U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:32 AM

13 posts, read 16,367 times

Advertisements

Hello, the parents in COS.
I have a 13-year-old daughter who wants to apply a private high school in COS. We want to know which is the best private high school in COS in terms of college admission rate, number of of AP courses, class size, students and teacher ratio.
Would you please brief me a reference ranking list? Maybe top 10 from the view points of parents.

Thanks
Rebecca Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM

842 posts, read 1,251,330 times
I'm trying to think if we even have 10 private schools...

The Colorado Springs School
Fountain Valley School
St. Mary's High School
Colorado Springs Christian School
Pikes Peak Christian School
Evangelical Christian Academy
Hilltop Baptist School

K-12: Private Schools | Education Guide | Colorado Springs Independent

I have taught at St. Mary's, but years ago, and I loved the atmosphere there for the teachers, and I have a student who attended CSS and is phenomenal, and she loved it and speaks very highly of it. She left because of the expense.

Otherwise, I could google and find out the information, but maybe you'll get more out of it if you do it, as I don't know exactly what you're looking for.

The only two on the list that are not religion-based are the first two.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM

12,103 posts, read 20,372,219 times
I had friends who went to Fountain Valley School and loved it...

Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM

808 posts, read 1,177,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaleah View Post
Hello, the parents in COS.
I have a 13-year-old daughter who wants to apply a private high school in COS. We want to know which is the best private high school in COS in terms of college admission rate, number of of AP courses, class size, students and teacher ratio.
Sorry, because I know you asked a simple, different question, but I presume money is no object here, because I can think of several EXTREMELY high quality local public high schools that are going to have college admission rates and AP course criteria that equal or exceed any of those private schools. The savings could, in theory, be used for ... say, college? Even if my net worth was 10x what it is, I'm not sure I could (personally) justify sending my kids to a private high school when the local public school is ridiculously excellent and virtually all the kids head off fully prepared to do the work at fine colleges.

Bear in mind I'm somewhat one-sided in my views on this, and I'm sure certain private local high-schools can probably provide roughly as good an educational experience as our local high-quality public schools. Perhaps I just knew too many substance-abusing, slightly-dopey elite private school kids while growing up to be impartial on this topic!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:12 PM

2,534 posts, read 5,824,059 times
Are you living in Colorado Springs and sincerely interested in learning about the private schools for your daughter?

You've posted in other areas in the last few days:
Quote:
Private high school in Toledo

We have a 13-year-old daughter who wants to apply a private high school in Toledo. We want to know the private high school here.
The ranking?
hope your help.
Thanks!
Quote:
Who knows about Mercy High School in Farmington Hill?
Hello
I am considering send my 13-year-old daughter to Mercy High School in Farmington Hill.
Anybody can tell me something about this school?

Thanks

Old 09-21-2012, 12:53 AM

Thanks so much for your reply!
I will visit the website of listing schools to inquiry some more regarding the criteria such as college admission rate. class size, AP courses,etc.
I am a foreigner considering send my daughter to the States to accept the excellent education there.
I am considering find a private high school shince we can't apply for the public school in the states. My target is one out of the Colorado Springs,Austin, Milwaukee or Detroit.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 AM

Hi SUZICO
Thanks for asking. We are investigating a group of target cities which my husband may find a job there and sponsor our daughter to apply a good high school.
Currently we can find private school only since we are foreigners. One of our friends who came from Colorado Springs told us the nice living condition here.
Austin and Detroit is also under our consideration.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 AM

9,826 posts, read 6,305,324 times
I do not know your circumstances, but if your husband and daughter come to the US legally, she would be able to go to public school. You do not apply to public school at all, if you are in the area, your child just goes to it based on where you live. Foreigners are welcome in US public schools and many already have a lot of students from different places. One of my best friends in high school was from Pakistan (her whole family came here because her older brother was going to college here.) Another was from Haiti and spoke fluent French. I believe that even the children of illegal immigrants get a free public school education in the US, but I don't know very much about the immigration process and how illegal immigrants get by.

I looked into the Fountain Valley School recently, just out of curiosity because I live near it. It is a boarding school, students live there and not at home, is that what you are looking for? And it costs over $50,000 USD per year. I don't know why you would choose that, instead of a free public school that has the same qualifications, no application needed, if she comes here she gets to go. Being from another country would not change that.

It is good you are doing research on different cities however. There are very good and very bad schools in different places all over the US, both public and private. Best wishes and good luck to your family!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:30 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,698,140 times
I do believe the only boarding school in the area is Fountain Valley School. So that's probably your only option if sending a child alone unless you have friends/family for your daughter to stay with. If you do, she ought to be able to go to public school - any child can go to public school - even the children of illegal immigrants, incidentally.
I suppose you are trying to use the schooling as the means to the visa, though, which is why you are pursuing private schools?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 PM

Smile Does public high school in COS accept foreign students?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I do not know your circumstances, but if your husband and daughter come to the US legally, she would be able to go to public school. You do not apply to public school at all, if you are in the area, your child just goes to it based on where you live. ...
Hi Sonic_Spork:
We are gradeful for your answer. We found it is difficult to get a authority to work in U.S. Many jobs are openning for us but No employer can offer a sponsorship for H1B visa for my husband. We graduated from University in early 1990s, we don't want to get into US illegally.
Unfortunately, the US Policy does not allow a foreigner child to study in a public high school more than 1 year. So the private school is the only choice for us.
We know the tuition and fee of boarding private school is way far above our afford limit. So we are looking for a private school with affordable expense.

By the way, Is it real as you and Otowi mentioned here that international students can be accepted by public high school in COS? We like COS since our question have got so many generous attention here than anywhere else. Meanwhile, my husband is trying his best to find a job here. Anyone has employment information of mechanical engineer in COS?

Thanks a lot!
Rebecca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs