Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:43 PM

641 posts, read 2,276,559 times

Advertisements

Good post Sapphire. When I read the title of your post, I thought it was going to be a "bash COS" kind of post.....my own baggage I guess....but it wasn't. Very good info you provided.

I'm retired AF, so have to agree with #6. hee hee. It's just a different culture.

I've been attached to Army and a couple Joint units in my career, so I've known and worked with many soldiers, sailors, etc.....the last time, I was stationed on Camp Red Cloud (CRC), Korea with the 2nd Infantry (2004-2005).

I called it the "no smile zone," especially if you were AF.

You'd see a soldier walking toward you on a long sidewalk or street.......military folk, in uniform who don't know each other, will often nod to each other silently or, exchange "how ya' doin's"....after all...we're on the same side.

Nope! They'd often just snear and keep walking. *chuckle*

A quick trip down to the largest Air base in Korea....OSAN.....hey...everyone nods and says "how ya' doin?"...gee, everyone's so friendly, here.

Army folks one on one are just like anyone else, hard working and very good people, but corporately, they don't like AF much, or pie-eating civillians!

Last edited by Terytee; 02-16-2012 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire904 View Post

2. I know most people say this is a conservative city, but I don't see it. I don't think a conservative city would promote medical marijuana everywhere and hold a gay pride parade. With that in mind, there is a medical marijuana store on 1 out of every 5 corners (may be a slight exageration). There is also an abundance of lesbians and some gay men, but mostly women.

3. Most people here tend to claim Christianity as their belief, however there are other faiths as well.

7. There are A LOT of deer here, mainly in people's yards and crossing the street. We have resident deer that come across from Ute Valley park and eat the trees, but you have to be careful driving around dinner time. Please take it slow and don't be alarmed if you see a couple or 5 hanging out in your front yard. They're everywhere!

10. As far as other neighborhoods, there are some nice, normal areas, but there's also a little ghetto spread throughout the city tucked in every direction. Yes, the area by Fountain & Academy is the worst, but it's not just concentrated in that one area. There are pockets of ghetto on Fillmore, in Old Colorado City, along Platte and downtown. Briargate is nice, but it's just a sea of houses and it's too far from the mountains for me.

13. If you want an art museum, science museum, zoo or botanical gardens, you'll have to go to Denver. The Springs doesn't have them (with the exception of the ProRodeo Hall of fame)
Just a couple of comments:

2. Politically, it is somewhat of a conservative area, but -- at least to me -- it's not an "in your face" conservatism. That conservatism seems to mix with the Colorado attitude of "to each his own".

3. After 18 months, I've yet to encounter any pushy Christianity.

7. I've yet to see a dear yet, except up at the Catholic center (not sure what it's called).

10. Calling these areas "ghetto" is a gross exaggeration.

13. Yes, as with restaurant diversity, Denver is the place with more museums, etc.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:18 PM

38 posts, read 225,148 times
Thank you all for your responses! My sincere apologies for forgetting the Cheyenne zoo. I planned on going over Christmas when they have the lights set up, but didn't get around to it for some odd reason, so I've actually never been there. Now that I read your posts, I REALLY want to go!

Phetaroi - If you want to see a bunch of deer, feel free to come over to the west side. All up and down from Old Col. City to the AF Academy. I haven't encountered any pushy Christians either. I was just observing that it seems to be the majority. I think most people here respect others' faith choices.

In response to Old Col. City being ghetto, I was mainly focusing on the east part, where DHS used to be. I've had to travel to the old DHS building a few times because I support their IT equipment and it wasn't a pretty site. I suppose since the homeless shelter is right up the road on Bijou, it was a great spot for the building. Also, I lived off of Fillmore & I-25 when I first moved here and I would not walk around at night by myself in that area. I don't feel comfortable in areas like 8th St. & Moreno (where the Walmart is) or other parts of town that I see people in walking comas, drugged up, hitting on me with slurred words, unkept and smelly. I have worked in these areas because I work for a mental/behavioural health facility and there seem to be a lot of them all over town. of course, I'm comparing this city with others I have lived in where there was a more definite line between lower income, ghetto, mid and higher-income groups. It just seems that in Col. Springs, there is no specific area for anything, it's all mixed.

Have a great weekend, all! I'm going hiking and maybe hittin' the archery range.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Great breakdown! I'd only slightly amend 9-11:

9) Many people can't afford to live in that area, even though it is very nice. You pay a premium there, which is fine but there are other beautiful parts of the city that are more affordable.

10) Old Colorado City is not ghetto, sorry. It can be tacky, strange, hippie, off-putting even, but ghetto it ain't.

11) I would disagree that jobs are aplenty. COS has above average unemployment and not the most diverse economy. I'm glad you guys had immediate success but many people struggle to find work.

Good luck wherever you go!
9. Disagree-just as affordable as anywhere else in the city, save for Pikes Peak park I pay $800 month for a nice 2 bedroom townhome near centennial and GOG. I paid more than that when I lived near Ft. carson.

10. Disagree- Have you been around the South 21st trailer park lately? That's ghetto if I've ever seen it....And the whole area is full of run down 600 sq ft, 120 year old cottages that should be condemned. They're not "Historical" they're hideous. Lots of meth labs in the area as well. And I agree with the OP about the 8th st Walmart. After dark, all the homeless and meth addicts come out in droves. Don't beleive me? Go in the McDonalds near 8th/Moreno around 10pm, see how many times you get harrassed by bums begging for change. They love to hand out in there. If I were the ownder I'd throw them all out, because they're scaring away customers. My dad has one of the few houses/properties left in the area that isn't a piece of garbage.

11. Again, disagree. Its all about what field you're in. It may be true for someone who has little education or is in some weird field that the Springs doesn't support, but I'm in the automotive/heavy truck repair business, there's no shortage of jobs anywhere in the city. I could quit my job today and have another tomorrow. If you have a degree in social services, IT or the service/repair industry, then you'll have no problem finding employment here.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:34 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,058 times
Bob - Just who are the "we" you're referring to?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:41 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I think the problem a few of us are having is with the term "ghetto". Have some of you ever been in a ghetto? Like parts of NYC or Washington? There is nothing like that in COS. Are there poor neighborhoods? Of course. Are some neighborhoods not as safe? Definitely. But I've yet to see a real ghetto.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
9. Disagree-just as affordable as anywhere else in the city, save for Pikes Peak park I pay $800 month for a nice 2 bedroom townhome near centennial and GOG. I paid more than that when I lived near Ft. carson.

10. Disagree- Have you been around the South 21st trailer park lately? That's ghetto if I've ever seen it....And the whole area is full of run down 600 sq ft, 120 year old cottages that should be condemned. They're not "Historical" they're hideous. Lots of meth labs in the area as well. And I agree with the OP about the 8th st Walmart. After dark, all the homeless and meth addicts come out in droves. Don't beleive me? Go in the McDonalds near 8th/Moreno around 10pm, see how many times you get harrassed by bums begging for change. They love to hand out in there. If I were the ownder I'd throw them all out, because they're scaring away customers. My dad has one of the few houses/properties left in the area that isn't a piece of garbage.

11. Again, disagree. Its all about what field you're in. It may be true for someone who has little education or is in some weird field that the Springs doesn't support, but I'm in the automotive/heavy truck repair business, there's no shortage of jobs anywhere in the city. I could quit my job today and have another tomorrow. If you have a degree in social services, IT or the service/repair industry, then you'll have no problem finding employment here.
9. Oh that's awesome, I stand corrected then. That's an excellent price for a place up there, I looked at placed in the area a couple years ago and wasn't able to find a deal like that. However it's not as affordable as anywhere else in the city, that's a pretty strong generalization. Housing is cheaper further southwest and in other pockets of the city.

10. Yes, I used to live very near there. The bolded part above is where I think the problem lies - have you seen a ghetto? As a Springs native I'll assume you've never lived anywhere else which means you likely have a very provincial and insular view towards poverty and "ghetto". But if you have lived somewhere else then never mind.

11. What I said stands- I referred to the unemployment rate, which is a fact. I also referred to my friends (fellow UCCS grads) who have struggled to find work, which is also a fact, and none of whom are in "weird" fields. I'm glad that you're confident and have had success in the market there, though, seriously.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 PM

67 posts, read 159,446 times
I agree with Phetaroi. The term "ghetto" was loosely used. I am from the Springs and moved to Sarasota, FL and trust me when I say the Springs does NOT have a ghetto. OMG, a ghetto, (in Sarasota), is a place you see ppl lying on the ground in broad daylight passed out with a bottle in hand while police drive by and do nothing. A ghetto, (in Sarasota), is a place where someone dies at least once a quarter from a gun shot, stabbing, or some other violent means. I could go on and on but what I am trying to say is Co. Springs is Mayberry compared to the southeast, (it's not only Sarasota). I like most of what the OP wrote but I wouldn't want anyone from this area of the country to be discouraged from moving to the Springs thinking there are "ghettos there. I am moving back to my home in WP in July and can't wait!!!!! Keep the lights on for me.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 AM

236 posts, read 479,326 times
Quote:
I know most people say this is a conservative city, but I don't see it. I don't think a conservative city would promote medical marijuana everywhere and hold a gay pride parade. With that in mind, there is a medical marijuana store on 1 out of every 5 corners (may be a slight exageration). There is also an abundance of lesbians and some gay men, but mostly women
coming from a truly liberal area, the whole state of Co bleeds very red imo, maybe a little less up near Denver. I think conservatives understand very well the dangers of alcohol over marijuana, it took a couple generations but finally people are starting to realize that our government actually sells us something "legally" that is nearly 100X worse (Alcohol)

I am very anti-alcohol, I've had a bad experience with it from about birth until I was 9 years old so I never really got into it.

COS singled out from the other areas was probably the reddest place I visited, I covered some ground and plenty of ground in COS.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 AM

553 posts, read 1,635,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post
coming from a truly liberal area, the whole state of Co bleeds very red imo
We have a Democratic Governor. Both of our Senators are Democrats. Three out of seven Members of Congress are Democrats. We have Boulder.

No, the whole of Colorado is anything but "very red." We're very much a swing state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs