Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 AM

930 posts, read 1,653,357 times

Advertisements

The storm grew and grew right over my house (I live downtown) and we got a lot of rain, and some hail, but the STUFF hit the fan probably two to three miles east/southeast. I hope everyone escaped unscathed, and property damage to a minimum! The pictures I've seen are phenomenal! The people who got the best views of the growing storm lived in the far north-east corner of the city, around Wolf Ranch and Cordera, I noticed. The Citadel Mall area got slammed- to the extent that the chairs we placed covering our rhubarb plants would have been a joke if we had the destruction that hit that area.

Residents Dealing with Aftermath of Storm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM

641 posts, read 2,275,566 times
It's always amazing that storms can be so different from one area of town to another....even just down a street a bit.

In the Stetson Hills area, just off Tutt and Stetson Hills, I saw rain and pea-sized hail, but it never got bad. A friend who lives off Barnes and Austin Bluffs had saw heavy flooding.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:22 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,830,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
It's always amazing that storms can be so different from one area of town to another....even just down a street a bit.

In the Stetson Hills area, just off Tutt and Stetson Hills, I saw rain and pea-sized hail, but it never got bad. A friend who lives off Barnes and Austin Bluffs had saw heavy flooding.
Absolutely!

I just got off the phone after talking to my sister. She lives off Colorado 105, 4 miles away from Larkspur. Surprisingly they didn't get a thing! Further north off the Surrey Ridge exit on Interstate 25 apparently C-DOT's heavy equipment was scooping hail off the road! Crazy stuff, but hey, it's Colorado in early June.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-07-2012 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM

553 posts, read 1,634,995 times
I live near Academy and Flintridge. Two hours of pretty-much non-stop golf ball sized hail. I've never seen anything like it. The rain gauge indicated 3.25" in about two hours. Flooding. Branches down.

I have a decorative rock border between the sidewalk and the street. Or.....had. The flooding picked up all the rock and washed it downstream. It only made it as far as my next-door neighbor, though, as he had a car parked at the curb. It's now burried under about 6" of rock, which I'm digging out and wheel-barrowing back to where it came from. Ugh.

Fortunately, no one got hurt, and the damage is all minor.

Incredible storm.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,163,109 times
For once the Palmer Divide was spared! I kept waiting for it to hit up here, but we got nothing more than a few raindrops.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:08 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,447,002 times
In Colorado we call those kind of storms a "drought buster"..........

Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 AM

26,202 posts, read 48,994,276 times
Pine Creek area got a fair amount of wind, a good rain, and hail no bigger than Lima Beans. Nothing of note to report.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:31 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,269 times
Just came back from the Citadel Crossing area on Academy. What a mess. The landscape rocks (some fist sized or large) in the hell strips washed into the roadway. Looks like a large truck dropped its load of rock. Be careful driving in that area. Wouldn't be surprised if rocks kicked up by traffic break a few windshields.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 PM

26,202 posts, read 48,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
Just came back from the Citadel Crossing area on Academy. What a mess. The landscape rocks (some fist sized or large) in the hell strips washed into the roadway. Looks like a large truck dropped its load of rock. Be careful driving in that area. Wouldn't be surprised if rocks kicked up by traffic break a few windshields.
Yeah, we got a thread for that....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,457,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
In Colorado we call those kind of storms a "drought buster"..........
Wrong. Localized heavy storms like this are by no means a "drought-buster." The drought is alive and well, unfortunately. For all their violence and bluster, localized individual thunderstorms such as this do little to break hydrological drought and their effects are agricultural drought are often limited to relatively small areas.

As for this particular storm, it's a good illustration of why the Front Range is called part of "Hail Alley"--one of the most hail-prone areas of the United States. These storms occur several times each season somewhere along the Front Range from Pueblo to Cheyenne. In that sense, they are not "unusual" at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs