Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 AM

6,802 posts, read 10,437,008 times

Advertisements

I think even in Southern Arizona you'd have to be selective, because desert can get very cold at night. It seems like if they truly want to moderate temperature extremes, they have to add some humidity into the equation. Maybe they should look to coastal areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 AM

162 posts, read 386,655 times
Our 14yo son would have *done* his swimming during the afternoon hours. No little children are with us.

Living in CA and WA state...we have always enjoyed night time swimming.

You TAKE what you can get lol. If it is NO swimming vs night swimming (in a heated pool of course) we take the night swimming

Of course in WA it was only about 4 months out of the year...

Everyones' lifestyle is a bit different, and we do what we can based on the hours we have together and his little time off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Swimiing at night? Where on earth do you plan on doing that? I hope you have your own kiddy pool...

Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 AM

LOL...

Rather N Georgia has always been my husbands first choice I have read more horror stories about the humidity in GA and it has frightenend me away!

I will have to get over it I believe in order to get the hills/mountains and trees we want and still have warm weather most of the time. Hard to imagine fun backyard bbq's on Sunday during the vacation time of summer, with the humidity, however

I imagine myself sitting inside at the bay window with AC on, waving at anyone who chose to hang outside in the summer time LOL.

Fortunately we have time to explore areas during vacation times! Looks like we are going to need that time!

Thank you so much for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Not to peel you away from CO but both yours and your husbands wants sounds a lot like the climate here in the atlanta & North georgia areas.
Summer is hot and miserable and the fall is crisp and cool. We get a lot of sunshine here and it seems to only rain about once every 3-4 weeks in the summer.

As I type this, I'm looking out the window at some 90-100 foot tall tulip poplars and oaks. You did say you wanted tall trees. And hills. There is no flat land here it's hills galore.

In june and july here the temperature from 9-11pm would still be in the upper 70's to low 80s and in august it there are days where it will literally be 90 degrees when the 11 o'clock news is on. Because the weatherman will say "OMG it's 11pm and its still 90!"
That's rare though and that has more to do with the urban heat island effect. Usually it cools down much quicker outside the city. The low temps in aug are in the low 70's. Air conditioning is definitely required during the summer but there's an equal number of months where you can leave the heat and the air off. The winters are mild. I wore shorts every day this past winter. Sounds like a good compromise. I'm just sayin...

Old 05-29-2012, 09:32 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,071,307 times
Arizona and ATL sound like options. You might want to feel the weather in the springs. When we visited it was a bit of a shock. 50 out there felt warmer than 50 in Iowa (because of the low humidity. High humidity will amplify the effect of warmer or cold weather) and we found we comfortable outside in shorts at 50, or at 80.

PS. You might also look at Texas (houston, dallas, etc if you want big cities)

Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,943,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think even in Southern Arizona you'd have to be selective, because desert can get very cold at night. It seems like if they truly want to moderate temperature extremes, they have to add some humidity into the equation. Maybe they should look to coastal areas....
As Marcy pointed out, southern Arizona desert areas rarely fall below 70 to 75 in the summer (daily lows). You're now going to find many other parts of the country where it is still 90 at 11 PM in the summer.

Last edited by xeric; 05-29-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM

LOL,
We live near Austin TX now, but are not happy here...long story

We miss mountains and water so very much!

I am also looking into East Kentucky while looking into N Georgia...
Central TX humidity does not seem bad to me at all...very often lol. Just a few days, maybe a couple of weeks total when it is 100°+ but I am sure that KY and N. GA *must* be much much worse

Guess I should ask around about that.
Thank you for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Arizona and ATL sound like options. You might want to feel the weather in the springs. When we visited it was a bit of a shock. 50 out there felt warmer than 50 in Iowa (because of the low humidity. High humidity will amplify the effect of warmer or cold weather) and we found we comfortable outside in shorts at 50, or at 80.

PS. You might also look at Texas (houston, dallas, etc if you want big cities)

Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM

26,126 posts, read 48,749,174 times
Night swimming is possible at some of the larger fitness centers, like Villa Sport (5AM to 11PM) and Lifetime Fitness (24/7). There may be more.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:52 PM

Thank you

We want this for our backyard...at home, iow, in the fresh air
Nice thinking, however!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Night swimming is possible at some of the larger fitness centers, like Villa Sport (5AM to 11PM) and Lifetime Fitness (24/7). There may be more.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:38 PM

563 posts, read 906,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyPlaces View Post
Thank you

We want this for our backyard...at home, iow, in the fresh air
Nice thinking, however!
I'm from Houston and go up to north Austin all of the time. I usually go there to escape the humidity.

If you want water you must mean more rain because north Austin (Marble Falls, Bee Cave, Llano..) have 5+ HUGE lakes up there. That's where I do most of my boating, swimming, and cliff diving. If it's the rain you are talking about that area averages 35+ inches of rain a year with last summer being the extreme and the driest on record. That only happens once every 50 years or so.

If your thinking of moving to Colorado Springs or Denver those two places get 15 inches a year compared. It is DRY! Absolutely no lakes like the ones in the Texas Hill Country and there are only a couple of types of trees that can survive in that climate. That place is bone dry and brown for most of the year. I like the dry atmosphere up there because there is no humidity but it comes at the cost of rain and greenery. If you didn't like the drought in Texas your not going to like Colorado because that is what 15 inches a year is and a semi-arid climate is.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,347,213 times
There are very few private pools in Colorado. If you put one in your backyard, you'd probably get death threats. Water is scarce out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs