U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:55 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,466,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
Maybe they'll extend the merge lane on southbound Powers from Dublin (Taco Bell). That is insanely short for merging in...either don't have a merge lane (that short) or extend it.

Oh, and what's with Dublin just west of Powers...two lane traffic for a couple of hundred yards with 6 lanes east of Powers and 4 lanes west of Bridle Pass. Strange...
Does that mean life-long Coloradans will actually learn to merge, instead of stopping short?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 PM

170 posts, read 429,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
Maybe they'll extend the merge lane on southbound Powers from Dublin (Taco Bell). That is insanely short for merging in...either don't have a merge lane (that short) or extend it.

Oh, and what's with Dublin just west of Powers...two lane traffic for a couple of hundred yards with 6 lanes east of Powers and 4 lanes west of Bridle Pass. Strange...
Well I emailed the transportation manager about some of this a few weeks ago. I was asking mostly about the Dublin Blvd Powers area as well as Dublin to Markshefflel and Dublin and Templeton Gap.

Here is her response:
"Dear Kristie, You picked three projects which I have also been worried about. First, the 2-lane section of Dublin, west of Powers, is the result of undeveloped property which has not improved the section of Dublin at their frontage. Many of our City streets are actually built or improved by developers as part of their obligation when properties are developed. This is an important contribution to the City, but it can be a problem when one property does not develop while all others are fully built. This is the case at Dublin and Powers. As soon as that property develops we will require the improvements on Dublin. If the property does not develop, the City has included this improvement on our list of projects for the potential extension of the PPRTA capital projects portion. Assuming the PPRTA extension passes the regional voters, the City will be able to make this improvement without development occurring.

Tutt Avenue is planned to continue straight north of Dublin from the signalized intersection and replace that portion of T-Gap that has a access to Dublin. This project has also been placed on the PPRTA project list for voter approval.

Finally, the extension of Dublin to Marksheffel is anticipated to be completed as a two lane road early next summer, when Fire Station # 21 is opened at the corner of Dublin and Peterson. A proposal to widen this section of Dublin to 4 lanes will be on the PPRTA project list.

I hope this answered your questions. Feel free to contact me if you have other questions or concerns.

Kathleen Krager
Transportation Manager
(719) 385-7628"

So I asked about the PPRTA project list. She sent me a draft list for the PPRTA Board. A vote for all of it would happen in November. I don't know how to attach files, but there are new roads, intersection improvements, bridge reconstruction, pavement, trails, sidewalk, traffic lights, etc. I think she said it will get posted to their website in June.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM

3,334 posts, read 3,340,538 times
Thanks for that Kristie73. The Dublin-Tutt and Dublin Powers areas have been one of those head scratchers for me, especially as I live in that area. Appreciate the info!

Last edited by Fullback32; 05-08-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM

45 posts, read 203,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Does that mean life-long Coloradans will actually learn to merge, instead of stopping short?

You mean yield signs are just funny-shaped stop signs?!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,466,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_FL View Post
You mean yield signs are just funny-shaped stop signs?!
Yes, and long yield lanes are really placed there for emergency airline landings...definitely not for cars.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, and long yield lanes are really placed there for emergency airline landings...definitely not for cars.
Wow. Finally... Someone who thinks (and drives like I do)
I feel like I'm the only who uses the long merge lanes. Everyone else stops for 3 minutes then moves to the far left lane right away. Mean while, a line of 9 cars has built up behind them.

Is anyone reading this that does that?

If so, please explain your reasoning.

(Same for "5-below-the-limit-in-the-left-lane guy/girl")

Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,568,102 times
There are times that I do need to stop in a merge lane. I have to merge onto Powers from eastbound Barnes. If I catch it right, I can merge right in. But there are times where I'm about to round the corner just as the southbound Powers gets the green light. There is NO way to merge there safely until the traffic has a chance to even out.

The merge lane on northbound Powers nearing Woodman where everyone is going the same mph? Yeah, you have to learn to merge.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Sometimes the short merge lanes don't allow proper merging and that's understandable. You can only do what the road allows you to. It's the 1/4 mile-long merge lanes that people don't use that is the major merging issue in this city.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:35 PM

17,373 posts, read 24,625,888 times
Noted today at the Briargate Pkwy site is that all the steel beams have been pounded into the ground and the 50-ton mobile crane with pile driver has been removed from the work sites.

Work at the Union Blvd site is progressing, with most of the concrete piers in the center of Union being completed and the forms removed from most of them, with a few remaining. What looks like a retaining wall is starting to rise.

Here's the CDOT page on this project.

I've received this info from the contractor (Edward Kraemer & Sons):

All,

Thank you for your interest in the Powers N. Extension Project for the construction of the new roadway for Powers Blvd (SH21) and bridges over Union Blvd, Briargate Parkway, and Pine Creek. Please find this update for week ending 5/13/12.

The first week of construction has been completed with great progress made.

Normal work hours are anticipated to be 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

A night shift will begin Sunday night, May 6th at 6 p.m. at Union Blvd for MSE wall construction.

Speed limits ARE reduced on Powers Blvd to 45 MPH approaching Union and Briargate Parkway and 40 MPH between Union and Briargate Parkway. Please note this is an active work zone and fines will be doubled for violations. Colorado Springs Police and Colorado Highway Patrol will be patrolling. Speed limits remain 35 MPH on Union and Briargate Parkway

Construction Activities
Pile driving at Briargate Parkway in advance of block wall construction
Column construction in the medians at Union and Briargate Parkway
MSE Block Wall Construction at Union
Abutment construction at Pine Creek
Preparation for abutment construction at Briargate Parkway

Traffic Impacts
Eastbound (EB) and Westbound (WB) right lane closures at Union and Briargate Parkway will be installed. These lane closures will be in effect 24 hours/day, 7 days a week from 5/1/12 through approximately 8/27/12. Two through lanes open each direction will be open during rush. Work may dictate a second lane closure in either direction between 9 a.m.-3 p.m. reducing through lanes to one.
Left turn lanes from Union and Briargate Parkway to Powers Blvd will shift to the currently closed lane Monday April 30th. Please drive with caution to familiarize yourself with new configuration.

Be aware of construction equipment and personnel along Powers Blvd, Union, and Briargate Parkway. Temporary construction crosswalks will be signed and utilized for workers to cross Union Blvd and Briargate Parkway to access the median construction area.
Thank you in advance for your assistance in slowing in the construction zone. Your slowing down slows others behind you and allows for a safer work environment for our crews.

Lastly there is a project information number in which I post the next weeks work if you want to call to get the same information contained in the weekly email. The project information line is 719-282-0446.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-10-2012 at 04:21 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 AM

620 posts, read 1,306,332 times
They DO seem to be moving super fast. Maybe the end of summer will be achievable afterall.

I now officially retract my cycnicism from an earlier post...it was Fullback's fault!!! He started it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs