U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,742,826 times

Advertisements

I would be very careful before doing anything relating to detoxing the liver, especially a commercial detox product. When I was having gall stones, I said, as a joke, to my GI doctor that I should do a liver detox and he nearly choked. He said they are dangerous and can actually damage the liver rather than helping it. He said it's the liver's job to detox the body and it's very efficient. The liver does not hold onto toxins. If you hurt the liver, it may or may not heal, and you could be setting yourself up for a lifetime of liver problems. Alcohol is the biggest poison for the liver, followed by medications (prescribed as well as illegal), especially Tylenol, and then chemicals in drugs. Chemicals in foods have little or no effect on the liver; as the liver was made to filter toxins from your blood, and to produce bile which aids in digestion, and to make good cholesterol. Also, coffee has been shown to benefit the liver.

If you eat a healthy diet with lots of fresh fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains and protein; drink lots of water and stay away from the "whites" (rice, flour, potatoes, breads, sugar, etc) that alone will do more to detox your liver than a detox program will.

If you're going to mess with an organ that's as vital as your heart, at least see your doctor first and have a thorough physical exam and a blood test for liver function. Then, if your doctor approves, start a liver detox, but I doubt any M.D. would approve it. They're just too dangerous. You wouldn't mess with your heart or lungs (lungs are like the liver in that they are a filter for all we inhale), don't mess with your liver; you only have one and they're hard to replace.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 06-06-2012 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: added to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
In general, I don't think there is much science behind the idea of detox diets. Do detox diets work? And yes, some can be dangerous. Losing weight that way is often due to intense caloric restriction and the thing is, once you go back to previous caloric levels it usually comes back. I would just advise people be very careful before doing anything extreme with their diets and get lots of facts, not just from the pro-websites, manufacturer/sales websites, etc. Some people swear by them, but they may not be doing what is claimed by salespeople. Just be careful, folks.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:33 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,455,342 times
An MD type is not the kind of doctor that I rely upon for advice regarding nutrition and/or cleansing because an MD degree requires very little training in that area. Since an ND ( Naturopath ) degree requires far more training in nutrition, a Naturopath is my go-to reference for dietary and/or cleansing advice.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 AM

53 posts, read 83,479 times
A typical physician is best in emergency situations but when it comes to health (real health) sadly they are misled, most of them 99.9%. What they could even cure an aliment with high dose Vitamin C treatment they would not even know the first thing about that, that is just one example . This is more than my opinion; there are many others with research that well trump my own. Take a look at the track record of hospitals and mainstream doctors, the pour medicines on top of medicines. I mean no disrespect to any doctor but many grants and funding’s come from can you guess it, the drug companies. People need less drugs, more education and a redo on society and its eating habits as whole, I see countless real life stories of the healing power of a radical lifestyle change.

On the liver detox, yes the liver holds toxins big time, a lifetime of eating crap and your liver cannot process all the acid and processed garbage that society throws at it. It's gets back up and the colon gets impacted. The liver is tied into the colon, if the colon is always in a state of impaction then the liver holds on to those toxins. Since the liver ties into it, you get a liver with a toxic environment. Yes it still gets rid of toxins but very inefficiently, the liver wants to and will quickly once the body gives it an open path. I am not a scientist but I can give back up on this and give the proper documentation from the folks who have done it. Regardless of any of that, think about how many burger joints are on a busy street stretch, about 6. That is the American diet, the protein structure in meat is not even close to our own bodies, and the truth is plants are closer, much closer. We are kept numb from the truth of what's really going on.

Look I am not judging here or a Vegan, I am not, not even close, I want to help. I was once the same way, I thought the same way, ate the same way as everybody. My take on this way of life is coming from research and physical experience, how people do you know that have reflux/gerd? I bet many, easy to get rid of, it takes a little time, but cut the acids from your diet and alkaline with greens, guess what, you won't have reflux anymore, don't take my word for it, try it yourself, I don’t have it anymore. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I am drinking my green juice right now and feeling good. Oh yeah and my liver, that is detoxing on its own, not me doing anything but continuing to do what I do. You can take herbs to help detox the liver and they are fine, but you need to do this in stages, not all at once. There is so much you can do to help your body, colonics, fasting and basic change of you eat habits during a day. I use to be the guy who ate anything and everything, meat meat and more meat. If you told me different then, I would ignore you, shake my head and say you are totally wrong, it took years to get to this point. I use to drink 5 cokes and 3 red bulls a day and eat lots of ice cream. That is insane, I was above the average person who consumes 150 pounds of sugar a year and I could ramble on, but that’s crazy. I could go on and on about a lot that is health related, that I see, I am not giving medical advice here but simply saying look into it, see what you think, at least it’s worth 1-2 hours of your time.

Is the process a little daunting at first, yep, it is, but way worth it. The daunting part is letting go and embracing a better lifestyle, the living food lifestyle. Think on this, every time you cook anything you bastardize it, meaning you change the structure of that meat or vegetable. You kill everything that would be beneficial, all you have left is dead; at that point you are eating dead food, nothing living. So again just think about what you are eating on a daily basis is any of it living. Where are the enzymes the body needs? The simple truth is the body was not designed to intake what most western diets pour into it. We should eat to live, not live to eat. The rabbit hole goes very deep and I suggest anyone who is interested to start, piece by piece looking into this, start the journey now, it's a great journey.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
An MD type is not the kind of doctor that I rely upon for advice regarding nutrition and/or cleansing because an MD degree requires very little training in that area. Since an ND ( Naturopath ) degree requires far more training in nutrition, a Naturopath is my go-to reference for dietary and/or cleansing advice.
Just make sure they are true ND's with real education, as many people call themselves ND's without the degree and training. The Education and Licensing of a Naturopathic Doctor

Old 06-07-2012, 01:51 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,742,826 times
Be very careful. MD's have had to perform liver transplants to save people's lives after they've tried liver cleanses on the recommendation of an unlicensed, uneducated person calling themselves an ND. A healthy diet free of unnecessary drugs or alcohol can do more to maintain liver health, and overall health, than any drugs or cleanses can do. Like Otowi said, do your research and make sure you're seeing a degreed, hospital trained ND.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:28 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,024,929 times
I agree about being cautious concerning detox and the use of commercial products touting such. I prefer not to call it "detox" since this seems to be a commercial marketing tool to move products which have not proven to be effective at anything but taking your money. I look at any fast or restricted diet as a "correction", shedding bad habits, and re-introducing the body to a dietary form that is far more beneficial, while proving to oneself that they have the discipline to sustain the healthier lifestyle.

A juice fast however, at the very least, allows one to exercise discipline, and gain control of their eating habits. It goes the body a much-needed break from all the crap that it has been given. The drop in weight, healthier skin, clearer eyes, clarity of mind and spirit, provides one with a glimpse of themselves in healthier form. This is a powerful motivator to continue with healthy eating. More selective eating is also possible because your taste buds are extremely sensitive to foods which are altered by chemicals. Natural foods are greatly preferred after a fast.

An alternative to juice fasting that has been beneficial for me, and has had the same effect, is a diet which consists solely of vegetables, brown rice, and oatmeal. Drinks are limited to water and herbal tea such as twig tea, white tea, bancha tea. This course of eating can be done for much longer than 10 days, without the hunger pangs that come in the initial stages of a fast. One can eat as much vegetable as they desire. 14 days has been the longest that I've been on such a diet, and the effects are pretty dramatic. A complete body recomposition is possible on this diet, with a tremendous amount of fat shedded. Light-to-moderate exercise enhances the benefits.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,455,342 times
I obtained excellent results by following the steps outlined in this book which I highly recommend:

The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse

The Naturopaths that I've hired to provide guidance with my health care over the years, have mostly been graduates of John Bastyr University in Seattle.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 PM

53 posts, read 83,479 times
It’s my belief that it all boils down to this, whatever manufacturers can put in a pill they will. We as a society like quick and fast everything and a pill lets us get there quick normally with unfavorable results. As an example, society drinks a lot of green tea; they made a pill of concentrated green tea. So too much of those pills can be bad, toxic even. Like A_Lexus said, watch out for commercial products that claim anything great as marketing gets the human psyche pretty easily. My opinion too is "detox" naturally and if you need to go further/deeper you could go to some sort of regimen that included a supplement, like a live detox, but not right away.

It's a journey and as you make each step you understand what needs to take place next, your body is living, it communicates with the brain in a language it understands, even if we don't realize it. It will tell us what we need and when if we get to the point of that natural detox, the body cannot talk with food in its mouth (yes an analogy). Take these quick weigh loss products; these are the things to watch out for. There is so much I could go into that I have learned over the years, but the important part I want to stress is the journey. It allows us to experience each step of the way instead of rushing through and crashing as a result of the chaos it creates. Take for example when I make my green juice, from start to finish it takes about 1.5 hours, washing, cutting, all the prep, then washing the juicers and dishes. Now granted I use a masticating juicers, for obvious reasons to me. So it's a pain and not everyone has the time, I don't have the time. But what it does is slow me down, dedicates me to that time, helps me defrag, much like cooking or golf will do for some. The experiences along the journey is what makes us…us, but now with a constant bombarding of ads and daily life many have forgotten that the experience is the one thing that connects us. It may sound hookie but its truth. So don’t beat yourself up if you try and fail a few times, honestly that is normal. Don’t just grab for the next pill right away, but enjoy a journey of a living food lifestyle that can make life come alive.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:25 PM

346 posts, read 375,255 times
Take high quality milk thistle for liver protection. Google it. Proven protection and no side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs