U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,526,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
One example of a "quick fix" that I've experienced is when I gave up drinking 2 beers each night in front of the TV.

Within a few days I felt way better, slept better, thought better, etc.

Quick fix. Cost me nothing, saved me the cost of a six pack every 3 days.
Why do you think? The alcohol, the hops, the carbohydrates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 AM

20,315 posts, read 37,820,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Why do you think? The alcohol, the hops, the carbohydrates?
Alcohol messes with one's sleep patterns such as the 90-minute REM cycles, not to mention the liver has to deal with it. IIRC, beer or wine carbs quickly turn to sugar and mess with the insulin functions. I might drink something once a week now, but that's all, and when I do I feel it the next day as sluggishness.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:11 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,461,314 times
mfbe wrote:
I might drink something once a week now, but that's all,
That's my winter schedule, but now that the heat is upon us, I drink a cold one just about every day after a 3 to 5 mile walk in the desert. Beer is mostly a summetime beverage for me. I lose my taste for it during the colder weather, but it sure is goooooood in the summertime.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:02 PM

53 posts, read 83,495 times
Keep in mind though alcohol is a protoplasmic poison, but with that kinda heat it probably evaporates before it gets half way to the stomach lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
mfbe wrote:
I might drink something once a week now, but that's all,
That's my winter schedule, but now that the heat is upon us, I drink a cold one just about every day after a 3 to 5 mile walk in the desert. Beer is mostly a summetime beverage for me. I lose my taste for it during the colder weather, but it sure is goooooood in the summertime.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:20 PM

Want to add, if you don't have time to juice then grab a 2oz Wheatgrass shot from Jamba Juice or a place that serves it fresh, here is what you get from it, a lot more but this is the simple version. Best to take on an empty stomach, get ready to get a instant pump, it's truly amazing and I grow my own.

Energizer: Wheatgrass is immediately absorbed into the bloodstream. Just 2 oz. of fresh juice equals 3 pounds of organic veggies in vitamins and minerals, or the equivalent of two cups of coffee, minus the caffeine.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:01 PM

57 posts, read 107,756 times
Hey guys, My wife and I have a juicer but rarely use it. When we do we always use the same recipe: Carrots, apples and a little spinach. Tastes great, but I think we should diversify a little bit! Seems like a disservice to our juicer (which is a really nice one!) to not experiment with other juice recipes. We are also seriously considering a 3 day cleansing diet and are looking for specific recipes for that as well. Please share what works for you all.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 06-16-2012, 11:07 AM

mrbrpaul I juice one main juice everyday in the morning on an empty stomach. How it breaks down for 2 people:

12oz of organic spinach, 4 organic normal size carrots, 5 stalks of organic celery, 1-2 inches of organic ginger.

Now here is where my wife is different from my mix.

For hers we juice 2 organic apples and half a organic lemon but she does not use that all in her drink, just pours about 3-4 ounces into her glass, not sure how much is left over.

To mine I do not add fruit, in my research fruit and vegetables should not be mixed together, though carrot and apple seem fine, but I am looking to get maximum absorption from the juice. What I do add is 1/8 tsp organic cayenne pepper and 4-5 good twist on the organic pepper mill. You can put other types of hot peppers in the juicer but my wife would not like that very much, so I use the powder.

The green juice only yield works out (no added fruit juice) to around 10-12 ounces per person.

Now if you are looking to do a 3 day cleanse, for me I would just do the same juice with juiced fruit during the afternoon. I am going to put together a basic overview of what I did on my fast, but still need to sit down and do that. My next fast which may be 3 days or 30 who knows, but certainly I will add organic chard, kale or some other type of leafy green. During my 10 day fast I had a hard time at first, there were lots of coconut juice and pineapple mix at night as a reward. That may not have been the best juice at night, but it kept us going Now my diet consist mainly of big salads and very little rice or pasta, sometimes white fish or salmon, all wild caught. Now I am getting into grains more and loving how I am feeling, best to your fast, be blessed and let me know if you have any questions for me.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM

Why are you not supposed to mix fruits and vegetables?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:54 PM

Short answer is many fruits compared to vegetables are adsorb differently, even while juicing. Plus I am talking about getting maximum absorption and it comes back to food combining, what works together and what does not. So you won't totally ruin your juicing but it's all acid vs sub-acid fruits and all the other science involved, sorry to be vague but I know it may be till Monday for a more detailed answer. Plus my own expereince is that my digestion feels best when I do straight greens compared to fruit and greens mix.

Now I will state this, if you want to put some fruit juice and green juice together and that is how you are able to get it down, then don't let what I said above stop you. Again I like to get as much out of it that I can, so I go to the extreme and don't mix and I really like my greens combo.

Basically you don't ever want to eat fruits or sugar with another food, leafy or other wise or what happens is sugar has to wait for everything else to digest and it ferments in the gut, leads to yeast production and other nasty things. Sugar taken an hour after other foods or on an empty stomach gets taken care of in the intestines not the stomach.

I hope this helps clear up what I said in my last post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrpaul View Post
Why are you not supposed to mix fruits and vegetables?

Old 06-17-2012, 11:46 AM

That does help. I had heard it in the past but it never really made much sense to me. To be honest I haven't ever tried a greens only juice so I have no idea if I would like it or not. I will definitely try it. I do want this first cleansing to be as enjoyable as it can be so if I don't like the greens only I might add in a little something to make it more palatable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs