U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:16 PM

4,877 posts, read 6,510,585 times

Advertisements

Carrera32: Yes, that's him. I think my dad knows him somehow. Fullback32 - we need engineers so you're quite handy, just in a different way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,984 times
[quote=Fullback32;25010430]I am an American Indian and yes I "look like one" - long black hair, brown skin and all. I am married to white woman (blond and fair). I have not come across any overt racism. Sometimes we get looks, but it always seems more of a "wow, an Indian" sort of fascination thing rather than "what is that Indian doing with one of our women" type of thing. That has happened a couple of times; you can see it in their eyes. It is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to looks and we really don't get looks that often. Nothing you wouldn't get in any other state and a lot less than you would get in some states.

Only once in the 12 years I've lived here has anything been said and it was some dirty redneck type who said as he passed by me, "Someone needs a haircut," to which I said "someone better be careful that I don't cut his hair." Oh and there was the guy at the grocery store who grabbed his daughter and held her close as I walked by with fear in his eyes. What did he think I was going to do: throw her onto my pony and take her back to camp to be a captive? Someone's been watching too many movies. Moron....sheez. These are the only two occurances of these types of behavior I've encountered in the twelve years I've lived here. So over over a span of 4383 days, that's pretty good! There are many multiracial couples here especially with the large military community so you should be fine.

As to rent, I have to echo Mike. That might be a bit low for some of the better places, but you'd have to check around. It's been a long time since I have been apartment or rental house hunting.

As to jobs, that kind of depends on what kind of thing you are looking for.[/QUOTE

]well that sounds funny as hell ...... Just
Lookin for something different life. Just like to be comfortable .. so I just 700-800 it is then for rent... Need to bring a friend.
I don't feel like fighting ovr women with servicemen... I was in the service...... Thxs ..... Any bad sides of town. Going in the
Medical field..... Always can make a living theirs

Old 07-03-2012, 04:24 PM

20,110 posts, read 37,326,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devans35 View Post
..... Any bad sides of town. Going in the Medical field..... Always can make a living theirs
The S.E. area of town is in the news a lot, but DeckDoc lives there and swears it's fine.

Four major hospitals here and lots of small stuff around....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 AM

4,209 posts, read 6,892,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devans35 View Post
Hey gun well no reason really...... Just grew up that way..my son is mixed.... Never thought about it.
I don't think anybody needs a reason to admire a beautiful female. God got it right when he made Eve.
GL2

Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,619,835 times
Devans,

This is the most accepting place I've been to for interracial relationships. When we walk through the malls there are several interracial couples there holding hands. It was nice, because my current city is full of racists. It should be noted there is a different culture there. Everyone simply acts like a person. In Iowa there are very clear cultural divides. I've never spent much time in Indiana, but I don't think you have to worry about racism in the springs. Competition for dates may be fierce because of the military presence.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:54 PM

17,739 posts, read 8,340,203 times
I was in Manitou Springs for a while in mid-afternoon and saw quite a few mixed race couples.

But, on the other hand, there's something about a Black couple living up here in Stetson area getting some KKK lit on their doorstep. Don't know the details. KKK = Neanderthalenthis.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,604 times
Default Retired mixed couple considering Colorado Springs

We are a black/white retired couple approaching 70 and wish to relocate out of Kansas. Other than getting used to a large urban area with bunches of people Colorado Springs is looking pretty good. Any new insights anyone?

Last edited by Hannah8541; 08-17-2013 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Want to move it to the top so it will be seen.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:43 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,619,835 times
Hey Hannah,

Welcome to the thread! When this thread was last active I lived in the Midwest in a heavily racist city. I had visited the Springs and found that most of the racism had simply died here. I moved here since then, and my conclusion has held. In the time since I moved to Colorado Springs, I have hardly witnessed racism. Now granted, I don't get out all that much. In one instance, I was at a park with a few friends and a group of hispanic men refused to play ball with us. (They were playing against each other) Did they dislike us because of our race? I have no clue. My guess is that they didn't want to play with us because it was going to be a one sided game. My group is decent, about high school varsity level. That was the only situation I've had where it could have been construed as racism, but I doubt it was.

Hopefully a few others will chime in as well, but I think you're looking at the same case as a year ago. Racism is very common in some parts of the country, but not here.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 AM

409 posts, read 549,788 times
I'm still looking at it with newcomer's eyes, but I think I've seen more mixed race couples than matched minority couples since we've been here.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,135,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
I'm still looking at it with newcomer's eyes, but I think I've seen more mixed race couples than matched minority couples since we've been here.
Probably the military presence, where mixed marriages are common. I expect there will also be more same sex couples soon since the military has officialy and firmly embraced same sex marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs