U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 PM

4,670 posts, read 6,748,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
The problem with a lot of the teleharassers now is they use robo-callers with banks of phones with lots of different numbers. The odds they'll call from the same number (or even the same area code) twice are small.

I remember seeing a plug-in call screening device that goes between the wall outlet and the phone...it requires the caller to enter a PIN code to make your phone ring. That idea seems more palatable with each passing day.
I had one. It's called Inbound Call Blocker, and it's a pain in the butt. My bank, for example, tried to call me to tell me I had an unauthorized expense on my credit card, and couldn't get through. They emailed, but I didn't check my mail for a day or so. There are other down sides to it. Unless you give everyone and every business a code, a lot of calls you may want will get blocked, like reminders from your doctors or dentists, other appointment reminders, the pharmacy calling when your Rx is ready, and so on. For now, Caller ID is the better choice if you don't mind listening to your phone ring. That way, if you don't recognize the name or number; don't answer and let it go to machine if they don't hang up first. If it's important, they'll leave a message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,084,499 times
My phone itself has a call block feature. If I get a call from a solicitor or survey company, I can just save that number in the blocked call list. If they try to call again, it will ring once, then cut them off. I do have to suffer through the one ring, but that is a lot better than having to answer it. You have to have caller id for this to work.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM

727 posts, read 1,136,039 times
Back in the mayoral election cycle last year, I started to get calls from "Push Pollers." New experience for me. Apparently a candidate hires a polling firm with a certain political leaning and then makes calls (robocalls) ostensibly to get your opinion on a particular candidate, position, agenda, etc. After a few fairly innocuous questions, the real agenda starts to come through with progressively more clearly biased questions. After a couple of these types of questions, I hung up. Learned my lesson. Now I just hang up whenever I hear a robocall of any kind. Now that we're firmly into the election season, expect a lot of this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or