U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 24,196 times

Advertisements

Coming from a big city I have to say the one thing I really notice at night is how dark this city is. Some parts are somewhat lit up but for the most part this city looks dead at night. I asked a coworker and she mentioned that there were tax cuts a couple of years(?) ago and there was a lot of fuss from both sides regarding the street light situation. What happened there? If she was right then that's just crazy. How much could powering street lights possibly cost the individual tax payer? What city chooses to cut funding for street lights? It's like a sad joke that somehow is reality. How can we get them turned on again? It's dangerous driving on these deer-ridden roads at night with minimal lighting. Feels like I live in some backwoods run-down town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,355,007 times
That was a total public relations nightmare for the city. I think they have restored all the funding to the lights on the streets but I could be wrong.

I found this from KOAA:

The City of Colorado Springs is nearly halfway through the process of turning back on all arterial streetlights. By end of Tuesday, 1,350 out of 3,500 streetlights will be back on. The process to turn on all of the lights began on October 1, and the remaining 2,150 will be turned back on by mid-November.

The link: http://www.koaa.com/news/street-ligh...n-the-springs/

Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM

7 posts, read 24,196 times
Awesome! Thank you for that very informative post. I SEE the streetlights but I don't see many on. I also notice that many of them turn on and off throughout the night, maybe based on proximity sensors? Either way thanks again for that link!

Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM

666 posts, read 988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innominate View Post
I also notice that many of them turn on and off throughout the night, maybe based on proximity sensors?
Maybe. But it also might mean the ballast is going out or the bulb needs replaced.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 PM

2,866 posts, read 7,098,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innominate View Post
Where are the street lights?
Who cares? Our city government made a tough decision to turn off some lights at night to save money, MILLIONS of dollars were saved. You might not realize it, but powering all those high pressure sodium lamps costs a ton of money.

Instead of rasing taxes, they did what they needed to do. What's the big deal? Everyone is gonna hit a deer or 2 around these parts eventually, lights or no lights.

I for one am glad they didn't raise any taxes, and now the budget is balanced. How many cities can say that?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 PM

565 posts, read 1,075,382 times
I came from San Diego where it was street lights galore, and to come out here and not see so many is actually refreshing.

Heavily reminds me of the times we'd visit family in El Centro back in the 70's and there were not many lights at all. At least you can see the stars out here...

Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 PM

4,669 posts, read 6,742,826 times
Tucson has ordinances to reduce light pollution because of the Observatories on Mt. Kitt. We're part of the Dark Sky Association. I actually enjoy being able to see stars at night in a city, especially since I lived in Teller County for almost 40 years. Up there, you can see billions of stars at night because there is no light pollution.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 AM

25,833 posts, read 49,727,953 times
I live in the city limits and we have no street lights... kind of nice.

Most of the homes will have a lamp post out by the driveway... some leave them on all night and others just when needed.

Lights are expensive...

Originally, lights were placed near public buildings and at intersections...

I don't miss them at all although I know folks that would prefer near daylight conditions all night.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,138,515 times
[quote=LeisureMan;26972557]I came from San Diego where it was street lights galore, and to come out here and not see so many is actually refreshing.

Many street lights were turned off in San Diego County to save money many years ago. We lived in San Marcos(north San Diego County) and I remember calling about the street lamp in front of our home. They said only the lights at intersections would be left on. It was kinda nice.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,705,458 times
I love the night view of this city. We have enough lights to be beautiful on the ground, but the pollution is reduced so even in the city limits we have a great view of the sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs