U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM

103 posts, read 174,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Wow. How close were you?
I wasn't even there....we have a couple game cameras set up around the watering hole and they take pictures when there's movement nearby. Amazing to see all the creatures that roam the area! And we do have snakes...we've seen rattlers, bull, and garter snakes....even at 8000' feet elevation. Not many though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 AM

489 posts, read 856,551 times
I live in the Garden Ranch area. To get to my neighborhood, any wildlife would need to cross either Academy Blvd, Union, or Austin Bluffs, all multi-lane roads. You'd think that would keep the critters out. Nope. Deer, fox, skunk, raccoon. I get 'em all. Well, I've never seen bears in the neighborhood, but some of my neighbors have.

As for snakes.....sorry, 'I'm Moving,' but I get a few in the backyard every year, and I've had three or four show up in the house (that's over a span of 16 years). Now, we're not talking rattlesnakes here, these things are generally no more than a foot long and no bigger around than my pinkie. Spreading moth balls in the garden behind my house keeps them away from the house pretty effectively. I've dispatched more than a few with the lawnmower.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 AM

552 posts, read 498,101 times
As others have stated, depends on time of year, where you live, etc. In our "Skyway" neightborhood in SW CO Springs, near Bear Creek Park, we have several herds of deer, at least 3-5 of which seem to sit/relax in our front yard daily. Sept and Oct, we'll see black bear every week or two. A neighbor had to chase one out of his garage (wielding a baseball bat) last year. Foxes trot about like they own the place. We hear of mountain lion sightings but have never seen one ourselves. My spouse saw a bobcat climb one of our pine trees, jump on our roof, then jump off via another tree. Very few, if any, snake sightings, though I suspect they're about. I also suspect the density of wildlife decreases as one moves east into town.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:55 PM

2,439 posts, read 4,764,000 times
It depends on where you live ore than anything. From my home and surrounding neighborhood: I have seen: Bears, Deer, Elk, Antelope, Foxes, Coyotes, and many other smaller animals... And a friend of mine that lives just a mile closer to the forest than me has mountain lions show up in his backyard regularly, because they apparently live in a nearby canyon.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,221,190 times
Out on the plain near Widefield...got deer, antelopes and prairie dogs for sure. Squirrels stage epic ninja squirrel battles in the tree by my house. Pretty sure we have coyote packs outside the fringes of my neighborhood, cause it sounds like a troupe of yappy dogs out there pretty much every night. Looking at the scrubby tumbleweed high plains desert ecosystem out here, I'd expect rattlers to live there and I'm sure they do, but probably not to the density you'd find in warmer climes like TX and AZ.

The only wildlife that has threatened me so far are a couple of bees that are a little too interested in me when I'm out smoking a cigarette on the porch. But bees always seem to be after me anyways.

Urban raccoons...I saw a TV show about that recently. Raccoons have adapted very, very well to urban living. Wildlife biologists are just now really starting to research and understand their social behaviors, territory needs, etc. Too bad they carry disease, get killed on roads all the time, and can jack up your attic right good...'cause they're cuter'n heck. We had a group host a raccoon party in a neighbor's yard back in Washington, there were about half a dozen to maybe ten, and they were playing...sounded like a bunch of little pigs or something, they were making really weird noises.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM

582 posts, read 536,534 times
Almost without fail, we encounter deer every time we head to the north west part of the Springs.

Fun story: my husband was at the intersection of Platte and Airport, sitting at a red light, when out ambles a bear. He watches it in amazement as it crosses the street... he looks at the lady next to him and she says "Did I see what I just thought I saw?"

Also, where I work, out on the eastern side of Colorado Springs, about two years ago someone spotted a mama bear and her two cubs out on the football fields.

Seeing a pack of coyotes around Uintah and Union around 5:30am was crazy too!

Last edited by hollyt00; 03-06-2012 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 AM

2,738 posts, read 4,355,457 times
I live in Rockrimmon, and the deer are ridiculous around here. I regularly get this like 25 point mutant buck that just enjoys laying in my front yard. I can almost get close enough to touch him.

I've seen one cat in my entire 32 years of living here, and that was off Gold Camp Road. Seen thousands of Elk, but never in the Springs. The luckiest I ever got was coming down 30th street after work, and getting stopped in front of Glen Eyrie by a herd of over 100 Big Horn sheep! never in my life had I ever seen one, then all of a sudden, bam, there's like 100 Rams all at once. I took pictures, they're on an SD card somewhere, I'll have to find it.

Bears, yea, pretty frequent. They love to get in my trash. They wont bother you unless they have cubs in tow, or you intentionally provoke them.

I remember a few years ago, i was coming home from work, and the cops had my street blocked off cause there was a bear in a tree. I was all "Who cares? Just leave it alone and it will go away" They take bear sightings way too seriously around here. Newsflash, we live in bear country, and they were here first.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 PM

67 posts, read 59,310 times
[quote]Newsflash, we live in bear country, and they were here first.
[quote]

Amen!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 PM

60 posts, read 134,829 times
I just posted about this topic as well! I have lived here for a year and a half. I have seen lots of deer and a few foxes. But this past fall we had a close encounter with a bear while in our neighbor's yard. And today I saw a mountain lion while sitting outside in my yard in the late afternoon. Our neighbors literally sit outside with shotguns. We thought it was a "texan thing"--but now we're thinking of doing the same. It's scary. And we don't live in the mountains or some rural area... we're right off Nevada in a busy residential area! While I get a kick out of the surprises that come along with living in Colorado I do worry about our safety and our pets safety. Hiking in the mountains seems like an extreme sport now. It's def. something to worry about and not something I really concerned myself with prior to moving out here.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,663,250 times
I've had several friends tell me bobcats have been moving into their neighborhoods and yards this year - mostly on the north end of town - but even on the east side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs