Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 PM

36 posts, read 71,741 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My family is seriously weighing a move from Plano, TX to Colorado Springs. I research a lot but I feel unsure of which neighborhood would best suit our family. Buying a home in a brand new city seems like a lot of pressure, too. I lean toward renting for a year to get a feel for the city. We like NW COS online. Academy-20. Can you recommend specific neighborhoods or an online rental resource aside from Realtor.com? Would like to spend around 3k/month.

Thanks so much!
S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
D20 is very highly rated, the two most touted districts in this area tend to be D20 and D12. Also, that is where a lot of the more expensive housing can be found.

But "the most expensive housing" is very relative. For 3K a month you can rent pretty much anything you want. In fact you might have a hard time even finding something that costs that much...some of the really, really super nice homes I looked at (not seriously, because my budget was lower, but just for the fun of looking) were in the 2K range.

I would advise doing a Google on a map of zipcodes and familiarizing yourself with a few that interest you, and then hit up Rentals.com and check by zipcode, #of bedrooms, etc. There are other sites like padmapper.com and ppar.com but for rentals, that site did right by me. You can also look at Hotpads, and I do like the format of that site but beware that any listing you are interested in there needs to be tracked back to its original source and researched independently. Because some of the ones there are outdated, and it pulls from a number of other sites' listings.

Excellent plan to rent for a year. It's the best way to do it.

Other considerations:

Do your kids have any special school needs? I don't just mean "special needs" but like even programs...my son needed Orchestra in middle school, not all districts do that.

Proximity and commute to place of employment. North/south commutes tend to be easier than east/west ones here.

Geography...the north and west will be subject to possibly more snow, definitely more hilly when it does snow...will you be comfortable driving in those conditions? Lots of people love to be up against the mountains. Home sweet home for me was the plains. We have all of the above and quality schools can be found in either.

As for neighborhoods, are you OK with a nice house in a suburb setting? Smallish yards, neighborhood amenities? Do you want land? Trees? Those things will influence your pick.

This forum is an awesome place to gather info, folks here will be happy to answer any question and help you out. Best wishes!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 PM

193 posts, read 356,204 times
ppar.com and militarybyowner.com are good for rentals. Sonic is right, your budget is extremely healthy.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:24 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,510,104 times
You can get a great home in a great neighborhood for far less than 3k/month in this city. You could put that money instead into charity, savings, travel, etc.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:24 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
You can get a great home in a great neighborhood for far less than 3k/month in this city. You could put that money instead into charity, savings, travel, etc.
Or, if you want and expect to buy a home in the future, the savings can go towards that. I think nowadays if you don't get a VA loan, most mortgages do require a significant down payment, yeah?

But regardless you can certainly find a lovely home for much less than 3K.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM

641 posts, read 2,276,072 times
As echoed by previous posters, you can easily rent a single family home, (3bdrooms, 2bath, 2 car garage), for $1200-1500 per month - of course that all varies on the neighborhood, the home, and the landlord.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM

69 posts, read 123,216 times
Colorado Springs Rental Properties - Official MLS Listings - PPAR.com

Is another option for searching rentals. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs