's a farm/feed store. They're awesome....everything from boots, to guns, work clothes, to feed, and in the spring....chicks.....as in baby chickens!...not the other kind! They have everything there to get you started.

Good luck!

http://www.bigr.com/other_stores.php

Old 01-26-2012, 01:09 PM

170 posts, read 697,742 times
Hi Marian,

I'm excited for you! I don't think Colorado Springs will disappoint at all! It's gorgeous here and people are friendly. I wish you the best! This site has tons of great information and was instrumental in helping me make decisions when I moved here about five years ago!
A friend's friend has chickens as pets and love them. Apparently they have cool personalities and of course produce some nice eggs. I will see what else I can find out about them for you.

Minz

Old 01-27-2012, 01:30 AM

Thanks so much to everybody!

I have found the shop and the horticultural society. Excellent :-)

I also have seen some ranch stays. Too expensive to stay there as a rent house but we can go for short periods.

I couldn't find something like a farm stay though. I will keep looking.

Wow, hail on June! That must be amazing.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 AM

5,006 posts, read 6,681,120 times
There's a Big R in Security, too! As for tomatoes - mine will grow fine, but they're just too slow - I only get a few to be fully ripe before the cold kills them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs