U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2006, 03:17 PM

9 posts, read 47,623 times

Advertisements

OK so we want to live in the mountains, and most of the houses I'm finding in my price range are in Woodland Park. I'll be working by the Air Force Academy. Is the commute rediculous in the winter? On mapquest it says 45 minutes, which is what I do now. Is that accurate? We'll be moving in a couple of years, so I'm hoping the issues with 25 are going to be fixed by then with the construction currently going on. Is there another location you would suggest for the 200k price range that is still in the mountains with an easier commute? Manitou looks too expensive for me, although I'd rather be there cuz I'm an artist.

Last edited by Jubi_Ash; 10-01-2006 at 04:05 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 11:33 AM

137 posts, read 708,493 times
I think just about anyone would say that Woodland Park to the AFA would be a hard commute. It's not an easy 45 mile drive. I think you could find something in Manitou that is farily equivilant to Woodland Park- and that would take off the hard part of your commute. You might also consider Palmer Lake. It is a small, older community just north of the Air Force Academy near Monument.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:12 PM

I think you may be right. Palmer Lake would be better. The commute would certainly be easier, and even though we wouldn't exactly be right IN the mountains, at least we would be right next to them. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2006, 08:14 PM

would Cascade be too difficult too?

Old 10-14-2006, 05:00 AM

45 posts, read 307,749 times
Default Try the other way

Try looking at Monument and Palmer Lake. They are not right in the mountains but right up against them. These are small pretty communities and parts of them would fit with the artsy feel you may want.

Actually if you are am artist then I agree that Manitou may be the place or Old Colorado City. These tend to be enclaves of the art community and have the small mountain town feel but are right between Colorado Springs and the mountains.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:47 PM

53 posts, read 244,746 times
I live in Divide (next town west of Woodland Park) and I don't think it would be too bad, especially if you are used to a 45 min commute anyway. With Woodland Park being right on Highway 24 it gets plowed fast and often. Only a few times a year, and then mostly in the middle of the night, is there significant accumulation on the road.

I'm not dissagreeing with anyone else that Manitu or the Palmer Lake area would be closer...but don't rule out Woodland Park entirely. The best thing to do might be an exploritory trip where you can make the drive yourself and then decide.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've pretty much ruled out Woodland Park now though. At work I talked to someone on the phone who lives in Cascade and she advised me that the "pass" occasionally gets closed in the winter if it snows a lot, so it probably wouldn't work so well for me. I'm mainly looking at Palmer Lake and Old Colorado City (Pleasant Valley) areas, but today I was looking at zip 80906 (Cheyenne Meadows). I'm wondering if that is a good area or not? It's really close to Fort Carson, but it looks to get good views of the mountains and has decent prices.

Last edited by Jubi_Ash; 10-15-2006 at 11:19 PM..

Old 10-16-2006, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Gibson View Post
I live in Divide (next town west of Woodland Park) and I don't think it would be too bad, especially if you are used to a 45 min commute anyway. With Woodland Park being right on Highway 24 it gets plowed fast and often. Only a few times a year, and then mostly in the middle of the night, is there significant accumulation on the road.

I'm not dissagreeing with anyone else that Manitu or the Palmer Lake area would be closer...but don't rule out Woodland Park entirely. The best thing to do might be an exploritory trip where you can make the drive yourself and then decide.
I by no means am trying to hijack this thread. However, my wife and I will be visiting Colorado Springs, Boulder, and Fort Collins in January to decide if and where we would like to move after I graduate next December. I think Woodland Park looks beautiful, and the prices of homes with some land are so much less than those closer to Colorado Springs; therefore, I am very interested in this area. Divide might be a little too far, but we are somewhat considering it as well.

Jeremy, what would be the typical commute times from Divide and/or Woodland Park in normal weather, somewhat-inclement weather, and really bad weather? Also, how often are the really long commute days?

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2006, 04:04 PM

53 posts, read 244,746 times
Most of my commute is to the Colorado Springs airport in the south-east part of town. I could probably get most places in town in the same amount of time or only slightly more.

In perfect weather it takes me 1 hour from my driveway to the ticket counter at the airport. That includes parking at the airport and taking the shuttle to the terminal. Divide is 15-25 minutes further west than Woodland Park, so if you're in Woodland you can subtract that from my estimate. It also depends on where in Woodland Park of Divide you live. I'm exactly 20 minutes from the middle of Woodland Park.

In semi-inclement weather it really takes the same amount of time (for me). I don't speed, but the roads are really well maintained in my opinion. Rain or fog (actually low clouds), or light snow are what you can expect for semi-inclement weather. Good windsheald wipers help.

Bad weather is heavy snow or packed snow / ice. I have seen heavy snow occassionally, but it is plowed quickly. Only when driving home after midnight from the airport have I occassionally used 4-wheel drive and driven slow to get home. In that case, it takes me about 1 1/2 or 2 hours to get home. Again, my experience is that this is rare and only late at night or early morning. I have never seen the pass closed or impassable durring normal commuting times.

...but, this is Colorado. I have a 4-wheel drive SUV and keep chains in the back. I've never used them but feel better knowing they're there. I also keep a blanket, water, flares, and misc tools in the back. It's common to put together a cold-weather emergency kit. I've seen more cars stuck on I-25 and on Monument Pass than the pass between Colorado Springs and Woodland Park. I also believe most employers would understand if you're stuck at home due to heavy snow.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:42 PM

where exactly is Monument Pass??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs