U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 AM

12 posts, read 28,583 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife and I are considering a move from Las Vegas to Denver. My wife is going to take a job in Colorado Springs and I will look for work when I get there. I am an accountant so I'm hoping there are jobs that will be a good fit. I don't believe there will be as much opportunity in CS so I'm thinking we should live in Highlands Ranch and my wife can commute to CS. I have a couple of questions and I'm hoping you guys can provide your thoughts.

1)Is this a doable commute. Mapquest says that its about an hour but I'm not sure that takes into account any traffic.
2) I'm pretty outdoorsy and my wife is getting that way. We have twin 16 month old daughters that I would like to raise with an appreciation for the outdoors. Is there much hiking, biking, etc close to Highlands Ranch.
3) Outside of Vail, Aspen, etc, are there good weekend getaway spots for us.
4) I like to camp and backpack but I'm not fond of campsites. I did a lot of car camping and backpacking in the Smokeys. Is there something similar close to Denver.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,106,824 times
Live in Colorado Springs, don't make your wife do a 2hr+ commute each day.

Plent of jobs in COS with 600k+ metro population.

You'll love it here. I moved from Vegas 4 years ago and don't regret it for a second!

Check out jobs at the following large employers:
- USAA Insurance
- T Rowe Price
- Progressive Insurance
- Memorial Hospital
- Penrose Hospital

Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 PM

553 posts, read 1,415,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW3 View Post
1)Is this a doable commute. Mapquest says that its about an hour but I'm not sure that takes into account any traffic.
2) I'm pretty outdoorsy and my wife is getting that way. We have twin 16 month old daughters that I would like to raise with an appreciation for the outdoors. Is there much hiking, biking, etc close to Highlands Ranch.
3) Outside of Vail, Aspen, etc, are there good weekend getaway spots for us.
4) I like to camp and backpack but I'm not fond of campsites. I did a lot of car camping and backpacking in the Smokeys. Is there something similar close to Denver.
1) Yes, about an hour each way. The traffic is predominantly from the Springs to Denver in the AM, so she'd be going the opposite direction of the lion's share of the traffic.
2) Yes, but I honestly think it's better (and closer) to the Springs. You've got Palmer Park and Cheyenne Canyon Park accessible without leaving the city limits, and Pike National Forest right next door.
3) More than you can count.
4) Yes, but again, there's likely better opportunities in close proximity to the Springs. I'm the Scoutmaster for a local Boy Scout Troop. We can go a couple years without returning to the same camping area. Some are improved campsites, others are roughing it completely.

So, I'll echo PokerMunkee's remarks. What on Earth makes you think Highland Ranch will be a better homestead than Colorado Springs. If you had a job set up in Denver, it might make sense, but if she's got a job and you're still looking.........I'd target COS as a destination.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 PM

10,679 posts, read 28,500,687 times
I live in HR, no way would I do that commute.

Colorado Springs is a lovely small city with all types of housing available.

Plus on your off days it's only an hour and a half to Denver.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
The City of COLO SPGS runs a bus service called FREX that very nice buses running between COLO SPGS and Denver.

Check out the page called RIDING FREX to see all its features.

I'd never make my wife drive that HR to COLO SPGS commute. Live here and commute to Denver if you must, but you may find a job here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM

794 posts, read 1,493,653 times
What people are trying to say, nicely, is that it is an hour commute - mostly. Sometimes it will be 90 minutes with traffic. Sometimes it will be two hours with weather. Sometimes there is sufficient weather and/or accidents to close I-25 completely. And it will be always high stress. Always.

If you are determined to work in Denver, think about Castle Rock.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM

64 posts, read 112,755 times
We currently live in Highlands Ranch (approx. 5 months) and my husband works in Littleton. Everyone told us the same thing about the commute that is why I found a place close to my husband's job. However, I don't think my husband will be with this company long term so we had to look at buying where we would be most happy long term. That being said, we are purchasing a house in Monument which is just north of Colorado Springs. If you'd like to PM me with any questions about Highlands Ranch I would be happy to try and answer them.

I don't think I'd want my husband having to make the drive from here to Colorado Springs everyday. He has some flexibility in his job and that is why he is willing to make the commute from Monument to Littleton until he finds another job that is closer.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 PM

12 posts, read 28,583 times
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I read some posts that said the job market in CS might not be as strong as Denver. Maybe this isn't accurate. Long term I think we will end up in Denver which was the driving force behind looking at living in the south side of the town. I've also read some mixed reviews about CS. Perhaps it isn't as small as I imagine it to be. I've spent time in Denver a few times and like the city. I've never been to CS though. Is the north side of town favorable to the south or does it really matter.

Thanks again.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:52 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
Colorado Springs area has about 600,000 people. It is not a worse job market than Denver, but it is a smaller market, because it is a smaller city/metropolitan area. It is still pretty big, though. As for areas, some people like the north side of town better, some prefer west, some prefer south, but southeast is generally out. It depends on what you're looking for. Some people also like the surrounding areas of Monument, Falcon, Security/Widefield, Fountain, etc.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM

590 posts, read 2,008,613 times
I would not attempt to make that commute unless I could stay home or go in late when the weather is bad. Colorado Springs has a lot of hiking and biking trails and city parks within the city limits. I would question the need to live in Highlands Ranch when your wife already has a job lined up in Colorado Springs and you are unsure if you can get a job in Colorado Springs. To minimize the issue, I would live in the North side of Colorado Springs. That way if you end up commuting to Denver it won't be as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or