U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:28 PM

13 posts, read 25,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbcre View Post
El Paso county has yet to enact most of the emissions / pollution controls that Denver and it's surrounding counties have. There are no wood-burning fireplace restrictions here. Whether or not a wood burning fireplace will heat your entire home throughout the winter relies mostly on what type of fireplace is installed, the architecture of your apartment and the way you maintain the fire. For the most part, especially in an apartment home that doesn't have abundant space to store firewood, heating your home with a wooden fireplace would be much more expensive than using a gas furnace. It would also be much more dangerous. Improperly maintained fireplaces and chimneys can cause the risk of both uncontrolled fire as well as poison gas inhalation. Always make sure your fireplace is in tip top shape! Fireplaces, especially in the metropolitan areas along the front range, are more of a luxury item than a main source of heat. Many with fireplaces tend to keep their thermostat lower and use a fireplace during peak times of the day, for instance, in the evening after work and before bed. Never leave your fireplace unattended.
oh no I WONT BE LEAVING IT UNATTENDED AND I KNOW THIS IS A SERIOUS RESPONSIBILTY AND SAFETY ISSUE. that is why i am learning more about it and also reaching out here to read about others real life experiences. thanks so much.

Last edited by agnthvc; 02-17-2012 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Just an FYI...I've been seeing a recurring post on Craigslist R&R about Berkshire apts having 4 electrical fires in the past year and they refuse to do anything about it. DOn't know if it's just a disgruntled tenant.

well if that post is still going and going tile now. . yes it must be a disgruntled tenant. i am also hooked up to get info and new about the place as the time draws closer to move there. i have read about the fires that happened there and it wasnt 4 it 2 as there management has show me when i was there last year. every apartment i looked at has bad reviews on it. . . apartmentratings.com is what i used. you can tell they are really angry with the complex. but i really liked the berk over the others., , and the have remodelled the apartments. i need some good firepalce know how . . because i am for sure going to use it. thanks so much. let me know if you have anything else.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,119,271 times
Fireplaces barely heat anything except what's directly in front of them. I have 2 in my house, and i converted them to have wood buring inserts with blower fans installed, and that helps out somewhat to defray the heating costs, also it helps that I have a near endless supply of wood. i realize this isn't the case for everyone however. Keep in mind that if you plant to use your fireplace alot, you're going to need a ton of wood (literally) to last a winter, and you want a good mix of pine and hardwood. Use pine to get the fire going then switch to hard wood. If you burn nothing but pine, you'll go through it very quickly, and it creates a lot of creosote, resulting in having to clean your chimeny more often.

Hardwood burns hotter and longer than pine, and produces harldy any creosote. As far as cooking on your fireplace, um, why? Save that for when you go camping. I know it seems new and exciting now, but trust me, the novely of a fireplace will wear away, then you'll hardly use it, because they require alot of maintenance.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 PM

20,378 posts, read 37,934,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
... trust me, the novely of a fireplace will wear away, then you'll hardly use it, because they require alot of maintenance.
Yep, BTDT and don't want to do it again...always worrying about an ember popping out and igniting a carpet when you aren't there to watch for it. We've two gas FPs now, love them, flip a switch for on or off and you're done.

Here's how my sister heats her home with wood, with a sheet metal enclosure wrapping around a wood stove and then tied into her home's forced air system.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:46 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,119,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yep, BTDT and don't want to do it again...always worrying about an ember popping out and igniting a carpet when you aren't there to watch for it. We've two gas FPs now, love them, flip a switch for on or off and you're done.

Here's how my sister heats her home with wood, with a sheet metal enclosure wrapping around a wood stove and then tied into her home's forced air system.
I had a similar pellet stove setup when i live in Ohio, boy did that work great

Old 02-23-2012, 01:36 PM

57 posts, read 108,078 times
My wife and I love our fireplace, and use it multiple times a week. We don't really use it as our primary source of heat though, we would go through way too much wood! Also if you are using the fireplace as your only source of heat you will have to get up periodically at night to keep it going.

One thing that I don't think anyone has touched on yet is that when you start the fire you have to get a good updraft going up the flue (sp?). If you don't the smoke will come out of the fireplace and into the apartment. It is usually not too hard to do this if you take a rolled up newspaper and light the end of it, sticking the lit end up the flue for a minute until you see the smoke get pulled up. It can be a little harder to do this on cold, windy days.

I haven't ever tried cooking on our fire, other than s'mores. My apartment has a kitchen for that ;-)
Just messin' with you!

Enjoy,

Brian

Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 AM

18 posts, read 37,247 times
Mike, can you tell how much more your electric bill runs when you use the electric fireplaces?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM

20,378 posts, read 37,934,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOOTER44 View Post
Mike, can you tell how much more your electric bill runs when you use the electric fireplaces?
The FPs are gas, no electricity involved. Since I only run them during heating season, when the main gas furnace is also running, there's no way I can figure the cost of running them. IMO is can't be much, only use them a few hours at a time, or if the power is out (very rare).

See this posting for my exact bills.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM

18 posts, read 37,247 times
Whoops! Meant to type "gas"! I figured also the cost couldn't be too outrageous -- to the point of not using them. The convenience (flipping the switch) certainly dictates gas over wood for me! I have had wood-burning for several years and like you - BTDT!!! Next one will be gas.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 AM

thanks. . im going to have to try it out when i get there. . . it may not heat well for me. . and i think it is pretty windy there, so maybe i will just have to stick with the regular heating which is electric. use the fireplace every now and again. i see that i will have to try it out. i have heard and read up the rumpsfeld fireplaces are the best heat producing style fireplaces ever made. i dont think this complex has them. when i build my home i am going to make sure i have rumpsfeld fireplaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or