Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 AM

54 posts, read 196,786 times

Advertisements

If you have driven to & from Dallas, what is the QUICKEST route. Google maps list three suggestions, but would love to hear from someone who has driven it and can recommend the FASTEST route. We may cut the trip into two days, where should we stop, hotel recommendations? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 AM

930 posts, read 1,653,895 times
We always drive on 82 west through Wichita Falls, Childress, up through Amarillo, through Dalhart, Dumas, up into Raton, and north on I-25. I don't remember the exact road names.

From Dallas, it's a doable 11 hour day-long drive. Coming from Dallas, you'll gain an hour, but it's a solid 11 hours to drive. If you want to stop somewhere, I suggest Amarillo, as it is about a 5-6 hour drive from Amarillo to the Springs.

As far as hotels, Amarillo has many to choose from on I-40. So many to choose from, that you can easily just pick the one that doesn't take you off your route too far.

It's a bit faster, but I suggest taking the loop around Amarillo- I think it's loop 336.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:10 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
I am guessing the three routes are 1) Dallas, Amarillo, Trinidad, Colorado Springs; 2) Dallas, Wichita, Dodge City, Pueblo, Colorado Springs; 3) Dallas, Salina, Limon, Colorado Springs.

First, I am familiar with all of these highways, have driven all these routes, but I have never timed one particular route one against the other.

Looking at the mileage and the average mph one could expect, I really think that - with the current 75 mph speed limit - choice three (up to Salina then west on I-70) would be the fastest, but probably only by a matter of minutes. To save ten or 15 more minutes I usually turn off I-70 at Oakley and take US 40 to CO 94 - but beware, there are very few services of any kind west of Cheyenne Wells and none at all west of Kit Carson - 100 miles from Colorado Springs!

Second choice (or maybe first - it really is likely to be very close on time) is number 1 - Amarillo to Trinidad to the Springs. This route does go through a lot of towns, and so will be more tiring.

Taking Kansas 400 west from Wichita is an attractive drive, but would definitely be the slowest of the three. More miles than the Amarillo route, lower speeds than the Salina route.

The most choices for an overnight close to half way will be in Amarillo and Salina. Dalhart, Tex. and Hays, Ks., have quite a few hotels/motels as well.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:36 PM

193 posts, read 356,204 times
We found the Amarillo route the best of both worlds - expeditious for the most part, but gave us an opportunity to take a break in a nice area. Wonderful antiquing & food!!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:41 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I know the Greyhound busses go route 3 if that means anything.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:41 AM

54 posts, read 196,786 times
Thanks so much, exactly the info I was looking for.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM

461 posts, read 508,672 times
Having driven to Colo. Springs several times a year for the last 14 years I can say for sure that Dallas to Amarillo to Raton/Trinidad on up is the fastest. They have recently (last year or two) widened the highway from Amarillo to Raton and that is so much faster and safer than it used to be.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
Having driven to Colo. Springs several times a year for the last 14 years I can say for sure that Dallas to Amarillo to Raton/Trinidad on up is the fastest. They have recently (last year or two) widened the highway from Amarillo to Raton and that is so much faster and safer than it used to be.
That's good to know. The Raton to Clayton highway could be pretty hairy at times, and 287 to Amarillo was like a trucker's alley. That stretch used to scare me...We would also take the 335 Loop (St. Francis Ave to Lakes Dr.) around Amarillo rather than going through it.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
We always drive on 82 west through Wichita Falls, Childress, up through Amarillo, through Dalhart, Dumas, up into Raton, and north on I-25. I don't remember the exact road names.

From Dallas, it's a doable 11 hour day-long drive. Coming from Dallas, you'll gain an hour, but it's a solid 11 hours to drive. If you want to stop somewhere, I suggest Amarillo, as it is about a 5-6 hour drive from Amarillo to the Springs.

As far as hotels, Amarillo has many to choose from on I-40. So many to choose from, that you can easily just pick the one that doesn't take you off your route too far.

It's a bit faster, but I suggest taking the loop around Amarillo- I think it's loop 336.
This one for sure. I have to run to Dallas from time-to-time as that is where I'm from and where my family lives. It is definitely the quickest route.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM

641 posts, read 2,276,072 times
Agree with HollyT....

"We always drive on 82 west through Wichita Falls, Childress, up through Amarillo, through Dalhart, Dumas, up into Raton, and north on I-25."

I've been through there many times from here, and that's my route.
Might not be the fastest, but offers the best route in terms of gas, food, and restrooms!

And yes, 336 will route you around Amarillo and save you some a little time, but I've always ended up regretting it.

Even though I've saved some time bypassing the city, I'm low on gas, and am regretting the "big orange drank" that I was slurping-on the whole time, and have to stop somewhere anyway.

I go through Amarillo....lot's of places stop if you need em. Lot's of hotels as well, but if you don't have a reservation, the week of Thanksgiving....good luck!

You're better off driving straight through.....it's a long day, but very doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs