U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:05 PM

62 posts, read 384,623 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am quite confused here by the information out there on the weather in Colorado Springs...
On many sites (including this forum) I have read that Colorado Springs gets about 300 sunny days a year. Yet according to this site I found:

Weather Today - Weather Forecasts, Radar, Maps for 1000s of US and World Cities

Colorado Springs only gets 127 sunny days a year !!! THAT's A HUGE difference...which is correct ???
It shows Alamosa, Pueblo, and Grand Junction as having more sunny days (not familiar with any of those at all).

Weather Facts and Figures hottest coldest sunny cloudy windy

Check that site out and compare what you know to the available statistics. I don't know WHAT to believe anymore. If anyone knows what is accurate I would appreciate it. Is it sunny year round (all day every day) or more so in one particular season ?

I want a really sunny place so this is important - thanks for any help you can provide !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 04:21 AM

26,348 posts, read 75,087,808 times
It appears the discrepancy is in the meaning of "sunny". The 127 days "does not include Partly Sunny or Partly Cloudy days"

A lot of summer days in Colorado Springs are sunny until around 3PM when thunderstorms kick in. By that definition, they are not sunny days.

The real appreciation of sunny days is in winter. A lot of us enjoy the late afternoon thunderstorms in summer and the bright sunny days in winter.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 AM

80,047 posts, read 88,131,192 times
The discrepancy lies with definitions.

From the National Weather Service Website:

Sky/weather - Cloud cover and weather. Weather could include rain, snow, showers, thunderstorms, etc. Cloud cover is as follows

Clear 10% or less cloud cover

Mostly Clear/Mostly Sunny 10% - 30% cloud cover

Partly cloudy/Partly Sunny 40% - 60% cloud cover

Mostly Cloudy 70% - 80% cloud cover

Cloudy/Overcast 90% or greater cloud cover

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/ict/p...20AOP_2006.pdf

I have never lived in COS, but I can pretty much assure you that the vast majority of days are in the Partly Cloudy/Partly Sunny category or better.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 49,005 times
Default May not be 300 days of sunshine a year, but about it's close!

Colorado Springs has more sunshine than places like Santa Barbara, which people always think is paradise. If you love sunny skies, this is the place for you. Yes, they have a winter, but it's mild with about 5 or 6 snows that melt very quick. If you're the type of person who likes to wake up to sunny blue skies almost every morning of the year - Colorado Springs is going to suit you to a T!

Old 09-18-2007, 02:59 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,540,901 times
Chamber of Commerce would have you believe we get 400 days of sunshine a year (lol).

Old 09-19-2007, 12:38 PM

38 posts, read 283,183 times
Snowfall on the mountains has fallen consistently over the years, and other weather patterns have increased for the worse.

Just more results of Global warming.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 46,424 times
I grew up in Alamosa; we called it the land of the cold sunshine.
Yep, lots of sunshine in Alamosa, just cold to cool and windy most of the year.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:59 PM

164 posts, read 677,815 times
I am glad someone else noticed this discrepancy. I think the people who claim there are 300 days of sunshine really mean there 300 days the sun shines for a least 5 minutes. I swear in the last year it has rained or snowed every other day. Which is why I just moved to Texas.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 AM

26,348 posts, read 75,087,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
I am glad someone else noticed this discrepancy. I think the people who claim there are 300 days of sunshine really mean there 300 days the sun shines for a least 5 minutes. I swear in the last year it has rained or snowed every other day. Which is why I just moved to Texas.
Maybe I'll join you.
Is it sunnier in Texas? Less humid? Less bugs? Prettier? More comfortable? Better taxes? Less traffic?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 32,944 times
Cool 300 days of sun

Arizona is the place for sun lovers. I prefer Idaho weather, snow and cold controls population. Born in San Francisco, left the best weather and place to live because of over population...So Arizona is the sun lovers area and Idaho offers wonderful winter, outdoor life...and open spaces.
Co. must be like that too..
enjoy being hot, sweaty...in the fun of the sun! LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs