U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:40 AM

6,234 posts, read 3,447,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
It's not weird, but it kinda makes me uncomfortable when people thank me, I'm just doing a job that I signed up for and to me it's no big deal.

I'm no 11Bravo, far from it, and even though I'm in Afghanistan, The guys who deserve hero status and thanks are the ones going on patrol outside the wire and risk thier lives.

SO yea, if you see a 4th ID soldier, go ahead and thank them. For us Fobbits, no thanks are necessary.
Don't sell yourself short. Without fobbits you don't have fire support, close air support, medical support or logistical support. I don't know what you do, but if you are not a grunt, I'd bet that you fall into one of those categories! It takes everyone to get the trigger pullers into the right spot to engage the enemy. Keep up the good work, and stay safe.

I was mostly a fobbit as well, but went on enough patrols to see both sides of the wire. It really is not a pleasant country. This was Helmund Province in 2009. FOB Geronimo to be precise. I understand it's built up now, but when I was there it was nothing but dirt and Taliban.

All others, sorry for the tangent. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread discussion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 PM

16,897 posts, read 22,578,553 times
Thank you ANYWAY. Both of you. And all the rest.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,222,240 times
What weirds me out a little is when people thank me (a military spouse) for my sacrifices...seriously, in my case, NOT necessary. Although I'd never respond negatively (because I'm not rude!) it's not a big hardship for me, it's an adventure. I get to move and experience new places often enough to keep my life from getting stagnant. I get all sorts of extra money and entitlements, especially when my husband deploys. Sure it gets a little lonely when he's gone, but I'm pretty independent, I keep myself busy and have plenty of extra cash to attend events and social functions to keep my mind off of it. So when people thank ME...I choose to pass it along. The sacrifices are really all his.

And seriously Ryan, everyone in the Army deserves thanks. Not just for the job you do functionally speaking, but because not all of us could put up with the ridiculousness the military sometimes dishes out. I mean, it's an arm of the government and we all know the government doesn't always do things that make sense. The acronyms alone make me want to cross my eyes and stick out my tongue. As we say in my household...there's wrong, and then there's Army wrong! LOL

Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 PM

Sonic, many years of civilian work for the Army taught me three truths.
- There's a right way
- There's a wrong way
- There's the Army way

Oh, the stories I could tell.....

Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 PM

2,738 posts, read 4,359,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Sonic, many years of civilian work for the Army taught me three truths.
- There's a right way
- There's a wrong way
- There's the Army way

Oh, the stories I could tell.....
Air Force. Logistical support.

Many years working for the Army as a civilian as well, has also taught me the same thing mike. I love the Army as a whole, but sometimes I wonder if they are just devoid of any common sense when it comes to polices and AR's/SOP's. It seems as if they do things just to do them, without any common goal or purpose. Managers managing managers. MOS's created just to justify funding for a position.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Air Force. Logistical support.

Many years working for the Army as a civilian as well, has also taught me the same thing mike. I love the Army as a whole, but sometimes I wonder if they are just devoid of any common sense when it comes to polices and AR's/SOP's. It seems as if they do things just to do them, without any common goal or purpose. Managers managing managers. MOS's created just to justify funding for a position.
I won't get into telling my stories, maybe someday there'll be a thread in the Military Forum for grisly tales from the bureaucracy. Or is it bureaucrazy?

I will tell you that I wore a Dilbert tie one day a week, people LOVED it, and I told them "I live the life."

Old 07-03-2012, 06:48 AM

2,219 posts, read 1,201,979 times
Update on the move. Today is day 21. (Day 0 is the day our cars roll away from this apartment and begin driving towards Colorado) The fires have scared my wife quite a bit, but I see the city battling back and am eager to arrive. We have a job accepted for my wife and they are excited for her to start. (Trying to get us to agree to earlier moving dates, but it just wasn't feasible with the business and lease here)

I've told her for many months that I'm already gone. My mindset has changed and I view myself as a person from Colorado temporarily residing in another state. About a week ago the mental switch started in her. When she spoke about the transition to her new job from her current job the pronouns were switched. "I'm excited to start here, I was so new and nervous when I began work there". She didn't even realize it until afterwards.

Our apartment is largely in boxes. We probably have about two days worth of packing left, but we are both working full time until the Saturday before we leave. (We leave on a Tuesday morning) Currently working 40-50 hours a week and packing together during our time off. We don't have that much stuff, but we have been blessed with the opportunity to rent an apartment there in the short term and then buy a house. Knowing we will move twice in under a year, probably under 8 months, we spend more time going over the things we have and asking if we want to move it twice or give it to the local goodwill. We are minimalists and enjoy the life style. Not counting my business or my vehicle, everything I personally own could easily fit into one bedroom with room to walk around--if the bed was stood up against a wall. Who needs all those things when we have views of the mountains and great weather?

For anyone thinking of moving to CS and still reading this thread... I would encourage you to sit down with your significant other (or yourself) and write down what things you must have in a city, and what things you want. You might surprise yourself. Depending on how long the list is, you probably won't have all the wants. Of course, we identified more wants than most people would. Since our goals did not make moving to family a priority, we focused on external factors. Is CS right for you? IMO the strongest cases for the city are: Great views, great weather year round (depends on your desired weather), low traffic, low taxes, low housing prices and rents, reasonable grocery (thanks Denver transportation hub) and power costs, less bugs, access to CITY things (if you've lived in nowhere, you know what I mean) - things like "sams club" and "costco" and competition between ISPs, access to incredible camping areas, a local airport you can use (as opposed to private ones that you don't get to use), proximity to denver for "swapping planes, sporting events, fine arts, unique food. Several of those were on our need list, and the rest were on our want list--okay up until the proximity to Denver, but other people tend to enjoy it.

The reasons you might prefer a different city: Oxygen - this is not suitable for some people. Strong religious base (this could also be a huge draw for some people). Almost no public transportation - moving here without a car is unwise. Thunder and hail - if these things bother you. High unemployment which seems to be stronger in some sectors than others. There is some gang violence, though it is not particularly dangerous compared to other cities. "Foodies" may prefer Denver for the dining experience without the drive. You enjoy the rain, which rarely happens here. (There I go- using "here" to describe CS though I'm currently in Iowa) You don't like being near the armed forces. (I like it, almost enough to make my list of reasons to move there) There is no ocean nearby. There is less racial diversity than some larger cities--however, from our visit we noticed there was also dramatically less racism.

CS is the #1 city for meeting the current needs of my family. I've elected to leave out school issues because there seems to be some hot debate over the quality of schools. Several people praising many districts, while others are suing the state. I don't have kids, or plan to have them. Therefore, I do not have a vested interest that is strong enough to lead me to assess the schools the way I would if I had kids. I did have a concern about lawsuits attacking Tabor, because I believe Tabor is part of what makes this such an attractive area for us to live. We love low property taxes.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:41 AM

2,738 posts, read 4,359,152 times
Yea, water is one thing Colorado is in short supply of, if we had an ocean, or hell, even something like Lake Erie, it would be the greatest place on earth. But I'm kinda glad we don't, otherwise there'd be crazy humidity.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Yea, water is one thing Colorado is in short supply of, if we had an ocean, or hell, even something like Lake Erie, it would be the greatest place on earth. But I'm kinda glad we don't, otherwise there'd be crazy humidity.
Yeah, but think of the fishing....

Old 07-05-2012, 11:46 AM

3,334 posts, read 3,056,671 times
Well, there was an ocean in Colorado, but that was an awfully long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs