Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:58 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Boulder is known to be much more liberal and progressive than Colo Spgs; politically, socially, economically, environmentally, etc.

Town is big on bicycling, walkability, education, etc.

I think you'd like it there, or the nearby towns if Boulder's housing prices should give you pause....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:07 AM

18 posts, read 23,326 times
We are trying to find an affordable home (200-300K range), which makes Boulder seem a little undesirable, and part of what made CO Springs appealing, besides the distance from the Denver metro and proximity to the mountains. We could swing more that 300k, but don't want to. I would rather find a less-expensive home with potential and work on it over time. I have no love, nor need, for granite countertops or other high-end finishes. Husband and I are more progressive than conservative, and not at all religious (not to mention in our late 30's and married with no children) so I do have some concerns about feeling socially isolated in CO Springs. That being said, when I compared Boulder to Reston VA, I should state that I really don't care for Reston. I work there and am growing weary of smug hipsters. That and all the bikes...I mean I like cycling for recreation, but it is more of a religion in the Reston area. This is completely off-topic, but why would you run or bike in the street, in the dark, in a place with no street lights, in dark clothing!?! Sorry, pet peeve. This makes me worry that I would not care for Boulder as well. Husband doesn't spend any time in Reston, so that isn't bothering him, but I have a feeling it would eventually as well.

Longmont also looks like a possibility. Is it similar in any way to CO Springs? I am also concerned with the Rocky Flats area (more in regards to Boulder/Denver suburbs than Longmont). I know the contamination is supposedly contained, but it makes me nervous to be that close to a superfund site. I have no idea what the actual reality of that particular situation is. I suppose I should wander over to the Boulder forum, but just wondered what the perspective is of someone who lives outside the Boulder and Denver metro areas.

We are planning a trip out later this month to wander down the I-25 corridor and look around. We are planning to start at Longmont and work our way down to CO Springs. Hopefully this will give us some more insight. Any suggestions about specific places to see that are tucked away from the interstate but worth consideration? Again, we are looking for something outside Denver metro, less than 300k for a modest 2-3 BR home, hopefully with some historic interest, walkability to at least a few amenities, options for outdoor recreation, and an hour or less to hiking. Husband is in defense contractor tech (specifically software engineering) with a high-level clearance, so that is another consideration. Unfortunately, not all contractor sites do software development, especially at a top-secret level. Skittish about anything close to Rocky Flats, but that is because I don't know much about it. Any help/ideas/information is greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,868 times
Many people rule out Colorado Springs thinking its too religious, but its really not like that here. Yes, you can find the big-box churches here, and a number of other religion based organizations, but its not like they are everywhere. Thinking Colorado Springs is overrun with religious types is like thinking Boulder is overrun with vegetarians and hippies.
There are a LOT of defense supporting companies in Colorado Springs and I would consider if an ideal place for someone looking for a DOD software position.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:32 AM

409 posts, read 704,162 times
So far, I've found that if I'm hanging out near Old Colorado City, or in the Ivywild area, or downtown, I don't feel at all like I'm in a highly conservative or religious area. I see same-sex couples holding hands, that sort of thing. The feel is palpably different when we venture further north and east. If we didn't have elementary-aged kids, I'd look at Old Colorado City, or areas between Platte and Uintah, west of, say, Union, nearish to downtown. The schools in those neighborhoods aren't *bad* looking, per se, but there seem to be better. But housing in those areas seems to be much more affordable than Old North End.

People are *friendly* all over Colorado Springs. North/South/everywhere. Customer service is amazing, and the overall feel of interactions with people is miles better than the DC area. Drivers are *polite* and move over to let you merge on the highway. Weird, eh?

Like anywhere, I suspect that personal relationships will be easiest made if you have a hobby, or join an organization of some sort. We have hobbies, so after a week of being here, we've been out to dinner with newly-made friends three times. It seems that every other person I talk to is a defense contractor or in civil-service.

This is a whole week's worth of experience talking, so this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Hm. No kids. Looking to avoid uppity attitudes, fast pace, excessively career/success obsessed environment, looking for older home, would dream of walking to someplace like a coffee or ice cream shop, strolling with the doggies, fixing up the house, don't need the granite/steel scene of the upscale new builds.

Check, check, check.

Look into the Old North End, Manitou, Old Colorado City, and also stuff on the southwest side of the city approaching the mountains...anything not packed into a congested newer development--I've seen plenty of cool older homes tucked in the woods down there. For instance some of the stuff along W. Cheyanne Rd. and on the way to the zoo. Yes, there are uber-mansions there...but plenty of more modest older homes mixed in. Wouldn't surprise me if one could spot the occasional fixer-upper with just maybe cosmetic issues for a bargain occasionally.

I've only been to Boulder once so I can't say...Fort Collins is a cute town, too...but because of your husband's work needs I'd strongly suggest you focus on the Springs. I think there is more market for his skills and opportunities for his future here, even if he COULD get a job in Boulder right now.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM

641 posts, read 2,276,714 times
Browndog,

Welcome! There are a ton of NoVA and DC area "expats" here in Colorado Springs, who have also decided to immigrate here for the quality of life, myself being one of them.

Another thing to consider is that winter weather can be very different in Northern Colorado than Southern Colorado. I kinda' consider Longmont and Ft. Collins as Southern Wyoming; they can get signiciantly higher snowfall than Colorado Springs in general. In fact, Denver often gets higher snowfall than Colorado Springs.

Many times, when Denver is being hit hard, the Springs hardly gets a dusting. Many times, weather doesn't get South of Monument Pass to us here in the Springs.

If your husband is in the defense industry, the Springs is really the only place to be. There's some defense work in Denver, as well, but the Springs is the hotbed for defense IT.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
Terytee's right. There's a bunch of us NoVA expats (or should I say 'escapees'?); you'll find a number of us right on the forum. Several things you won't miss: humidity, bugs, and unspeakable traffic. We looked at a number of communities throughout the west and in Colorado. We settled on Colorado Springs as the best compromise for the items on our wish list. I think you'll find the people here to be friendly, the outdoor activities to be plentiful, the prevailing attitude to be 'live and let live,' and the cost of living to be very reasonable (particularly in comparison to NoVA). Best of luck.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:40 PM

Just stopping back in to say thank you to everyone for all of their information. Husband has accepted a job in CO (yay!); unfortunately it is located in the Littleton area, so we will be renting in Denver for at least a year. His job may eventually transfer to CO Springs, so I will keep all this valuable info tucked away for future reference!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:47 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Well be sure to come down and visit - drive up Pikes Peak, go to Garden of the Gods, etc. - worth the day trip, and would help familiarity should that transfer happen later!

Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 AM

I have made it down to COS a few times now. It is a lot bigger than it looks on Google Maps My husband had to go to a defense industry event at a hotel in the south part of the city a few weeks back. We really enjoyed our time in COS and Manitou. We took a side trip out to the Great Sand Dunes down south (wow- they don't get enough press, so cool!), and came back to town through Salida on 285 to 24. Question though- is the traffic always that bad coming east at the end of the weekend? We were in stop and go traffic all the way from outside Woodland Park until we passed Manitou. I grew up in Maryland, and it reminded me of the gridlock on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on a Sunday afternoon in the summer. We love getting out to the mountains when we can- any suggestions for routes back into town, COS or Denver metro, from the mountains on the weekend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs