Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,684 times

Advertisements

I agree with this post. Even though I don't HS, I'd never belittle someone for making a choice that they felt was best for their children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
A recent study published in The Journal of College Admission showed that:
  1. Homeschoolers earned a higher ACT score (26.5) versus 25.0 for other incoming freshmen.
  2. Homeschool students earned more college credits (14.7) prior to their freshmen year than other students (6.0).
  3. Homeschooled freshmen were less likely to live on campus (72.4%) than the rest of the freshmen class (92.7%).
  4. Homeschoolers were more likely to identify themselves as Roman Catholic (68.4%).
  5. Homeschool freshmen earned a higher grade points average (3.37) their first semester in college compared with the other freshmen (3.08).
  6. Homeschool students finished their freshmen year with a better GPA (3.41) than the rest of their class (3.12).
  7. The GPA advantage was still present when homeschoolers were college seniors. Their average GPA was 3.46 versus 3.16 for other seniors.
  8. Homeschool students graduated from college at a higher rate (66.7%) than their peers (57.5%).
So with facts like these, homeschoolers continue to be mocked and belittled as well as their families? Crazy.

My kids aren't homeschooled, but I certainly don't bash anyone for doing it. My girls have been in public schools for their entire education...my oldest had a 4.2 cumulative GPA and graduated #3 in her class and ended up with 4 academic scholarships and is enjoying her time at CSU as an honors student her freshman year. My youngest is a straight "A" student and loves public school. I will say that I'm very involved in their education and keep a close eye on everything. There are some pretty sad stories in public schools, but the same applies in college and the workforce in general...that's life.

Bottom line, I haven't homeschooled my kids, but certainly don't have a problem with others doing it. More power to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 PM

665 posts, read 1,295,211 times
Since it's closely related to this subject, some may be interested in an event at Colorado College this Thursday. Are Good News Clubs Good For Our Children? Along with the author of the book The Good News Club: The Christian Right's Stealth Assault on America's Children , Katherine Stewart, the event will feature the Richard Dawkins. I squealed when I learned he was speaking. He is a god to me. (I realize the irony of that statement) See ya there!

Last edited by allprolab; 02-24-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,793 times
Choice...it's a beautiful thing!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 PM

I agree. Too bad those kids have none.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM

Using your logic, kids don't have a choice in going to public school either. Nice try though.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 PM

It's not logic, it's just a simple fact.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
I agree with this post. Even though I don't HS, I'd never belittle someone for making a choice that they felt was best for their children.
This is just a general statement, not just about this topic, but parents do not always do what's best for their children.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,684 times
I made a more detailed statement on the previous page. My point is that you can't assume to know everyone's personal circumstances, so don't be so JUDGEMENTAL to lump people in a category.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is just a general statement, not just about this topic, but parents do not always do what's best for their children.
And when do they find that out??? (I have a friend with 13 kids and I'm sure they haven't got it figured out yet!)

From what I've seen, the responsible parents try their best, with the knowledge they have and the UNIQUE personalities they are dealing with.

Gosh, I sure wish I knew what was best for ME !!! That would have saved nearly 60 yrs of grief

Kids are more resilient than parents

There is always Dairy Farm Boarding School. Up at 4:30AM 7 days / week and NO AFTER SCHOOL activies cuz the COWS are waiting... Worked for me! And millions of others. There are many openings for YOUR kids!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And when do they find that out??? (I have a friend with 13 kids and I'm sure they haven't got it figured out yet!)

From what I've seen, the responsible parents try their best, with the knowledge they have and the UNIQUE personalities they are dealing with.

Gosh, I sure wish I knew what was best for ME !!! That would have saved nearly 60 yrs of grief

Kids are more resilient than parents

There is always Dairy Farm Boarding School. Up at 4:30AM 7 days / week and NO AFTER SCHOOL activies cuz the COWS are waiting... Worked for me! And millions of others. There are many openings for YOUR kids!
Excellent post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs