Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 02:54 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times

Advertisements

Noted today are:

- Lots of semi-trucks with cement are parked at the concrete batch plant near Old Ranch Road.
- A large mobile crane (50-75 ton) is setting up at Union Blvd.
- Eight heavy-haul semi-trucks with pre-cast concrete beams are lined up along Powers Blvd for the bridge over Union Blvd. Photo's below.

1. A row of trucks extends over the horizon, just south of Old Ranch Rd, being staged here for placement over Union Blvd.

2. There are four axles supporting each end of the load.

3. Close-up of the rear chassis of one of these trucks. The tractors have the name "Apex" on them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-26-2012 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 02:04 PM

The big concrete beams were placed over Union Blvd this week. It takes 16 of them to complete the needed spans at this interchange.

The contractor has sent this weekly update, with the plans for the week ahead:

Thank you for your continued interest in the Powers N. Extension Project for the construction of the new roadway for Powers Blvd (SH21) and bridges over Union Blvd, Briargate Parkway, and Pine Creek. Please find this email as an update for construction activities occurring during week ending 6/9/12.

The intersection of Briargate Parkway and Powers Blvd will be CLOSED to Briargate Parkway traffic Sunday night into Monday morning (7:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m.) and again Thursday night into Friday morning (7p.m.-7a.m.).

Traffic will not be able to turn from southbound Powers to eastbound Briargate Parkway, northbound Powers to westbound Briargate Parkway, and no Briargate traffic will be allowed to pass through the intersection in an eastbound/westbound path of travel.

Through traffic on northbound and southbound Powers Blvd will not be impacted. Detour routes will be posted and in effect to use Union Blvd and Research Parkway.

Normal work hours this week are anticipated to be 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.

A night shift will work Sunday night and Thursday night (7 p.m.-7 a.m. both nights).

A new pedestrian route is delineated on the south side of Briargate Parkway and north side of Union respectively. The other side of each street is CLOSED to pedestrian traffic as it is an active construction zone. Please note this new configuration in your walking, jogging, or biking routes.

Speed limits ARE reduced on Powers Blvd to 45 MPH approaching Union and Briargate Parkway and 40 MPH between Union and Briargate Parkway. Please note this is an active work zone and fines will be doubled for violations. Colorado Springs Police and Colorado Highway Patrol have been patrolling. Speed limits remain 35 MPH on Union and Briargate Parkway

Construction Activities
- Girder installation at Pine Creek and Briargate Parkway
- Installation of precast bridge deck panels at Union Blvd
- Begin concrete paving for new roadway
- Continue earthwork for roadway construction including underground pipework

Recently Completed Activities
- Abutment Construction at Union and Briargate Parkway
- MSE block wall at Union
- MSE block wall at Briargate Parkway
- Girder Placement at Union

Traffic Impacts
- Southbound Powers left lane closure between Old Ranch Rd and Union Blvd from 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Intersection of Briargate Parkway and Powers Blvd will be CLOSED to Briargate Parkway traffic on Tuesday morning from 12:00 a.m. – 7:00 a.m. and again Wednesday night into Thursday morning (7p.m.-7a.m.). Detour routes will be posted and in effect to use Briargate Parkway and Old Ranch Road. Traffic impacts during this period include:
- No left turn from southbound Powers to eastbound Briargate Parkway
- No left turn from northbound Powers to westbound Briargate Parkway
- No Briargate Parkway traffic will be allowed to pass through the intersection in an eastbound or westbound path of travel
- Through traffic on northbound and southbound Powers Blvd will not be impacted.
- Eastbound (EB) and Westbound (WB) right lane closures at Union and Briar-gate Parkway will be installed. These lane closures will be in effect 24 hours/day, 7 days a week from 5/1/12 through approximately 8/27/12. Two through lanes open each direction will be open during rush hours. Work may dictate a second lane closure in either direction between 9 a.m.-3 p.m. reducing through lanes to one.
- Left turn lanes from Union and Briargate Parkway to Powers Blvd will remain shifted. Please drive with caution and yield to oncoming traffic.

Please remain aware of construction equipment and personnel traveling along Powers Blvd, Union Blvd, and Briargate Parkway and turning off and on these roads. Please give extra distance as necessary.

Temporary construction crosswalks are signed and utilized for workers to cross Union Blvd and Briargate Parkway to access the median construction area. Please be aware of our workers on foot.

Thank you for your continued assistance in slowing down in the construction zone. By slowing down others behind you have to slow as well and allows for a safer work environment for our crews.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:59 PM

224 posts, read 729,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
There's also a major resurfacing/drainage project about to start on a long stretch of Powers between Woodmen and Proby.

For details and scheduled closures:

Paving Powers by Rocky Mountain Asphalt
Is the paving only going to be patches? I thought they were going to pave all of Powers but it looks like just patch jobs?

Old 06-04-2012, 02:09 PM

We drove on Powers on Saturday evening.

- They were actually laying concrete for travel lanes at 6PM on Saturday evening, south of Briargate Pkwy.

- The blacktop patches help a bit, but I'm hoping for a total repaving job, the road needs it badly.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie73 View Post
Is the paving only going to be patches? I thought they were going to pave all of Powers but it looks like just patch jobs?
Got this from the contractor: "Powers will be completely resurfaced from Woodmen Rd to Proby Pkwy after all deep repairs are done."

Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 AM

14 posts, read 30,951 times
I must say I have been very impressed with the speed of the work and the detailed communication by the construction company. We aren't from this state and this is NOT normal in the midwest or east!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:33 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,252,153 times
Back in the 1990's when I lived in the Springs, there was much reluctance to make Powers anything more than a major city street. Back in the 90's there was basically nothing east of Powers and it would have been a perfect opportunity to develop it as a highway (if the voters actually approved it). It seems like they are slowly converting sections of it to a freeway...but it could have been a true "bypass" to I-25 through the Springs had voters been a little kinder to the idea 15 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
There appears to be a major construction project going on Powers....North of Research maybe?

I assume that is the project to turn Powers into a freeway with exit ramps and all that?

I guess I don't watch much local news.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM

6,800 posts, read 10,422,221 times
I think the idea goes back even longer than that. When I was a little kid out riding my bike near where C16 (Mesa Ridge Parkway/Powers) intersects with I-25 now, a guy was pulled over looking at a map and was terribly lost and confused. Back then, C16 just ended there and was all of a quarter-mile long east of the Interstate. But his map showed it connecting to Powers and going all the way North as a highway, like it does now. I don't know where on earth he got that map, but this was 20-25 years ago.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:02 PM

224 posts, read 729,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Got this from the contractor: "Powers will be completely resurfaced from Woodmen Rd to Proby Pkwy after all deep repairs are done."
Yay! Thanks. Glad the whole thing is being resurfaced. It does need it!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:58 PM

598 posts, read 1,539,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Back in the 1990's when I lived in the Springs, there was much reluctance to make Powers anything more than a major city street. Back in the 90's there was basically nothing east of Powers and it would have been a perfect opportunity to develop it as a highway (if the voters actually approved it). It seems like they are slowly converting sections of it to a freeway...but it could have been a true "bypass" to I-25 through the Springs had voters been a little kinder to the idea 15 years ago.

It's my understanding that businesses put a halt to a Powers "freeway". The voters wanted it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs