U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,255 times

Advertisements

We are military family moving to Fort Carson this summer. Living on post is not my cup of tea. We are looking for an area of town that is family-friendly, clean, crunchy friendly with great public schools for under 2100.00/month. The ability to bike or ride friendly would be awonderful bonus?

We are looking for information on holstic, delayed vaccination, alt. medcine friendly peditrician and/or family physician.

Any ideas on local diary farms offering raw milk and eggs?

And when do farmer's marker or local Veggie CSA runs? Any good places to get pasture raised pork, chicken or beef?

And are there any enviromental outdoor or horse-riding camps for kids? And is there offering for t-ball, soccer or football for the under 4 crowd?

And are there any midwives in the local area that do well women visits....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,085,913 times
I probably cannot help on most of your questions, but I have used Grant Farms CSA for organic veggies. I highly recommend them. They are based north of Denver, but they deliver all over the place. In addition to veggies, they also offer egg and fruit shares, and you can order meat from them as well.

Grant Family Farms:

Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM

20,326 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Fountain, CO, zip 80817, in the D8 school district.

Your rent budget will let you live very well here in most parts of town.

Look for rentals on padmapper.com or zillow.com or ppar.com or realtor.com

Use our search tool with keywords like: CSA, holistic, farmer's markets, etc

Most farmer's markets start in late may or early June and run through the summer. You can google that too and find the state of COLO listing.

I'm not able to address the other topics.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 8,439 times
Hi,

For CSAs in the Colorado Springs area, try this link: Farm shares with pickups in Colorado Springs

Here's at least one farm that offers raw milk in the Springs area: Larga Vista Ranch - Colorado Raw Milk Dairy: Colorado Springs & Pueblo, Beef, Pork, Produce - Beyond Organic

Here's a directory of pastured meat products: Eat Wild - Colorado (I bought some beef from Lasseter and was happy with it.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions.

Dan

Old 11-17-2012, 05:38 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,698,140 times
You may also be interested in Door to Door organics - the growing season/variety is a little sparse here, but expanding 'local' just a little gives more options. Online Grocery Shopping | Delivering Organic Produce & All-Natural Groceries | Door to Door Organics

Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 PM

193 posts, read 295,591 times
https://www.facebook.com/groups/colo...wives/?fref=ts

Join this group.

We have people who will certainly know about the majority of things you mentioned (especially relating to the farming/midwife questions).

There are many wonderful areas that will meet your needs within your budget. Use your house hunting allowance to really look them over for yourselves - any rentals you may find before you come will likely be gone anyway.

I know people stationed at Carson who live as far away as Falcon, (40 min. commute), so as long as you are flexible with commute times, you will have many choices for housing.

For produce I do 'bountiful baskets' - it's a great volunteer based co-op that emphasizes 'local' whenever possible. There are also a couple of organic ranchers in town that sell entire cows, etc. The ladies in the group I posted above are very knowledgeable.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 AM

9,824 posts, read 6,305,324 times
Yeah, with that kind of housing budget, you can live in any area of town you want here.

I don't know much about organics and midwives, except that if you search Google and look for sites with reviews that might help. And Jcelmer's suggestion about that group will probably help more.

So, questions you need to think about...what is the maximum commute your soldier is OK with to get to Carson? For me, I cut it off at half an hour. That meant that a lot of things on the North side were too far...but I did spend a lot of time scoping out the West side, and I think you should too.

Which brings me to my next question. Did you want more of a mountain experience? There are LOTS of trails for hiking, biking, you name it, over to the west. They get a little more snow north and west, and there are more hills to drive on potentially...that might not matter to you. It did to me. I'm a big chicken about that stuff. Now, I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a guess, which may or may not be accurate. There is a lot of "alternative living" going on up in Manitou. Hippies, artists, what have you. Given that, I might guess that (so long as you're not looking for all of this strictly in Christian-flavor) you might find more holistic, organic, etc. sorts of stuff over that direction. But I won't swear to that, it's just a guess.

I don't blame you for not wanting to live on post. I refuse to even consider it. Too much drama with the Army wives, no thanks!

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs