Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 26,516 times

Advertisements

Is it the ex soldiers? or the lack of jobs?

Colorado Springs has the crime of a very large city, but its teeny in jobs and money, so what gives here? The towns around Denver, like Boulder or Castle Rock aren't even close to level of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
If you look at actual crime statistics/facts, Colorado Springs is a relatively low crime city for its size and it not higher than surrounding areas.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 AM

193 posts, read 356,204 times
What makes you ask this?

Crime here is verging on insignificant.
Unless I am in or near one particular neighbourhood, I really barely think about it.

If there are any problems, I would attribute them to budget troubles within government. Code enforcement narrowly missed their entire $600k budget being cut in its entirety last year, which paints a depressing picture of law enforcement budgets as a whole. Staffing is below what it should be.

Colorado Springs has 1 code enforcement officer/ 45 000 residents.
Aurora has 1/15 000 - the recommended number.

Not that code enforcement officers have a lot to do with stopping crime, or the psychological reasons for committing it, but if people know that the city's first responders are stretched thin (which in my opinion, they are - they are fielding many code enforcement calls too! - and let's not even start on the fire department being called for health related incidents which would be better channeled elsewhere), that might add to their willingness to commit crime.

There are also many homeless here - ties in to your ex military inquiry. Many have suffered mental illness during service (PTSD & Alcoholism are major ones) that have not been addressed, and both they, and the city, are paying now. That is a national problem though.

On the whole, if you are witnessing an 'above average' amount of crime...I suggest you relocate to a better zip code!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
The one aspect of crime around here that bothers me is the number of robberies. I think police are understaffed to handle the volume, which I suspect has increased since the economy downturn. I get really really ticked off about the robberies I see practically every day in the paper - SCUM!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
If you look at actual crime statistics/facts, Colorado Springs is a relatively low crime city for its size and it not higher than surrounding areas.

Thats subjective. First, are the numbers real? I don't trust a lot data manipulated to show certain items. And second, to which towns do you compare?

What I can say is this is a tiny town that looks very, very, rough and the paper is full of crazy crimes, like the homeless butcher and the cell phone rape..

Old 12-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcelmer View Post
What makes you ask this?

On the whole, if you are witnessing an 'above average' amount of crime...I suggest you relocate to a better zip code!

And that is very likely the outcome. Note though, that I already live in the nicest area for CS.

CS is two cities, a deteriorating large area and a very small nice area on the northside. Without job growth and all the defense cuts coming, you can do the math.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM

193 posts, read 356,204 times
I was speaking to the PIO for the Springs Police department recently.

In fact, nearly EVERY violent crime in the springs is publicized in the media. This fact alone means that the number of them is low. In New York, for instance, every murder does NOT get into the paper. The fact that crime is sensationalized here does not mean that it is abundant. I'd be happy to look at some of the statistics you've mentioned. They should be relevant to all residents here.

The ones i've looked at (not since June) did not concern me.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
The Northside actually covers a huge area of land. The crime statistics are low, but if you don't put faith in statistics you'll just have to do random guessing. Since you trust your guess more than that of anyone else, the crime is high because you think it is high. The rest of us meanwhile are living in a city with relatively low levels of crime, and many of us don't consider 650k to be "tiny". This is about the 41st most populous city in the country. It's not New York, and to **** with anyone who would want it to be.

Job Growth here has been trending better than the country, and with legalized pot in a tourist destination we should see a large amount of cash flowing into our local economy and creating jobs.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
What part of the Northside? That's like saying, "In the mountains". It's a huge area with many different and varied neighborhoods.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
with legalized pot in a tourist destination we should see a large amount of cash flowing into our local economy and creating jobs.
That's an interesting projection. If COS becomes the Amsterdam of the Rockies, will it attract more people than it repells? What kind of jobs would it create? Massage and tatoo parlors? How many tourists will a proliferation of head shops bring in? Won't there be an increase of panhandlers? Do they attract tourists? Won't there be a clash of cultures with the more conservative elements in COS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs