U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:16 PM

193 posts, read 295,799 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty impressed by what the builders have on display in CO springs - A lot of great floor plans and décor. We are mostly going because I like seeing decorating tips, etc, but if anyone is considering new construction - this is the place to be!

If you are military, the Buick dealership has free tickets. plus you can enter a contest if you get a stamp from every home, so it's sort of like a fun scavenger hunt.

This might be old news to everyone else, but there's nothing like this where i'm from, so i'm loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 AM

4,674 posts, read 6,756,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcelmer View Post
I'm pretty impressed by what the builders have on display in CO springs - A lot of great floor plans and décor. We are mostly going because I like seeing decorating tips, etc, but if anyone is considering new construction - this is the place to be!
Me, too! I love going to get ideas that I can incorporate into my home. I have so much fun and come away with the longest "honey do" list!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:55 PM

9,863 posts, read 6,319,078 times
I found a weird decorating thing online, which I showed to a coworker and she was considering doing it. Do a Google image search for "penny floor"...they stuck pennies to the floor, then sealed it with a clear resin or something. It's gorgeous and goes so nicely with the custom mosaics and stuff in this one kitchen I saw. I totally want to stick pennies to a floor in my house now. I also saw pics of countertops done like that (but I prefer the floors.)

Oh, and if you're interested in house-candy...I love to surf homes for sale--even when I'm not really in the market--and I came across one that made me drool a bit. It's in the Old North End, and it's a historic custom home with all this redwood and glass. Looks transplanted from the Northwest, rather than a CO home, but gorgeous anyhow. It even has a name, "The Beadles House." MLS 780930 if you want to look it up. Such a cool house. Mm.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 PM

193 posts, read 295,799 times
That house reminds me of my parent's home before they drywalled the crap out of it. I think my dad would have lived with it like that forever, but my mom wasn't having it. I scan the MLS every day (in multiple cities in the US, too), so my husband thinks i'm crazy. I also signed up for VIP parties with some of the local builders thanks to the parade of homes, solidifying my delusion. I'm 100% sure i'll want a custom home someday, so i'm just starting my research early.

I'm obsessed with a site called pinterest, and i've seen that penny floor before. Best part is it would only cost maybe...$8.00 for a bathroom!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 AM

I'm always searching Realtor.com. I love the houses with tons of pictures. I also buy those Kitchen and Bath Ideas magazines and other home decorating magazines. You never know when you'll see something you can afford to do. At least I can dream!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 AM

I had a subscription to Log Home Living for YEARS...have a humongous stack of em saved. Used to dream of a log home, not sure if that's the direction I still want to go, but I love to gaze and ponder over the interior decorating. Just...hold the heads and antlers. LOL!

I'm so confused, I wish I had a clue what it is I'm doing...buy or rent, and where to move, and how to get to my eventual goal... One thing I do know, I don't want to buy a house in one of these cookie-cutter developments where all the houses look the same and they're parked within 2 feet of each other. Blech!! I don't necessarily have to buy my dream house, but it does need to be in the right kind of area and neighborhood and it does have to be possible for me to customize and reinvent it over time.

Another decorating thing I'm enamoured of recently is Venetian plaster work. I've seen it done in creamy off whites, rich oranges and reds, even black...waxed shiny so it looks and feels like stone. I want to learn this technique. I'm totally impressed by it.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM

727 posts, read 1,137,067 times
Sonic - I owned a log home several years ago. It was a nightmare. The builder apparently didn't choose the right kind of logs for our climate (East Coast, lots of humidity and rain) and/or didn't properly flash and otherwise seal the logs to prevent water damage. He also didn't treat the logs for boring insects. Our home inspector was incompetent and didn't catch the problems before we bought. By the time we finished with replacing most of the logs (hand peeled and brought in a truck from Montana to VA) holding up our deck (which wrapped around the entire second floor of the house), stripped the house, treated it for boring insects, resealed it, etc., I'd sunk 50K that I never recovered when we sold. I learned my lessons the hard way.

My experiences are not necessarily what others should expect or have experienced. I'm sure most log homes are well built by scrupulous builders who know what they're doing with log home construction. But that's not always the case.

My advice is first to really do your homework and choose a manufacturer/builder with a strong track record in building log homes (and really check references). There are some very unscrupulous folks out there passing themselves off as legitimate. A fancy full page ad in Log Home Living doesn't guarantee anything. Same applies if you're buying an existing home (find out who built it and make sure they know what they're doing). Second, make sure the logs are suitable for the climate (logs come in cedar, oak, pine, etc.). The climate in CO is completely different than the high humidity and wetter climates in the East, so that may not be as much of an issue here. I think most would recommend cedar. Ours were standing dead pine; big mistake. Too porous for our climate. Third, check the seemingly little stuff. The builder of our house didn't install enough flashing in areas subject to water seepage (i.e., between the deck boards and the underpinning logs. When it rained, water seeped down through the nail holes and into the supporting logs, eventually rotting them out. Also backsplashing onto the logs from rainfalls caused some problems (cutting out and replacing logs from the main structure is not fun nor cheap). Fourth, depending on what type of logs you have, maintenance is ongoing and somewhat different from stick built homes. Chinking (the material between the logs) is a combination of solid foam pieces covered by a synthetic caulking material. Over time, the caulking shrinks and you have to patch it. Considering how much chinking there is in a typical log home, that's a constant maintenance item. Fifth, boring insects don't like cedar, but they seem to like everything else. If it's not cedar, make sure your home is treated before it's sealed. Otherwise, down the road, you have to strip the exterior, treat it, and reseal it. Not a small job. Sixth, understand that the logs need to be stained/sealed on a regular basis. Cedar can weather naturally to a grey/silver color, but most other materials absolutely require resealing every few years.

I don't mean to scare you off from your dream of a log home, but you should know that there are a lot of potential pitfalls. If you do your due diligence and go in with eyes wide open, you'll be fine. We fell in love with the house we saw, didn't do enough research, and paid the price.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:47 PM

Oh yeah, I've read about all of that stuff. Like I said, I don't think that's even the direction I want to go anymore, I'm just taking inspiration from say the kitchens, bathrooms, decor, etc. in those magazines. My dreams are ever-changing...I think I like the idea of "logs" (actually character logs, with weird whorls and knots and such) as accents on the inside, or smaller straight logs as exposed beams in front of a drywalled ceiling...more cosmetic than anything...not so much building the entire home out of actual logs. But the magazines still interest and inspire me. And of course redwood gives me the warm fuzzies, but I'm not sure I'd want to build a whole darn house out of it. I love brick and stone and stucco (the white, not the terra cotta colored.)

Even at the height of my log-home fetish, I knew that I wanted the interior walls to be more like those in a stick-built home, with sheetrock/drywall, so I could paint and decorate as I please and so changes and repairs and updates to plumbing and wiring are simpler. As technology evolves, the need to add different kinds of wiring to a home over time would come up for us, being the techies we are...wiring through logs always sounded like a total pain.

Also I always felt like interior log walls in many log homes are overwhelming, instead of a rich wood accent that draws the eye, it's wood everywhere you look. I prefer a variety of color and texture and contrast, personally.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM

486 posts, read 1,237,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I found a weird decorating thing online, which I showed to a coworker and she was considering doing it. Do a Google image search for "penny floor"...they stuck pennies to the floor, then sealed it with a clear resin or something. It's gorgeous and goes so nicely with the custom mosaics and stuff in this one kitchen I saw. I totally want to stick pennies to a floor in my house now. I also saw pics of countertops done like that (but I prefer the floors.)

Oh, and if you're interested in house-candy...I love to surf homes for sale--even when I'm not really in the market--and I came across one that made me drool a bit. It's in the Old North End, and it's a historic custom home with all this redwood and glass. Looks transplanted from the Northwest, rather than a CO home, but gorgeous anyhow. It even has a name, "The Beadles House." MLS 780930 if you want to look it up. Such a cool house. Mm.
What a gem! I looked it up and it does look like it belongs in Portland or Seattle! Great character and lush yard - I might just feature it on my house blog!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 AM

Teller County has a lot of log/cedar houses. Ours was a Lindal Cedar Home that we built in 1975 on 1 acre of land north of Divide. We eventually purchased two adjoining parcels of land for a total of almost 4 acres and an unparalled view of Pikes Peak. Over the years, we updated a few times from the harvest gold/avocado green/burnt orange of 1975 to granite counters, quarry tile floors and backsplash/shower walls in kitchen and baths, new decks, windows, interior doors, etc. It's hysterical to look back at the original pictures of the house from the 70's and 80's. Green shag carpet?????? What were we THINKING?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs