U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,510,024 times

Advertisements

I agree. Keep cats indoors in Colorado Springs. They'll live much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:39 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
I have neighbors who let their cats out and no one minds. But I agree that indoors only is for the best, generally...

In the last several months, I've watched a lot of this show "My Cat from Hell" with Jackson Galaxy, a cat behaviorist. Many people think cats can't be trained, well this guy makes it look EASY! So when I think about cat issues now, I think, what would Jackson do?

On episodes I've seen, he doesn't recommend that owners let cats roam outside, except on leashed walks. Many cats really adapt well to that, and they sell special cat harnesses for the purpose. He also has some owners create a "cat-io" (patio) that gives the pet an outdoor area to hang out in. I think the notion of a screened porch, reinforced maybe with a sturdier chicken-wire or something the cat can't demolish, is a neat idea.

I recommend his show to anyone who has, wants, or just likes cats. I think there might be episodes available to stream online, if you don't have cable on demand or whatever. Great insight on what makes cats tick.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,261,321 times
You might want to get her some type of outdoor cat enclosure so she can enjoy going out but not wander off. Something like this kittywalk if she just wants to sun herself.

Amazon.com: Kittywalk Outdoor Net Cat Enclosure for Decks, Patios, Balconies: Pet Supplies

Or this fun run if she wants to run around in the yard.
Amazon.com: ABO Gear Fun Run: Pet Supplies

That way she can enjoy some safe escape proof outdoor time when your there to supervise and be safely indoors the rest of the time.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 PM

15 posts, read 20,002 times
Mic 111- that is awesome! We are actually considering that for our indoor cat that tries to escape all the time because he loves to lay in the sun on the concrete. He would LOVE that.

We have decided to have her stay in Kansas I'm very sad about it but I don't think she will adjust well to all the moving and she is truly an outside cat. We found her at a year old out by an apartment complex we were staying at and have had her for two years. She is still extremely skittish and runs away when you try to catch her. She is still super cuddly BUT it has to be on her terms!

We have a neighbor that likes to play with her that I think would treat her well and keep her safe. Also Leia ( my cat) knows the neighborhood really well.

Thanks everyone for your input. I never really thought about neighbors hating cats as I just love them. We like to feed strays in the winter since they have trouble finding food out here in Kansas.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:47 PM

4,669 posts, read 6,737,637 times
Mic111, that Kitty Walk is awesome!! I have two cats ages 9 and 11 and they would LOVE this as they love to lie in the sun by the sliding door, and love it when the glass door is open and they can smell the fresh air through the screen. Thank you for the link. I am going to order one.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,261,321 times
Marcy1210 you may want to look at this also. It seems to get good reviews.
Amazon.com: ABO Gear Happy Habitat for Indoor Cats: Pet Supplies

Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 PM

4,669 posts, read 6,737,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Marcy1210 you may want to look at this also. It seems to get good reviews.
Amazon.com: ABO Gear Happy Habitat for Indoor Cats: Pet Supplies
Thanks!! These are great. Never knew they existed, and now I really want one.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:34 AM

215 posts, read 630,815 times
I tried to keep my cat only indoor, but he does cry to go out. We only let him out on nice days and never in the evening. He doesn't wonder very far. At lot of times he just vegs in our backyard or rolls around on the driveway. He has a collar, with a bell, and tag. I think he's very smart and comes when we call him. I do worry about him but it is in his nature to hunt outside. He has caught mice, birds, and grasshoppers. We are in a subdivision and my neighbors know he is our cat and they have not complained to me or expressed any concerns.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 PM

666 posts, read 987,610 times
"Catios" are the new craze I guess.

If my girlfriend see this I'll be forced to build something like this.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,095,361 times
OMG, just let the damn cat outside already Lmao. WAY too much like work....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs