U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 9,591 times

Advertisements

Hello, I apologize in advance, I am new to this thread and I'm not sure what kind of help I can get here, but looking for all the help we can find.

I have a family of four (my husband, two daughters (4 and 2) and myself). Currently we reside in Texas, and were hoping to move to the springs in the next few months. We lived in Walsenburg in 2007 for a year (my husbands father lived there at the time) and are ready to move back to your great state. However, I have hit a rough spot in figuring out the best way to do this. We are both currently employed here in Texas but I'm not sure how to go about finding jobs and a place to live from being out of state. We can not afford to come up there prior to moving. I have contacted the housing authority of Colorado Springs and there is a four year wait list and the h.a of fountain with no luck. We will have some money saved up but as far as renting a house I don't know how the application process goes (again, with being from out of state). I did contact a realtor and she was very helpful, however she does not deal to much with rental properties. I've been on many sites (rentals.com and hotpads.com for instance) to see what kind of properties are available in our price range I just don't know how to go about an out of state move.

A little background: My husband is a welder, he works on trains here but not having much luck with railroad jobs in Colorado (and Denver is too far out of our income limit at this time). I was previously a CNA when we lived in Colorado before but my license has since expired. I now currently work as at a call center as a customer service representative processing insurance payments but am anxious to get back in the medical field and would eventually like to go back to school to get my RN.

My oldest daughter will be starting school soon, and from what I can tell there are some great schools in that area and we would like to get settled down before she starts in the next few years. If anyone can help direct me with any helpful advice and tips I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM

236 posts, read 395,814 times
Craigslist in CoSp should have alot of rentals and most of the time by individual owners ect, there are also the local papers you can access online for free.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Thank you for your input! Was hoping more people had some tips but I will take what I can get.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:08 PM

840 posts, read 2,039,478 times
Can't blame you for wanting to get out of Texas. I just got back as well after having spent 14 months in Houston. Yuck!

Anyway, finding affordable housing in the Springs shouldn't be too hard, but finding a decent job might be more of a challenge. Theoretically, there should always be a demand for welders, but in this economy, who knows?

You might look into Pueblo as well. P-town does seem to have some call center work and is cheaper still than Colorado Springs.

My advice is to secure employment first before moving. Other than that, welcome and good luck!

Old 02-04-2012, 12:22 PM

I know the steel mill is in pueblo and I have a friend working at a pretty well paid call center there too, but Pueblo isn't my ideal home away from home haha I will look in to it though, I figured it might be cheaper. My husband found a lead on a job up in Denver for pipe welding, but I'm a little nervous since the cost of living is so much more in Denver and I'm not sure how their schools are either.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 PM

5,022 posts, read 6,717,065 times
Pueblo is not a bad place to live, and yes, it is cheaper. Denver is more expensive but also the pay is generally a bit higher, so it is probably a wash that way. The Denver area has plenty of good schools - you'll just want to check on specific ones.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 PM

We used to go to Pueblo all the time when we lived in Walsenburg. I don't think Pueblo is bad at all, its just not where I want to settle down. Its a bit hotter there than I prefer (I'm trying to get out of Texas for that exact reason lol) and doesn't have the mountain range I'm looking for either lol

I figured that was probably true to Denver the high cost of living would come with a bit of higher pay rate however the springs seems to be a better fit for us. I'm trying to get out of the "big city" and need a happy medium. My husband thinks he has a better chance working in Denver but thinks he can commute from csprings. Is that to far fetched?

Old 02-04-2012, 05:21 PM

5,022 posts, read 6,717,065 times
Lots of people do commute from the Springs to Denver. If you do that, definitely you'd want to live on the north end of the Springs, as living on the south end like I do can just about double that commute time. I would not recommend it as a long term solution, as most people get tired of that commute. I agree Colorado Springs is a 'happy medium' choice - I am with you that Denver is too 'big city' - some people like that, but not me.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 PM

590 posts, read 2,014,583 times
I would not recommend commuting between Colorado Springs and Denver unless your job allows you to go in late, work from home, or take the day off when the weather is bad. Also Denver I-25 and the feeders are a disaster especially in the afternoon rush hour.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,867 times
Lightbulb Plans for a long distance move; not absolute.

Moving a long distance can be a serious undertaking. You've already done the move before and it seems that you may have had help with that move and this time it seems like your doing the move all by yourself.

I've done 8 major moves over a 13 year span. Being military you move around a lot and you get alot of assistance financially, but where you want to live and where you want your kids to go to school is not in that handbook. So, it's left up to us, especially when housing is full and there is no availability in the near future. I'll be moving again this year coming to Colorado Springs in the Fall.

If your child is looking to start school in the fall, first start with that as your date to move to Colorado Springs. Make sure you get there about 2-3 weeks before school starts, so that you can have your child start school on time with getting all the requirements for school taken care of. Medical checks and immunizations are most important. Filling out all the necessary paperwork to get your child enrolled. Will your child be old enough to attend Kindergarten according to Colorado Springs Board of Education requirements? She must be 5 by a certain date. As I don't live there yet, I don't know.

From now and until the time you move in the next several months. Save money for the move and the time that you think you will be out of work. Cut back on spending and expenses. Plan to be out of work for atleast 3 months. So if your total monthly income is $3000/month, then you will want to have $9000 in savings (if you make less or more just adjust accordingly). Plus, the cost of the move; the drive won't be done over night, so hotel stay and food. You'll also want to have enough money to buy groceries that couldn't make the move (ie. perishables).

A Uhaul, Ryder/Budget or, Penske truck on a one-way ticket can cost as much as $1000 plus gas (mileage may or may not be included; if so keep account of how much mileage your allowed for the moving truck, going over that mileage will cost you dearly.) and the cost of packing materials and tape. You can negotiate between the moving truck companies to get a better price, more mileage and extra mattress pads (to protect furniture).

Looking for places to live and work in Colorado Springs may seem difficult. Look for property managers in the area that manage rental properties. I'm surprised that the Real Estate Agent didn't help you with that. If I find some property managers later, I will post those up for the local Colorado Springs Area. Finding a job in Colorado Springs or anywhere else for that matter can be difficult when your out of state. Employers do not like to hire people with addresses listed out of state on their application or resume. A good idea, when doing a long distance move is to get a PO Box at the city you want to move to. Go to any USPS office and they can help you with that. Also you can mail things ahead of time and the Post Office will hold onto the items for a short while before shipping returning to sender.

This is just one plan, and it may help you with your move. Your situation may be different and you can or can not use any of the ideas I have mentioned. The important thing is to try and keep the stress and anxiety level down. When you plan and pour your energy into the move and have about 80% of everything lined up, the stress and the anxiety will have no where to fester. When you or your spouse is calm, cool and collected about the move and getting setup, the family is able to calm down and not be so stressed.

If there is anything else I can help with just post up with a message here and I will try and keep track of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs