Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
That, and get rid of those annoying parking meters (I'm sure they generate revenue, but I'm also pretty sure they chase away potential shoppers and other retail patrons).
As I understand it (from another poster on this forum), the parking meters exist not to generate revenue for the city but as a mechanism to encourage more rapid turnover of customers from the storefronts. In other words, the business owners don't want people parking in front of their stores for half a day, all day, a week, etc. They want people in those spots to leave every hour or so, to make space for a new customer. Hence, parking meters. The mall concept with vast expanse of free parking obviously does not work downtown. Nor do most of the parking structures. If I'm going to Mountain Chalet to look at backpacks, I'd really prefer to park within half-a-block or so, not 6 blocks away in a parking structure (which requires payment anyway). Lazy, perhaps, but most of us are lazy that way.

Wasn't the strong-mayor thing also a bit of blowback from what seemed like a repetitive stream of high-profile high-salary low-effectiveness city managers? Just let the mayor do all that stuff and then replace him/her every election, because we as a city population are continually dissatisfied with everyone and everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 04:20 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Insofar as parking solutions go, I've seen many different strategies for this...I think that the best ones are the most flexible. Allow for the fact that most people nowadays don't carry cash or change, so the units that have card swipers are good...and allow for the fact that some folks might only need a few minutes, some might want all night or day, so give people appropriate pricing options that DON'T require them to return to feed meters or move their cars. There is nothing wrong with charging for parking IF the system is usable and instructions make sense.

The whole art liason thing...I read a blog about Pawtucket, RI where they had created state tax incentives for artists and other small businesses (coffee shops, etc) to come downtown, and had an arts liason to direct inquiries to resources etc. They literally brought these kinds of cultural forces to bear against the decaying hulks of old industrial mills and so on, even going so far as to send city owned trucks out to move--free of cost--a desirable small business relocating in from another town. Thing is, people can whine all they want about their tax dollars going to WHAT? but when you make a downtown district pleasant and interesting, people go there to spend money, thereby generating sales tax revenues. It benefits everyone in a lot of ways. It annoys me when people dismiss the arts as frivolous and unnecessary. I mean, seriously...this is what makes it a joy to be human. I enthusiastically support artists whenever possible.

And ya know, before this goes completely off-topic (sorry, it was a pleasant daydream ya know?)...if you revitalize a downtown enough, then mass transit becomes more popular, profitable, and logical to have and use. And I also totally agree that all municipalities served should share any cost involved, what the heck was Denver doing not paying its share for FREX? That's 'tarded! And does anyone else think a quaint trolley or streetcar kind of thing up to Manitou and back would be neat? Because I do. Just saying.

Edit: LOL@ my thread confusion...wait, we're NOT talking about the bus in this one?? Oh yeah, the mayor...duh! >.<

Last edited by Sonic_Spork; 06-21-2012 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Thread confusion...

Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,714 times
smdensbcs: To keep customer turnover and prevent all-day parkers, just enforce a one or two hour limit, like they do now with the meters, except get rid of the meters (parking enforcement folks could use the old chalk mark on the tires system for enforcement). I still don't see how closing a 2-3 block portion of Tejon would impose that much of a burden. You can still park on the side streets as you probably do now. Besides....you're shopping for a backpack, you know, to hike with, right? Come on!

Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Seems like Bach took the word "Strong," to mean "Hammer," or "Bully." He sure seems closed minded to me. Are his advisors well informed? My vote was for Skorman, how would our city have progressed by "Poor Richard?" (much better, he would have listened and made better choices.) IMHO

A leader of a country, or a state, city, must be a tough job. (duh? ya think?) However, if you are representing all people you need an open mind and heart.

Lived in Colorado Springs as a teen. Moved away, and came back a few years ago. When I go downtown, I can see Tejon, closed to traffic and a beautiful ped mall. Anyway, back to the drawing board,eh?

Last edited by mollygee; 06-23-2012 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs