U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 AM

68 posts, read 187,654 times
Default Does my minivan need winter tires or all weather tires?

First of all, I love this forum - I have learned so much in here

Finally, we are moving to Colorado Springs next week. We have a Honda Odysee minivan and have only been driving it in Texas. Being originally from Switzerland (and only used to driving in the snow with winter tires) I am wondering whether minivan drivers in Colorado Springs change in winter time to winter tires or do you drive all year round with all weather tires? We will only use the minivan locally (Briargate area) to take the kids to school and run errands. For skiing and trips into the mountains we will have another car.

I would really appreciate your input. I want to be ready for that first drive on icy roads and snow
Thank you.
Rosie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 08:49 AM

362 posts, read 1,032,332 times
Welcome to Colorado!

I have lived in Briargate in Colorado Springs since 1983. I keep one set of Winter tires (I use Blizzaks, but most any brand will do) mounted on a separate set of wheels and install them upon first significant snow, usually Nov-1.

Last winter was unusually snowy and Icy. Winter tires bring about a dramatic improvement to driving traction on snow and Ice. They cost about $600 for a set and will last about 4 winters. If you avoid one accident, you easily pay for the set. Furthermore, they may save your life.

For me, it's a no brainer. They have saved me countless times.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:20 AM

498 posts, read 904,488 times
I just use all-weather tires, and have never had a problem.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 AM

26,362 posts, read 54,170,320 times
Sort of dilemma. I live on the Palmer Divide (alt 7300) and work out at Schriever 38 miles away, and a lot of winter mornings I would expect to really appreciate special tires for snow. However once I get into the Springs (even last winter) the roads were much less icy. So, do I configure my truck or vehicle with special snow tires for those first ten miles of icy driving and drive the next 28 miles on fairly good roads down to Schriever? I can just see myself (Mr. Cheap) cringing at the thought of wearing out these expensive tires on miles and miles of mostly dry pavement. Last year I just had regular mud and snow tires on my truck but driving down the 83 was very scary. My heart rate descended from about 160 once I got down to Powers. Of course this coming winter we'll have a grand total of nine inches of snow.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 PM

362 posts, read 1,032,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Sort of dilemma. I live on the Palmer Divide (alt 7300) and work out at Schriever 38 miles away, and a lot of winter mornings I would expect to really appreciate special tires for snow. However once I get into the Springs (even last winter) the roads were much less icy. So, do I configure my truck or vehicle with special snow tires for those first ten miles of icy driving and drive the next 28 miles on fairly good roads down to Schriever? I can just see myself (Mr. Cheap) cringing at the thought of wearing out these expensive tires on miles and miles of mostly dry pavement. Last year I just had regular mud and snow tires on my truck but driving down the 83 was very scary. My heart rate descended from about 160 once I got down to Powers. Of course this coming winter we'll have a grand total of nine inches of snow.
How much is your life worth?

It's a no-brainer!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:32 PM

14 posts, read 41,678 times
Default Snow tires

In my experience in upstate New York and some word of mouth from close friends that use snow tires...... The difference is HUGE. Additionally, one of my good friends that works in the car business has stated that a good set of snow tires can almost out perform some of the AWD systems that are on sedans and some minivans.

Above all, and this is a no brainer, no system is perfect. Your careful acceleration, braking, and turning will have the greatest affect.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:11 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,170,320 times
Default Snow Tires: Sequoia, F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
How much is your life worth?

It's a no-brainer!
You're right.

Let me throw this out to the community.

Got a 99 (2WD, RWD) Durango which we will own for about six or eight more months. Don't want to break the bank buying winter snow tires...need something for this winter only. The vehicle will be used for daily commuting from Monument to Schriever.

My wife will be driving my F-150 4WD for the next six months, mostly local only, occasionally into the north Springs too. (She's getting the 2008 4WD Toyota Sequoia whenever it comes out...)

Long term, after we sell the Durango, I'll drive the Ford and she'll drive the Toyota.

So, what is the snow tire plan?

Last edited by Charles; 10-05-2007 at 06:27 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 PM

14 posts, read 41,678 times
Default snow tires

I dont have much information on brands, etc.....

But with your use being for such a short time, you should try to buy used. Should be able to find plenty that are used, but barely any wear. You will just have to research brands, sizes, etc. Get the correct size, put them on as you approach the snow season. Keep them on until the end of winter and enjoy your new Sequoia next spring!! The two sets of tires may also help your resale value for the Durango.

Craigslist or eBay would both be good places to look.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:43 PM

68 posts, read 187,654 times
Thanks for your responses! I have decided to go for winter tires...just to be on the safe side...especially with driving the kids.

I have missed so much the 4 season - and I am now very much looking forward to winter

Rosie

Old 10-06-2007, 11:30 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,491,255 times
It certainly can't hurt to get winter tires, but learning to drive on snow and ice is far more important. A bit of caution and skill is still needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs