U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:00 PM

20,124 posts, read 37,349,671 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the update.

There are aspects of living here that don't please me all that much, but we'll be staying at least a few more years, we're in year 9 now.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 06:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,623,645 times
Thanks for updating the thread with your views and expire sapphire. I hope you can find the ideal city. Let me know if I can be of any help. I have studied most of the country and lost track of how many people I've helped find places that suit them. I love the way you addressed real issues in our city. Some people like them, some people don't, but they are all very real facets of our city.

I'll have to admit, I enjoy the bipolar weather. It was one of the things that really attracted me to the area. The drivers are terrible, but I think it is the abundance of young people combined with the mix of people resulting in a lack of a cohesive "style". On the other hand, I've only been stuck in traffic once or twice in the last 2 years and I had allergies at one point for 3 days and get less colds here than in other places. 2 times in two years, which is similar to my long run average, but I've put myself substantially more in harms way by deliberately helping people that were contagious on many occasions.

Last edited by lurtsman; 06-08-2014 at 07:00 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 AM

9,988 posts, read 10,199,372 times
Awesome follow-up post, Saphire. I thought your first post was really good, too and generated a lot of good discussion.

I've never actually lived in Colorado Springs, but as a kid who went to high school in Southern Colorado, I spent a lot of time tooling around Colorado Springs every chance I got. I used to do a lot of hiking and trail running and sometimes drove up to Colorado Springs just to trail run in Garden of the Gods. I have a lot of fond memories of Colorado Springs and still consider it a possible place to land once I retire from the Marine Corps. (I'll comment on your military comments below.) I have no delusions about it being this utopian place at the foot of the Rockies. It's just I recognize problems exist everywhere and we make a choice to focus on the negatives or the positives. I think you did a good job considering them both.

Helen Hunt falls is another fantastic "after work" day hike option for those who live in the area and want something to do on a summer weeknight after work. It's in city limits, but it feels like a world away from the city. I don't know if being outdoors is something that appeals to you, but if it does and you've not yet done Helen Hunt Falls, be sure to do it before you move away.

I can understand the wild fires being a deal breaker. Especially the most recent ones. These have been more severe than usual, but fires are not an uncommon occurrence in Colorado, and that is an unfortunate reality Coloradans live with.

Bad drivers...One thing I've noticed is that no matter where someone is from, no matter what city they are writing about, people complain about the drivers. I've lived in California where if you are going 95 mph on I-5 someone will pass you up and flip you off for "slowing them down." I currently live in Virginia, where the traffic is obscene and follows no logical pattern like in other places. People don't stop at red lights here. Plus the drivers out here are as rude as I've ever seen. I've stopped using my turn signal on the interstate because unlike any other place I've lived, here in VA people will pace you to prevent you from getting over. Everywhere else they either surge forward and you can move in behind them or they allow you to come over. Here, it is like a sport. Prevent someone from changing lanes. After a while of that nonsense I start coming over and don't use my signal until it's too late for someone to play games. My point is, people will always complain about the drivers in their area. In many ways, driving really does bring out the worst in us. I don't doubt the traffic and drivers in Colorado Springs can be frustrating to deal with. What I doubt is this makes Colorado Springs unique. In actuality, it makes Colorado Springs just like anywhere else.

As for the military, I have heard this complaint a few times. The truth is the military attracts people who tend to be risk takers, for obvious reasons. The military also attracts people with strong personalities who like to take charge, also for obvious reasons. This sometimes manifests itself in aggressive driving, probably exacerbating the traffic and driving issues you've cited.

My brother lived in Colorado Springs for a while and had no use for most of the Army troops he encountered. I had encounters of my own. I am a prior enlisted Marine officer and attended the University of Colorado as an active duty sergeant. These were the same years my brother lived in Colorado Springs and I used to go down there and hand out with him. I once attempted to reign in a young soldier and his buddy who were giving a waitress a difficult time. He told me that "until I start serving my country I have nothing to say to him" or words to that effect. I guess even though I wore my own military-style haircut it did not occur to them I was already "serving my country." Worse yet, their premise was fatally flawed. Since when did "serving one's country" become a green light to pi$$ all over everyone else?

I'd like to say it's an Army thing, bud sadly I've seen this chip on the shoulders of my fellow Marines from time to time. I even kicked Marines out of local businesses while stationed in Southern California. We call it the "service" for a reason and unfortunately troops often forget this. I appreciate society's outpouring of support for its armed forces over the past 15 years, but one of the side affects has been a growing "entitlement mindset" amongst the troops. It is my personal mission to stamp this out wherever I encounter it.

Finally, I don't blame you at all for wanting to move away from larger cities. There are a lot of benefits to them, but they come at a high price. I wish you the best of luck in finding the place that suits what you are looking for.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,087,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Awesome follow-up post, Saphire. I thought your first post was really good, too and generated a lot of good discussion.

I've never actually lived in Colorado Springs, but as a kid who went to high school in Southern Colorado, I spent a lot of time tooling around Colorado Springs every chance I got. I used to do a lot of hiking and trail running and sometimes drove up to Colorado Springs just to trail run in Garden of the Gods.

Finally, I don't blame you at all for wanting to move away from larger cities. There are a lot of benefits to them, but they come at a high price. I wish you the best of luck in finding the place that suits what you are looking for.
Having lived in CS for about 10 years now, I can honestly say that it is a great place to visit; rent before you buy.

CS has the makings of a great city but it seems like the leaders hold it back. To me, a transportation system other then driving madly around town would help.

Something is definitely missing in this town. Great for hiking, biking, the great outdoors. Most of the people have big hearts and are friendly. I am glad for the experience; but am so ready to move on.

Thank you OP for your candor and honesty, I feel so much better about my move.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 PM
g89

126 posts, read 134,953 times
great post

Old 06-20-2014, 10:36 AM

9,169 posts, read 5,969,820 times
I have now been here 2 and a half years. It still doesn't really feel like home. It is just a place. I'm OK here. Of the places I've lived...I like VA and WA better and IA and OH less.

The poster who said that psycho drivers are much worse in VA is absolutely correct. Until you've sat on the I-95 parking lot, you don't know what traffic looks like...of course in Cali, they often tailgate at really high speeds, which terrifies me. I drive a minivan. It does not stop, go, or turn on a dime! Bad drivers can be anywhere, and there are definitely worse in other places. A friend recently told me how bad it was in Atlanta, too.

The military...oh, where to start. I grew up spending time in Quantico town in VA, full of marines. And then married an Army grunt. He went back in some years ago, and that's what brought us here. He's out again now, this time for good. My experience as the wife of an enlisted man...bearing in mind, he did become an NCO, and we're older than your typical enlisted family... Most enlisted are kids. They're kids! Kids who had no real prospects other than the military at the time, for the most part. Sure some of them are risk takers or want to lead, some are patriots and heroes. Most are just kids who didn't have a better option in this economy. The military provides. Their wives are kids too. Kids with kids. Children with guns and big muscles and short haircuts. The entitlement attitude, sadly that's not really just a military thing. Generations of kids are coming up being told they're Mommy's little snowflakes and can have anything they want. Entitlement is a huge problem in today's America. I could expound upon that but don't want to get off track too badly. Point is, these are young people that are thrown into some serious challenges before they've even matured enough to know who they are and what they're about. Despite being discharged for months now, my old man still gets calls from some of his young soldiers asking for advice.

I'll be here a while regardless, the time has come to just let my kids grow without being moved around so much. After that...who knows? Maybe by then I'll have grown to love this place. Maybe I'll go back to VA, or somewhere else.

Like Lurtsman, I can say that I have some idea of what it's like in different parts of the nation, and if OP is contemplating a move and hasn't decided where to, I might be able to make suggestions if given some input.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:50 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,087,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I have now been here 2 and a half years. It still doesn't really feel like home. It is just a place. I'm OK here. Of the places I've lived...I like VA and WA better and IA and OH less.
Know what you mean; love my house; but it just has never felt like "home." What is that, I wonder? I feel like a survivor on that TV show; just making it through until the next phase. Honestly, no matter were else I have lived, it always felt like "home." Hmm. thoughts to ponder.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:03 AM

17,792 posts, read 8,369,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Know what you mean; love my house; but it just has never felt like "home." What is that, I wonder? I feel like a survivor on that TV show; just making it through until the next phase. Honestly, no matter were else I have lived, it always felt like "home." Hmm. thoughts to ponder.
I agree with both of you. Just feels like a place to live. Blah.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:26 AM

4,882 posts, read 6,519,583 times
I personally love it here and can't imagine living any place else. So to each his own, I guess! I don't think it is perfect, but I don't think any place is. This is home to me.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 AM

2,513 posts, read 5,760,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
. . . Just feels like a place to live. Blah.
I've been curious - your posts make you sound like a cosmoplitan, enjoy living in major city type person. Why did you move to Colorado Springs when you did?

What was it that made you decide to move to the Springs - what did you hear about it that made you choose it? What were you expecting and hoping to find that turned out to not be there for you? Was the information you gathered inaccurate, or were you looking through rose colored glasses, or what - what's the source of the disappointment or disillusionment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs