Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:26 AM

193 posts, read 356,305 times

Advertisements

The production of hemp is an extremely lucrative, as yet untapped industry in Colorado - or the US as a whole. Those in the agricultural industry should be very happy at the prospect of producing low irrigation crops with an astronomical number of uses.

Liquor is regulated in Ontario in the same way that marijuana has the potential to be in Colorado. Annual revenue is over 1 billion dollars to the province.

There are implementation issues ahead to be sure, but the potential of the amendment could be phenomenal. One must also consider potentially beneficial effects on Mexican drug wars. A legal market for marijuana means less money being channeled into the pockets of criminals and ne'er-do-wells.

I might add that I don't smoke pot, but I have been to Amsterdam and it is an absolutely gorgeous city, with wonderful residents. All of the Netherlands is delightful. The negative impacts you mentioned above have much more to do with culture than with substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM

69 posts, read 123,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcelmer View Post
The production of hemp is an extremely lucrative, as yet untapped industry in Colorado - or the US as a whole. Those in the agricultural industry should be very happy at the prospect of producing low irrigation crops with an astronomical number of uses.
Exactly what I was going to point out.

I also wonder how the OP can believe that crime statistics are "manipulated" but the news coverage is not...

Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
The one aspect of crime around here that bothers me is the number of robberies. I think police are understaffed to handle the volume, which I suspect has increased since the economy downturn. I get really really ticked off about the robberies I see practically every day in the paper - SCUM!
It always seems these pick up around the holidays and that's everywhere, not just CS. Good will towards men and peace on earth, eh?

Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 AM

8 posts, read 26,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post

Job Growth here has been trending better than the country, and with legalized pot in a tourist destination we should see a large amount of cash flowing into our local economy and creating jobs.

If only...

You're banking on weed, that's good to know because there is no way I'd want to live in a town so desperate. The chamber surely doesn't agree. I'm all for adults responsibly toking, but not ok with that as the town factory.

But, CS may have no other option because the DOD is going to wind down no matter what happens in Jan. Meanwhile Boulder, Denver and Aurora are expecting "legitimate" legal job gains. CS is expected to be flat or decline.

Don't shoot the messenger here.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,559 times
There definitely seems to be a rise in crime around the Holidays each year. Folks have homes full of valuable gifts, and the burglars know it too.

I suggest that more law-abiding citizens should arm themselves, and use alarm systems; and give burglars something to really consider before breaking into someone's home.

But I also think your comparisons are a little off. There's not really any other cities in Colorado, to compare to CS in terms of population, so I think with the exception of Denver, which has a much, much larger population, Boulder and Castle Rock would be a bit stretch when comparing crime rates.

According to the 2011 Census, Boulder has a population of about 99,000, and Castle Rock has a population of about 49,000. So Colorado Springs, with a population of about 650K, would have a far larger numbers of crime, just based on the population; 6.5 times larger than Boulder and 13 times larger than Castle Rock.

In fact, Pueblo doesn't even have a comparable population.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Also I think that anyone who reads the paper is going to have a worse impression, as someone said they publicize every single crime. I'll be honest, my overall outlook on life improved immensely when I stopped reading the paper. Even the news on TV is less negative and depressing. Seems like at least 80-90% of what's in the main newspaper here is complaints and stories about awfulness. At least this morning on the news they showed a cute video with a kid and a dog...

Having lived in a number of locales, the only place I've ever felt safer was the outskirts of Des Moines, IA. Maybe. Actually it's about the same.

Places I know are LESS safe, from experience:

--Lacey, WA (near Olympia--great community, still had stuff stolen from our front yard and neighbor's cars.)
--Cincinnati, OH
--North and central Virginia (I-95 corridor between DC and Richmond)

Old 12-10-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
But I also think your comparisons are a little off. There's not really any other cities in Colorado, to compare to CS in terms of population, so I think with the exception of Denver, which has a much, much larger population, Boulder and Castle Rock would be a bit stretch when comparing crime rates.

According to the 2011 Census, Boulder has a population of about 99,000, and Castle Rock has a population of about 49,000. So Colorado Springs, with a population of about 650K, would have a far larger numbers of crime, just based on the population; 6.5 times larger than Boulder and 13 times larger than Castle Rock.

In fact, Pueblo doesn't even have a comparable population.
Fair enough, Aurora has a population 325k vs CS 416k according to neighborhood scout.

That site shows CS has around the same level of crime but with almost twice as many rapes. Aurora raked safer over all according to them.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Also I think that anyone who reads the paper is going to have a worse impression, as someone said they publicize every single crime.

Reading a paper is more than just the crazy things. Reading the paper can inform you, for instance that CS may face drastic and dramatic job loss depending on what occurs and how fast it occurs next year and in 2014.

The town should have diversified, however, it may now simply be too late.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodkaol View Post
Fair enough, Aurora has a population 325k vs CS 416k according to neighborhood scout.

That site shows CS has around the same level of crime but with almost twice as many rapes. Aurora raked safer over all according to them.
Yet, I don't recall any people dying of gunshots at the movies here in CS...

Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM

193 posts, read 356,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodkaol View Post
there is no way I'd want to live in a town so desperate. .

Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs