U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:00 PM

20,307 posts, read 37,790,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodkaol View Post
...The town should have diversified, however, it may now simply be too late.
You must be fairly new here.....ten years ago the city WAS diversified, with no less than five firms making computer chips and such here, plus associated supporting contractors. INTEL alone had a million square foot chap fab plant on Garden of the Gods. A MILLION sq ft! Thousands of well paid employees! All gone.

I don't care to discuss it here, this is a crime thread, which, by the way, we've had before if you want to use our search tool to locate it, like our Terms of Service asks people to do before firing off new threads on the same old stuff.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 19,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You must be fairly new here.....ten years ago the city WAS diversified, with no less than five firms making computer chips and such here, plus associated supporting contractors. INTEL alone had a million square foot chap fab plant on Garden of the Gods. A MILLION sq ft! Thousands of well paid employees! All gone.

I don't care to discuss it here, this is a crime thread, which, by the way, we've had before if you want to use our search tool to locate it, like our Terms of Service asks people to do before firing off new threads on the same old stuff.
Yes, we are new. We planned to stay, but with no job prospects, and I don't mean $10 hr, there simply isn't anything CS offers that the Denver metro doesn't. Were just not into the poor lifestyle that is seemingly so revered around here.

I think the crime rate is tied to the job element. In this thread I've been told "you can't compare", and that there is good job growth in CS. Both appear flat out false.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM

20,307 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Appearances can be deceiving; for most us our perceptions equate to our reality.

I agree that Denver Metro Area (DMA) has far better job prospects, but it has a mass of 3M people to sustain the sort of prospects found in major urban areas.

Many people will tell you that the DMA is more expensive and has worse traffic than here. All that matters is what works for any given person / family.

I don't find crime here to be an issue, and I agree with others that the local news like to work off the old industry standard of "if it bleeds, it leads."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
The cat is out of the bag. So Eodkal, you moved to the Springs without any job lined up during the worst economic collapse since the great depression and were surprised to find a complete lack of jobs? I can believe that. I'm taking this opportunity to get my Master's degree. It's a bad time to be looking for work pretty much anywhere.

The rape numbers are based on PTSD leading to higher occurrences of spousal rape because of the large military presence. Unless you are married to someone with PTSD, you should be fine. I don't know about you, but my beard repels stranger rape The statistics on rape victims show that people with beards are vastly less likely to be the victim of rape. Since you don't like math, please ignore the gender of most rape victims with the frequency of facial hair on men. Of course, women with facial hair tend to be unattractive.

Living in the springs and traveling through Denver for business I've found the traffic in the Springs dramatically better. Having recently been in the market for a house, I've found houses to be much cheaper. Comparing to Boulder not only changes the number of people, but it compares CS to one of the richest subsections of Denver. If you liked math, you'd know there is a correlation between extremely rich people and low crime rates. If you compared to a place in Denver with the same median income, you'd probably find that the springs are safer.

In general, your problem comes from a massive stigma associate with a bad experience. I don't blame you for that. I moved to Iowa to support my wife and had the same experience. I had to build a business from scratch because it took about three years to land a job with my degree. I despise that area for the nepotism, the false advertising (they made a big push to recruit more people with educations--despite having one of the highest rates in the country), the absurd taxes, the unconstitutional out of state tuition rates that were imposed on us while we were surviving with help from a food bank, the humidity, the bugs, the racism, the boundless ignorance, the heavy traffic (yeah go figure, bad roads can do that), the terrible winters, the union contracts to reinforce nepotism (A walmart cashier makes minimum wage, a UofI cashier can make over 17/hour with great benefits), the surprisingly high cost of living (it is cheaper here), the lack of city conveniences (costco please?), and the fact that everyone just stays there waiting to die.

In short. I understand finding something not to like about a place where you had a bad experience. However, you are connecting negative things to a city that does not have a higher occurrence then normal. I know nothing of this "poor" life style you say is so revered. We live great out here. We moved AFTER my wife got a job here as an RN. (pronounced "are - en", so it is an "an" instead of an a. I'm not clueless about grammar.)

I don't see anyone on this board telling people "move out here without having a job lined up". That's fine advice when unemployment is 2%, but terrible when it is 9%. I don't consider pot jobs to be illegal or not "legitimate". I don't do drugs, not even pot. I do understand the economic impact this is going to have in Colorado and Mexico, both of which will be much better off. Mexico will lose production, but the illegal production was fueling a gang industry that murdered innocents by the thousands. Legal production here by American corporations will drives prices vastly below what the gangs need to survive. Even after the taxes, it will much cheaper and safer to buy it legally. The state will have an abundance of funding.

Homeless people are not caused by pot. Homeless people tend to appear in places with the best services for them. The west coast has enormous numbers of homeless because of the temperate climate. The cities responded by catering to them. Building free/subsidized housing in Portland was one example. That causes homeless people from other states to migrate that way via public transportation when they get the chance.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 PM

193 posts, read 295,186 times
Where are you going to school, Lurtsman?

We didn't have a choice in the matter regarding moving here (although I do like it a lot), but I made the exact same choice: if I couldn't get a good job here, I'd go back to school for an advanced degree. I'm at UCCS in Public Admin.

Speaking to the homeless issue, there are also a lot of vets here with mental health issues (like I mentioned earlier), a lack of jobs, a lack of affordable housing, and a lack of resources for the organizations which aim to help. And qualifications are strict! For some non profits, you need to already have a steady job in order to qualify for housing assistance - it's hard to hold a steady job without a home. For others, you need to be both mentally ill AND a substance abuser, and agree to treatment for both in order to receive help. Not that these are necessarily bad things - but if you are looking for help, it's difficult to find the right program....especially if you don't have the luxury of spending a couple of hours on the internet. I don't think many homeless people have laptops & wifi.

@ the OP: Long story short, there are a lot of problems here.

But sitting here whinging about it? You're certainly not helping.

Go volunteer at a youth center that hopes to reduce rates of recidivism if you're so worried about crime. Or move to Flint, MI. I hear it's very nice there.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:35 PM

UCCS.

What do you consider affordable housing Jcelmer?

Moving here we were very impressed with the value we found in the rental market, and even more impressed with the value in the home ownership market. I'd like to know more about your views on housing.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM

193 posts, read 295,186 times
Affordable housing is subjective, but for those in a very low income bracket, I would consider it less than $500/month.

Overall the cost of living here is VERY low, but that's also based on our earnings. If I were making $14 an hour and trying to survive (as many are, or less), I know I'd be struggling. The fires also manipulated the housing market this year.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcelmer View Post
Affordable housing is subjective, but for those in a very low income bracket, I would consider it less than $500/month.

Overall the cost of living here is VERY low, but that's also based on our earnings. If I were making $14 an hour and trying to survive (as many are, or less), I know I'd be struggling. The fires also manipulated the housing market this year.
While I work on my Master's my wife is pretty much the sole bread winner. She brings home about the same amount two people would if they each made $14 per hour. I think we live pretty well. Living alone on $14/hour would probably be a mistake. It would be very possible, but there are some major savings to living with other people.

It may sound negative, but one of the reasons I wanted to move here was the lack of low income housing. It tends to have extremely negative economic effects on the city. I can find several places open for around 400/month with a quick search though. It's small relative to the city, but that's part of the reason we don't have more terrible neighborhoods.

Generally speaking, there just isn't much in the way of housing that can be provided for $500/month. It doesn't provide a large enough payout to cover administrative costs (which are higher for the customers involved) with enough left over to provide for a reasonable building and a return on investment. Subsidized housing provides landlords an incentive to create more ghettos which then require more cops.

How can we make it cost effective for landlords to provide low income housing without giving them tax payer money to create trailer park style areas that drain local resources?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs