U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM

10 posts, read 11,746 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to COS this summer. We have a soon to be 5yr old who will be entering preschool or Kindergarten when we arrive. I will be working at Peterson, and have no problem with up to a 30 minute commute. Can anyone suggest some good areas to consider renting a single family house for sub $1900?

I am guessing, just a guess mind you, that in COS limiting my commute to 30 minutes in the springs opens up most of the town with the exeptions perhaps of some areas to the far North or West. Thus my major considerations I suppose would be good kindergarten, and a safe neighboorhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM

727 posts, read 1,122,811 times
I can't comment on the schools, but any rental commanding $1900/month will most likely be in a very safe neighborhood.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:30 AM

10 posts, read 11,746 times
I was reading on another thread that D12 schools are real solid and that the Skyway area is supposed to be nice... it also seems to be a reasonable commute from Peterson. I do not see much in the way of rentals in that area though.

I've also been told that Briargate may have possibilities. I'll read up on that somemore before I ask any "dumb" questions.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:42 AM

24 posts, read 49,696 times
Best schools hands down are D20. We just went through all this - drove from Pete to far north each day until our rental was available -- it was 45min on average up powers. That being said, you could live anywhere from Pine Glen or whatever it's called south and be within your driving preference. Briargate, pine meadows or pine glen or whatever it's called --- all very nice houses well under your cap, with great amenities close by etc. hubs is at schriever but was willing to make the commute (which, actually, only ends up being 35-40min max b/c of the hours he's traveling; never at rush hour) b/c of the good schools and the lack of rentals mid-year. We live up by the north gate of the academy and neither of us has any complaints. It's well worth it. Again, any of the schools in that briargate/pine area are fantastic as well and fit better into your commute preferences. good luck -= make sure you check military by owner too!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:45 PM

4,880 posts, read 6,515,415 times
Technically if we're going by test scores D12 is better than D20, but it is also a lot smaller. Several high schools around D20 are as good as high schools in D20, like Coronado.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 AM

24 posts, read 49,696 times
Sorry - wasn't going by test scores - just going by reputation and personal experience -- I did not mean to suggest that other districts were bad -- but as military, since you don't have time to do the detailed homework, you just go with what people who've lived there recommend (that you trust, obviously) - my neighbor at our last assignment was a spec ed teacher who traveled to all the schools for her specialty -- she recommended D20 hands down; remember, we're usually only in a place for a few years at most, so whatever your particular grade level needs are is where you're going to focus

Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 PM

804 posts, read 1,158,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo3 View Post
Sorry - wasn't going by test scores - just going by reputation and personal experience -- I did not mean to suggest that other districts were bad -- but as military, since you don't have time to do the detailed homework, you just go with what people who've lived there recommend (that you trust, obviously) - my neighbor at our last assignment was a spec ed teacher who traveled to all the schools for her specialty -- she recommended D20 hands down; remember, we're usually only in a place for a few years at most, so whatever your particular grade level needs are is where you're going to focus
Understood, but you can imagine it can get somewhat old/amusing constantly hearing the (factually incorrect) drumbeat of "D20 hands down; D20 hands down" when the fact is, D20 is the THIRD best performing district in the area, behind D38 (North) and D12 (Southwest), both of which routinely rank among the Top 5 districts in Colorado. Not that D20 is BAD mind you; it's just not routinely among the BEST. Few among us have time to become fully informed about absolutely EVERYTHING, but it seems odd that D20 is always touted and hyped while D38 and D12 quietly and actually have the highest student performance, year after year after year. I suspect it may be a realtor thing by which the "great myth of D20 hands down" is perpetuated, there being so many new-built homes to sell in the district.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,553,404 times
We're military, also assigned to Peterson, with young kids. You have a nice budget to work with. We've been here for 2.5 years now and really love the area we are in; so much so that we're planning to retire here. Aside from Briargate (zip 80920) which is a nice area, just down the road are zip codes 80923 and 80918; its the Norwood area. We live in 80923 (we're west of Powers Blvd, so in D11, east of Powers in that zip is D49). We choose this area specifically for the elementary school that is D11 (Scott Elem.; one of the top 3 elem. schools in the area). It takes my husband 15 minutes to get to Peterson, only 20 minutes from the airport, my kids can walk to school, lots of children outside playing in the summer. Very safe and convenient to shopping, ect. If you want to be around lots of other military with a good school district, then the 80923 or 80922 area serve D49 schools, which are also great. Lots of people think D20 is the mecca for schools, but that is not true at all. There are pockets of neighborhoods that are run down, schools that are poorly performing. check out greatschools website too. Look at the individual schools, not the district as a whole.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:56 PM

20,116 posts, read 37,338,573 times
The 3 best school districts in COLO SPGS are D12, D20 and D38, and all 3 have received the "Accredited With Distinction" award from the state of Colorado.

Further, D11 has some outstanding schools and D8 is also a good district that has very worthy schools.

Hard to go wrong here, the general consensus is that D2 (Harrison), though improved, still has a way to go, and that D49 (Falcon) has had a lot of turmoil in the past few years with its leadership being a musical chairs fiasco and with some funding issues too.

All districts are struggling with reduced budgets.

With a budget of $1900/month, most of the city is well within the reach of the OP.

For anyone working at Peterson AFB, most of the city is within a reasonable commute, with my personal favorite being the north Powers corridor and Briargate for its newness, shopping, lower crime rates, etc. We have a lot of folks up here who work at Peterson and Shreiver, even Fort Carson. This location also puts one in close proximity to the USAF Academy for easy access to all of their sports events (football, basketball, hockey, etc) and/or the various base facilities and clubs. I have two households of active duty USAF families two doors up the street from us, etc. One of my civilian buddies lives in Pine Creek (gorgeous) and commutes daily to Shreiver AFB.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:09 PM

193 posts, read 291,580 times
Is there somewhere that has a detailed map regarding what zip codes service which area? Or a simple list? At first I thought i understood: D20 schools must surely correspond with the 80920 zip code. Clearly erroneous as 80922 is serviced by D49, etc.

We don't have children at the moment, but my husband wants me plump with his seed, so it would make sense to consider such things now when relocating. Equally important if we do end up buying and trying to rent to families with children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs