U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:09 AM

567 posts, read 601,899 times

Advertisements

Here off 8th St, we got heavy rain for 20-30 minutes and then only on and off for the rest of the evening. Every time I looked at the radar map it seemed that my neighborhood was only on the fringe of the storm while the really heavy rain was falling south or east. The thunder was continuous here, though.... it seems like it's done now, finally.

Hope everybody stays safe and dry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 AM

400 posts, read 376,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Hunter View Post
Well, that was the most nighttime lightning I think I've seen so far in Colorado Springs. 95% of the strikes were south of me, but I could still see lots of the bolts. There were flashes every 1/4 second or less. The rumbling was constant for about 30 minutes (seriously, there was no breaks between thunder). This must have been one heck of a show for all of you living in the south end of Springs.

I wonder if that's accurate? If so, that has to be causing flooding for a lot of people!
It is fairly accurate. I have a senson with a rain guage mounted on a pole on the roof. When they release the rain totals im surw it will be very close.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:43 PM

4,882 posts, read 6,517,423 times
I went down to check out the new disc golf course by the El Pomar Sports complex off of Janitell behind the Kohl's on Circle Drive. They had some major flooding last night - the pedestrian bridge over the creek got hit by a tree in the water and it lodged into the bridge and pulled up a plank. Water came across the sports fields so high that it went over the chain-link fence in a few places and actually knocked them over in a spot. The rubber tiled on the playground were all moved and several rocks the size of two fists were moved several feet too. The old house south of the fields was completely overrun by water and is surrounded by several-inch deep standing water on all sides still. We saw several downed trees by the creek which is still high and several drowned mice in various places. We watched a squirrel moving her babies - apparently the tree was by the creek and fell or was damaged in the storm and she was trying to find a new home for them. The disc golf course is very muddy. It is very new and tee boxes are often just stakes in the ground - but the shots are very long and actually go over the creek in some places.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:53 PM

152 posts, read 113,093 times
After observing the weather patterns here in Northern Colorado Springs for the past 8-years, I can say that based on our current weather pattern, our Monsoon season occurs between May and the first half of June, or not at all. Despite what everyone says, I haven't seen many thunderstorms or rain at all in July/August (at least not in the last 5-years). Of course, my findings apply to 80918, and not other parts of Colorado Springs that do seem to get more thunderstorms than us.

Here is a breakdown of the last 5-years of weather here:

2010: No monsoon season (due to the drought).
2011: No monsoon season (due to the drought).
2012: No monsoon season (due to the drought).
2013: Very small monsoon season. most of it occurred in the first part of June.
2014: Active thunderstorms in May and first part of June. July and August had almost no activity at all.
2015: Extremely active May and first part of June. So far, the 2nd half of June and all of July has had no activity at all. I imagine the trend will continue. We might get a few stray thunderstorms between now and the end of August, and that will probably be it.

I am curious if this weather trend of having an active Monsoon season in May/June will continue. I guess we will find out...

Old 07-22-2015, 07:19 PM

It is late July now and we've had rain almost every day. We are still in our monsoon season. Although one month may have more precipitation, the monsoon season is really typically a few months long, not just a few weeks. It's monsoon season in Colorado: What does that mean?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
It is late July now and we've had rain almost every day. We are still in our monsoon season. Although one month may have more precipitation, the monsoon season is really typically a few months long, not just a few weeks. It's monsoon season in Colorado: What does that mean?
My post is strictly referring to the part of town I live in, which is 80918. We have not had more than 20 minutes of rain this ENTIRE month. I am not talking about the monsoon season for all of Colorado Springs and Colorado. I'm talking about this part of town specifically. The last 3 years, we have gotten most of our activity in May and June, as I already stated.

I know that the official monsoon season peaks in July and August for Colorado Springs in general based on historical data (you don't need to post a link to that). But I am just writing down my own observations based on the Northern part of Colorado Springs. If you have had rain every day, then you obviously live in a different part of town. Weather Underground called for 50-80% chance of rain the last 3 days here, and we got nothing. I saw a severe storm North of us yesterday, but it did not touch us. The entire point of this thread, after all, is how thunderstorms avoid this area. I've already posted about a dozen radar images proving my theory.

Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 07-22-2015 at 08:01 PM..

Old 08-10-2015, 01:35 AM

So far, my prediction is holding up. We had one heavier 15-minute rainstorm last week, and that is ALL for July and August thus far. It looks like a big storm hit the other parts of Colorado Springs tonight (except us). Here is the radar:

So far, the storms have avoided us tonight (as usual).

Old 08-10-2015, 07:56 AM

567 posts, read 601,899 times
FWIW, here off 8th street I saw a lot of lightning flashes from last night's storm, but it all seemed to be well off to the east of here and the thunder rumbling was very distant. I see it did rain a little overnight but certainly the big storm "avoided" visiting my neighborhood as well.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Most of the rain in the past month avoided Security/Widefield/Fountain - but we got some rain last night.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 PM

418 posts, read 1,000,617 times
They didn't avoid the Waldo/Williams Canyon area today, thus downstream on Canon Ave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNfYG8yeEYA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or