U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM

3,788 posts, read 2,119,391 times

Advertisements

We settled on a cottage in Old Colorado City for our upcoming trip to the Springs. For the record, I was stationed at Carson for 4 years, but returned home for my current career which affords me an early retirement. Over the next few years, we plan on taking as many trips as possible to the Springs area so my wife can get a feel for whether or not she wants to try moving there when I retire in less than 10 years. We have a well mapped out plan, so please, don't bother with those points which I read here constantly.

My question is, in the 12 years since I've been gone, has anything changed about Old Colorado City? If we move back, I'd be looking to move to the west side of town or even Manitou. When I was there, those areas had a lot in common with the part of NYC I was raised in. I believe my wife will come to love the area also.

Furthermore, to speak to our vacation itself, are there any concerns with the area we should have?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 PM

2,269 posts, read 2,960,196 times
I can't think of any significant changes to OCC in the past 12 years....

Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM

601 posts, read 609,115 times
Same old, same old: some places move a block, some move away. Within the next few years (I think it's in the 5 or 10 year plan) there will be some MAJOR upgrades to US-24 and the 8th street, 21st street interchange, and perhaps more.

Manitou has had more changes than OCC. They have done some really nice upgrades re: sidewalks, curbs, etc. It was always nice, and it's even better now. I think the changes Manitou made enhance the city.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 PM

3,788 posts, read 2,119,391 times
Thank you guys, I was hoping to hear not much has changed. I really enjoyed those areas when I was living in Colorado, and am hoping that my wife enjoys them now. Thanks again.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM

413 posts, read 412,776 times
Yeah - in general, the westside has remained more consistent in look than other parts of Colorado Springs. Though there are more options closer to this side of town than there used to be. And closer in big box options and chain restaurants, most notably in the Southgate area.

The OCC westside is still very pleasant, and here in Manitou, as hollyt00 pointed out, the town is looking really great these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs