U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 07:41 AM

7 posts, read 8,146 times

Advertisements

After much research, I have decided to take the plunge and move to COS. Can anyone recommend neighborhoods I should consider living? I will be visiting in the next month, but would like to focus in on some areas to visit. I'm female, single, 36, have a golden retriever, love outdoor activities (running, biking, tennis, hiking), and also enjoy being near restaurants/bars where people around my age might frequent. I'll rent and can afford up to $1300 for monthly rent. Thanks for any suggestions!

One other question. I have a car that is getting up in mileage (150K). I'll be driving from MA to CO, so quite a distance. Although my car is not showing any significant issues presently, I plan on getting a new car very soon. Would you guys recommend buying a car before I move (to ensure my car actually makes it in the move) or hope that it doesn't break down and buy a car when I get to CO?

Last edited by COS123; 08-04-2012 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: another question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:01 AM

2,866 posts, read 7,097,466 times
My Dodge ram has 236,000 miles on it and I drive regularly between here and Ohio, I don't even think about it. If its taken care of, 150K is nothing for a car

Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Since you love outdoor activities and restaurants/bars, I might suggest you look around the Colorado College / Monument Valley Park neighborhood.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:03 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
If possible, attend a meeting of Jack Quinn's Irish Pub Running Club and you'll meet the mother lode of active young people in town. The food is great there too.

It's downtown, which is safe, flat and really great for cycling. Visit Garden of the Gods, a free city park that is within city limits over on the west side which is great for hiking, biking and climbing (with a permit).

Colorado College is in the Old North End Neighborhood (ONEN) that is a wonderful area of older homes that are well-preserved, sitting on tree-lined streets. It's within a mile of downtown. Check out streets like Cascade, Tejon, Nevada, Weber, Wahsatch, etc.

Don't buy a car until you get here. Any car you bring here will be taxed upon registration, so don't pay taxes on a new/newer car in MA and then again upon moving here. If your old car is running fine it should be okay on the trip out here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 25,177 times
Adjacent, as you widen the downtown circle, is patty Jewett area (see sesamekid's recent post), it's charming area with bungalows as well.

Another area the original poster might like, would be somewhere close to Old Colorado City. it's a charming section of town, with a revitalized merchant area with bars, cute shops etc., with closer access to nice outdoors areas like Garden of Gods & Red Rock Canyon Open space Park, Bearcreek Park. An upscale neighborhood not too far from it would be Skyway area with great views. There are some other neighborhoods closer nearby, but you should investigate and see for yourself and also check crimes in area just for safety. (there's a couple web pages that do that, but cant locate them quickly (maybe Mike knows them).

Old 08-04-2012, 05:13 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Crime Map.

Police Blotter.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 8,146 times
Awesome, thanks for all the help, guys! This will definitely assist me in my search.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:45 PM

193 posts, read 295,256 times
I actually called the local station when we moved into our new apartment. It soothed me to talk to a real person rather than looking at stats on the screen - I was specifically interested in incidents relating to drugs, break-ins, and noise complaints. The officer I spoke with was supremely helpful and candid, and the call definitely put me at ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs