U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 06:17 PM

13 posts, read 25,239 times

Advertisements

Hello, i am moving to the springs this year in an apartment. The Berkshire apartments. iwould love it if there was someone here that lived there and can tell me about the heating of the wood burning fireplaces there. i will have a 2 bedroom one bath. or if anyone can tell me there using their fireplaces in an apartment how they use it in detail. i never used on before. thank so much
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
Do you mean how to use a wood-burning fireplace in general? How to Use a Wood Burning Fireplace

Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 21 days ago)

10,299 posts, read 10,454,166 times
I had a wood burning fireplace when I lived in Westminster. This was the apartment I lived in when I got married, and my wife moved into it as well. Wood burning fireplaces are awesome. We used to get a fire going and then open a pack of those Hillshire Farm "Lil' Smokies" and do weenie roasts in the fireplace! Sometimes we would roast marsh mellows too.

Good times!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:12 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,619,808 times
This should answer some questions:
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/ap/sbap...oodburning.pdf
RP

Old 02-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks guys can you tell me if they heated the apratment well in the winter?/ can you tell me if it helped your heating bills? can you tell me about cleaning the firelplace and creasote log usage . .

I am also seeing all these new type og logs. . like the java log. . and logs you can use to cook food with in the fireplace. . .

anyone have any information to share??

Last edited by agnthvc; 02-14-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,200,201 times
I know we personally heat our entire house (1250 sq.ft.) with wood during the winter here in Oregon. We have the chimney swept by a professional once a year and just have to clean out the ashes,etc. when it gets dirty.

However, I'm not sure about Colo. Springs, but the Denver Metro Area has woodburning restrictions, meaning there are certain days you can't burn wood. I wouldn't plan on it being your sole source of heat. Make sure you have a good back up source as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM

DELTA Wow that was fast . . thanks so much for this. .

yeah i was readuing that document about restrictions. . but i am in colorado springs. . or i should say going to be there this year. the apratment is basically 900 sq feet. . i have neve use a fireplace before. and i want to hear other's experience with using them. everything you can tell me in detail,, please share. i am also going to cook with it too .. thats the part i really want to try. i am trying to learn and gather as much info as i can. all you great knowledge will be appreciated . ..

Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 PM

29 posts, read 181,984 times
El Paso county has yet to enact most of the emissions / pollution controls that Denver and it's surrounding counties have. There are no wood-burning fireplace restrictions here. Whether or not a wood burning fireplace will heat your entire home throughout the winter relies mostly on what type of fireplace is installed, the architecture of your apartment and the way you maintain the fire. For the most part, especially in an apartment home that doesn't have abundant space to store firewood, heating your home with a wooden fireplace would be much more expensive than using a gas furnace. It would also be much more dangerous. Improperly maintained fireplaces and chimneys can cause the risk of both uncontrolled fire as well as poison gas inhalation. Always make sure your fireplace is in tip top shape! Fireplaces, especially in the metropolitan areas along the front range, are more of a luxury item than a main source of heat. Many with fireplaces tend to keep their thermostat lower and use a fireplace during peak times of the day, for instance, in the evening after work and before bed. Never leave your fireplace unattended.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 AM

2,866 posts, read 7,098,661 times
Just an FYI...I've been seeing a recurring post on Craigslist R&R about Berkshire apts having 4 electrical fires in the past year and they refuse to do anything about it. DOn't know if it's just a disgruntled tenant.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM

115 posts, read 405,276 times
We are wanting to buy a home in the springs soon and we really want a wood burning fireplace and a gas stove but it is very difficult to find either one let alone both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or