U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 PM

68 posts, read 105,401 times

Advertisements

Interviewing for a job this coming week for a job downtown Springs. If I were to get it, what area of townwould you live that is safe and fairly nice. We would want an apartment at first till we are sure of the area we like. 800-900 rent for good size 1/1 (800 or so sqft) is what we are in now and would want there. Don't want a long commute. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 05:38 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
The Old North End Neighborhood (ONEN) is the nice area, north of downtown, but may be out of your price range.

Check padmapper.com and especially ppar.com with it's map-based search (as well as a price-based search).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
You could probably find a nice apartment right near the downtown area. The Oasis apartments on the west side (Fillmore hill) could be a good place to start if you want to step out just a tad but not much from downtown. There are plenty of other apartments in that general area as well.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM

727 posts, read 1,135,208 times
I live in Old North End, and agree it's a very desirable place in the downtown area. Also agree with Mike that it's probably out of your price range, plus there are very few apartments in the neighborhood, and I'm guessing most of those are occupied by CC students). Check out Patty Jewett and Shooks Run for more affordable downtown prices and availability. What is your definition of a long commute? My definition may be a whole lot different than yours (having come from the DC area a couple of years ago with a 1.5 hr commute each way and many thousands do it every day; around here I hear complaints about anything in excess of 15 minutes. I just laugh). Otowi's recommendation for the Centennial area (Oasis apartments and others) is a good one. That area is only about 10 minutes or so from the heart of downtown.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the info thus far. The Oasis looks pretty nice and is definitely within the range I'm looking for. I commute a whole 2 miles right now. LOL I live 30 miles from Austin and did the whole 1 hr commute each way for about 16 years and don't want to have to do that again. I would rather spend my time at home and not sitting in my car. lol 30 min or less would be more to my liking.

I really appreciate all the help. Now I just pray I get the job.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,104,729 times
My MIL lives in the Oasis apartments. Nice place. My only gripe is parking sucks, very few spaces and at night it gets full. She has an attached single garage, so it's not an issue for her. I think she pays around $1000 for her 2 bed 1 bath apartment. It's small, under 1000 sq ft, but it's comfy.

There's another nice apartment complex on Centennial and Fillmore that is worth checking out as well. Just half a mile from the Oasis.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
I'd suggest checking out camel back pointe. They should have some one bedrooms for about 800 and it is a very quite apartment complex. It's near filimore, so it gets you to downtown pretty quick. My wife was working downtown and it took her less than twenty minutes.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,364 times
I love living downtown.

I have noticed anything south, and really even a few houses north, of Uintah on Nevada guarantees college roommates. Essentially, downtown, avoid any apartment complexes/houses renting rooms for about three to four blocks outside of Colorado College. It's great if you're a college student, not so great if you aren't, and don't like the lifestyle.

My husband works downtown, and he gets home in twenty minutes door-to-door. That is walking to the parking garage, navigating the traffic of everyone leaving the parking garage at the same time, navigating the terrible traffic on Nevada and Uintah, (terrible! Yes, Carrera and Mike and Terytee, I said terrible, because I am a spoiled Springs resident and haven't really encountered TRUE traffic)

In the interest of full disclosure, if you want less than a 30 minute commute, then really, that opens up a ton of the Springs. I'd say Old Colorado City would be a place to look, anywhere off of Union (very quick north-south thoroughfare), as far north as Academy, downtown, east of downtown for quite a ways (though I would stop at Union), and south quite a ways as well (though I would avoid downtown, and go for the complexes when Nevada turns into 115)

Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,485,170 times
Downtown. I like all the neighborhoods north of Fountain and west of Union.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 PM

Thank you for the added comments. I will check them all out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs