Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:06 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,217,525 times

Advertisements

And a cabin that wasnt built to code has very little value when you go to sell, might even be a liability. Since its not a legal structure, you cant get homeowners insurance on it - so the new owner cant get a traditional loan and has to come up with cash. Price then becomes pretty much just what the undevelped land is. On the other hand, if you can find some place with an "illegal" cabin already on it, you probably can get the cabin for free. But with population density and higher values, the illegal cabins will be very rare (which I think is a good thing - consider what you would do with your sewage over nine months and you were not the only one doing that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 09:34 AM

242 posts, read 409,489 times
You point out THE thing I see most folks missing when they speak of the "affordability" of a "tiny house". Basically...you get what you pay for....always....

We bought an older "cabin" last year.....and NOBODY checked it for codes.....not the lender....not the insurance company NO ONE even looked at it...they just took the check...happily.....and off we all went... I KNOW there are code violations.....but again....on an EXISTING home...there are no real checks and balances in place MOST of the time.

We plan to remodel....to code.....but my point is that nobody is checking this kinda stuff on OLDER homes....and if folks want to slide by an older home is gonna be the easiest way to let it all happen rather than starting/trying to set a whole new slew of code violations in motion by pulling in a trailer/tiny home (same thing) and crapping in a hole.

Yup...consideration to the neighborhood is also something folks don't think about all that much, it seems. Thing is, if you aren't nice/don't play by the rules you may not even have a trailer when you return. "Shat Happens"....know what I'm sayin'?

Old 02-02-2015, 09:47 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,138,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancane1 View Post
live there for about 9 months a year (until winter)
Hmm.... Winter weather here in Colorado and especially in the mountains will last longer than 3 months. Not sure of you tolerance for 'winter weather', but it can get really cold and snowy starting in October all the way through April some years.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 37,719 times
OK, bummer but thanks. I was really looking forward to staying in a mountain trailer for several months a year near a lake.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:23 AM

8 posts, read 20,405 times
I just purchased a property on Rock Creek Mesa Rd. bordering the a trail of Cheyenne National Park. It is zoned F-5 (Forestry) It has an old Tuberculosis hut on it and I am going to re-do the hut and make it a tiny house for vacation purposes. The lot is not build-able so I can't add on or build a new structure. The lot is around 50 x 220. Anyone know if a tiny house or rv could be used on the property on a part time basis. I would be using this property for vacationing throughout the year. My plan was to have a temporary water tank for water use and a compost toilet. I am really excited about the property and I was in Colorado springs for the first time last summer with my son and we had a great time. I look forward to many trips back. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2015, 10:28 AM

242 posts, read 409,489 times
In the Rock Creek Mesa subdivision?

Did you check with the county on this camping plan/sanitation plan/water usage plan before buying this land?

I hope it works out for you but...um...I'm guessing you are in for a rude awakening in this neighborhood setting with such plans/such uses. I know it wouldn't fly in my neighborhood of similarly prices homes.

good luck.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
While looking, do be sure what is already there has been legally placed. (Often an issue with old Mobile homes).

In general I prefer to buy a place with a trashed home / living unit, and 'tune-it-up' with my dozer.
(Comes with Free existing power (transformer and line and meter base), septic / well / road / placement / living zoning (if previously taxed as such (residential)... ALL the above require permits (and cost) to add them)

I often add a shop with NICE apartment and RV hookups. (takes 1-2 months and can be warm and secure place to call 'home', and great for stashing home supplies for future building that you find on Freecycle),

Bonus room... The assessor does not know what you do INSIDE the shop.
My neighbor has a 3 story apartment inside with Cherry cabinets and Granite counters and floor. A 20 x 50 covered deck on the back side overlooking a canyon.

With the annual use of Drones and Satellite imagery and recognition software by assessor and code compliance, it is very tough to add extra buildings or RV's. (I got nailed for a Yellow colored equipment trailer in a Farm Zone... Yellow meant 'commercial use' to code officer, even tho I used it to haul my tractor and hay.. I painted it, and bought some more camo netting for other yellow things that might be outside during a drone strike (dozer / Backhoe / excavator / utility truck).

Old 02-07-2015, 06:11 PM

8 posts, read 20,405 times
I don't think it's in a subdivision.&nbsp; It's in a secluded forest area.&nbsp; The hut was dropped there over 25 years ago.&nbsp; The realtor told me that it is grandfathered in but you can't build on the property.&nbsp;&nbsp; An old woman used to sleep in the hut in the summers for the past 25 yrs. The realtor said you can have a camper on the land but I'm not sure about long term for a tiny house on wheels or rv.&nbsp; My lot is the smallest in the area.&nbsp; Most are 5 acres and larger. Where is Rock Creek Mesa subdivision?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; What are the cross streets.&nbsp; The lots by my property are very large and not like a subdivision.&nbsp; Any more info would be helpful if you know.<br>

Old 02-07-2015, 09:12 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,349,860 times
It varies by county, by town and by neighborhood. Find an area where you see other RVs being used as residences and you can be pretty sure it's allowed there. Otherwise, you can be pretty sure it's not. There is cheap land in Park county where you can park an rv year round and maybe even live in it. Enjoy the wind!

Last edited by otterprods; 02-07-2015 at 10:20 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 10:01 PM

481 posts, read 1,292,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
It varies by county, by town and by neighborhood. Find an area where you see other RVs being used as residences and you can be pretty it's allowed there.
This pretty much sums it up. The county may say it's okay to camp long-term on your property but the city might have other ideas. The HOA of the subdivision may have completely different bylaws. Some HOAs allow living in a camper but the county laws say no. It's a logistical nightmare dealing with laws and covenants but make sure you know them all before you do anything with your land.

Before buying always check to make sure with the county that your plot is zoned for your purposes. Then check with the HOA to make sure you can do what you want with the land.

@tbhut: Are you talking about Rock Creek Mesa Rd. in the SW part of Colorado Springs? If so, that's a pretty upscale area that I doubt you can just remodel an old tb hut and call it home. You say the lot is un-buildable. I'm guessing that's because of the size and dimensions. In the old west mining days, speculators cut city lots into weird and tiny dimensions. I own a house on a lot that measures 25' by 125'. That narrow width has made many municipalities require two or three lots to build on.

Your little tb hut is a neat part of Colorado Springs history but the small lot dimensions and the fact that building codes exist make it pretty hard to do anything with that lot. Ask the county for a variance, that's about your best bet.

Last edited by Littlekw; 02-07-2015 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs