Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:16 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

I'm a reasonably generous guy...probably more generous in my charitable giving than the average person...but I know there are many people who give far more than I do, as well.

But I am getting very annoyed at ARC & CP, the charity which calls my house over and over and over again. I'm sure these are fine charities, but they don't happen to be charities I have chosen to support. Nevertheless, they continue to call my home month after month.

I have told them that if I have charity donations for them, I will call them...as I have similar organizations in the past. I have asked them 3 times to take my phone number off the list. Each time they say they will let their supervisor know, and then remove my number from the list. Clearly they never do.

Every person's choices as to which charities to contribute to should be respected. Obviously, ARC and CP don't respect such choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 02:42 PM

38 posts, read 225,079 times
I give to the Springs Rescue Mission. They don't charge money to the people that are receiving my donations, they just give it to them. Of course, the public can't just go in and grab stuff...I believe it's only for the people in the SRM program and homeless people. But that makes me feel better that they're not charging them.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:39 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm a reasonably generous guy...probably more generous in my charitable giving than the average person...but I know there are many people who give far more than I do, as well.

But I am getting very annoyed at ARC & CP, the charity which calls my house over and over and over again. I'm sure these are fine charities, but they don't happen to be charities I have chosen to support. Nevertheless, they continue to call my home month after month.

I have told them that if I have charity donations for them, I will call them...as I have similar organizations in the past. I have asked them 3 times to take my phone number off the list. Each time they say they will let their supervisor know, and then remove my number from the list. Clearly they never do.

Every person's choices as to which charities to contribute to should be respected. Obviously, ARC and CP don't respect such choices.
I had the same problem a couple years ago. So I started scheduling pickups when they called and then explained my objections to their repeated calls when they showed up (and I gave them nothing). After wasting their delivery truck driver's time and gas three or four times, they finally stopped.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
I had the same problem a couple years ago. So I started scheduling pickups when they called and then explained my objections to their repeated calls when they showed up (and I gave them nothing). After wasting their delivery truck driver's time and gas three or four times, they finally stopped.
Very interesting. I hadn't thought of that, and hope I don't have to resort to that...but if they keep it up I just may.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I don't answer my phone anymore because 90% of calls are from charities.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
And I hate to tell you how many mail requests I've gotten in the past month. And some from groups I contributed within the past 3-4 months. They are relentless. And I'm not sure the constant bombardment bodes well for them in the long run.

When I was a school principal, I finally had to step in and hold back the PTA from more fundraisers several times because I was getting so many complaints from parents about being, as they put it, "harassed".

Oh, and BTW, I really don't need MORE address stickers!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Lately it's been political surveys. I take great pleasure in giving them false answers to put in their database. Garbage in...

Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
I either don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. Those that leave messages like "Heather from Credit Services", and the banks, I erase after I write down their number. Then, I call CenturyLink and put a block on them. The block is good for 90 days and gives me some peace and quiet.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I don't have caller ID, maybe I should look into getting it, though.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I either don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. Those that leave messages like "Heather from Credit Services", and the banks, I erase after I write down their number. Then, I call CenturyLink and put a block on them. The block is good for 90 days and gives me some peace and quiet.
The problem with a lot of the teleharassers now is they use robo-callers with banks of phones with lots of different numbers. The odds they'll call from the same number (or even the same area code) twice are small.

I remember seeing a plug-in call screening device that goes between the wall outlet and the phone...it requires the caller to enter a PIN code to make your phone ring. That idea seems more palatable with each passing day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs