U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 AM

98 posts, read 199,192 times

Advertisements

In our search for housing in the co spgs area, we have noticed a lot of basements but not many walkouts.I did find a few in castle rock , and denver, but we are more interested in the co spgs area.Does anyone know which areas to look in ? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 11:28 AM

215 posts, read 631,622 times
I'm in Colorado Springs in the Powers area (Stetson Hills) and I have a walk out basement. It obviously just depends on the type of lot. We love the walk out though. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM

5,011 posts, read 6,700,875 times
There are walkout basements in Security/Widefield - but not all houses - I think just certain of the designs have them, so you just have to find a home of the right design up for sale.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM

9,834 posts, read 6,305,324 times
I wouldn't advise looking for that specifically in Security-Widefield although it might exist in a few spots, it's not going to be as common. Key to a walkout basement is usually a sloping plot of land. It slopes down towards the back of the property, therefore the basement is half-underground but the back is exposed. So, naturally, I'd expect to find them in areas with more hills, and I'd look maybe at the west side (?) as opposed to out on the plains.

But...I wonder if maybe some of the search sites might have that as an option you can plug into your search? Might be easier that way.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:24 PM

309 posts, read 359,919 times
We live in Northgate and looked at a ton of lots up here with walkouts. Since we have teenage girls (some of whom sleep in basement bedrooms) we decided against a walkout basement. (Not a safety concern, it just eliminates the temptation of having unauthorized company come in the back way.)

Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM

9,834 posts, read 6,305,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMac View Post
We live in Northgate and looked at a ton of lots up here with walkouts. Since we have teenage girls (some of whom sleep in basement bedrooms) we decided against a walkout basement. (Not a safety concern, it just eliminates the temptation of having unauthorized company come in the back way.)
Good call, MrsMac. I was a bad teenager back in my day. I totally did that. I am SO much more vigilant with my kids than my parents were with me, I would never put them in that kind of living arrangement either. It's inviting trouble!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,085,913 times
Try searching through Trulia. Select 'More search options', then put 'walkout' in the keywords. This will get many of them.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 PM

193 posts, read 295,591 times
In our recent home search, about 50% had walk outs! we only looked at homes with basements. I found more in the newer areas, in the North. But there were definitely a few.

I love them too - awesome for extra lighting.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM

98 posts, read 199,192 times
Thanks becky ,and all the other folks too, for tips , ideas, and inspiration,Since we are empty nesters, we plan to use the walkout for a studio.Our kids lived upstairs , where we have 4 bedrooms.Not always the best arrangement for peace and harmony IMHO

Old 08-09-2012, 05:50 PM

309 posts, read 359,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbozo13 View Post
Thanks becky ,and all the other folks too, for tips , ideas, and inspiration,Since we are empty nesters, we plan to use the walkout for a studio.Our kids lived upstairs , where we have 4 bedrooms.Not always the best arrangement for peace and harmony IMHO
We are so glad we have the basement for the girls for just that reason. Teenage girls tend to travel in packs and having a rec room along with the bedrooms and bathroom (with a door at the top of the stairs!) has made life so much quieter!

We have 9 foot ceilings and huge windows in the basement so even though it isn't a walkout it's incredibly light and bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs