Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 PM

149 posts, read 321,949 times

Advertisements

I have a house in Peyton, CO 80831. My lot is kind of bare. I am looking for more privacy between my neighbor in the back and myself and I thought planting trees may be a solution. Also I would like to add beauty also. Do you have any suggestions? I am aware that the privacy trees may take a while to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpitts View Post
I have a house in Peyton, CO 80831. My lot is kind of bare. I am looking for more privacy between my neighbor in the back and myself and I thought planting trees may be a solution. Also I would like to add beauty also. Do you have any suggestions? I am aware that the privacy trees may take a while to grow.
I'm no expert on trees. One thing to consider before you plant is the effect the trees will have serving as snow fences. If the trees are north of your home in the wrong place, they could act as snow fences and allow accumulations of snow at the wrong place, like on your driveway. With that, (I don't know your orientation, neighbor's home, etc.) the trees could be planted in such a way to both serve as privacy and a useful snow fence. See below a few basic models of the relationship between tree height, protected areas, tree density, etc. The second model from the bottom shows a protected area existing 35 times the height of the tree away so using 20 foot tall trees a protected area is 700 feet away. Look what would happen if your driveway was 200 feet downwind of the trees. Not sure if this works for you but living in Peyton, a living snow fence is something to consider. I am looking to do it here near Monument.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:27 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Silver Maples grow fast but therefore are a bit weak. Still, they are hardwoods and add some fall color. When we bought our house in Louisville 18 yrs ago, we planted a Silver Maple front and back. They're big trees now. One still has rope marks from when it split during a fall snowstorm and DH roped it together. It lived!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:28 AM

117 posts, read 620,994 times
Husband and I just bought a house out in Peyton too.
We were wondering about Poplar trees? We have them out here in the desert where temps get down to the teens, snows and of course gets pretty hot. They grow fast and don't need much water, plus they get a pretty gold foliage in the fall. Only thing is, they are bare in the winter.
So, besides evergreen's for the winter, we are looking into what type of shrubs would be best.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Check with the Colorado State University Extension Service. They have a lot of information on tree-planting, both ornamental and "windbreak" type plantings. My short advice is to stick with what are native and/or hardy trees and plants. Also, the plains are naturally semi-arid. Planting water-loving trees in that environment is not the best idea. Ponderosa pines, chokecherries, gambel oak, Rocky Mountain juniper, and mountain mahogony are some trees and bushes that come to mind as good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs