U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,149 times

Advertisements

Hello all !

Well my husband will be retiring from active army soon and we are considering moving to COS and I have a few questions about diversity, schools, and decent areas to buy a home. For one, we are an interracial family (black/white) and diversity for our children is important to us. I have done my research and have seen the numbers as far as diversity (racial/ethnic makeup) are concerned, so I have a general understanding. I have also read on some of the forums that there is a lack of diversity there but still not bad in terms of racism.

1) Being close to the military bases, I am sure there are quite a few interracial couples/biracial children on the base. However, I am wondering in if there are many interracial couples/biracial children in the general population/area of COS?

2) Is fountain school district 8 a decent school district? I have done my research and understand that District 20 is very good, along with district 12 and 38. District 20 is ideal, but after researching district 8, I am wondering if it is up to par when compared with districts 20, 12, and 38. I ask because I understand that there are many military families (active/retirees) in that area.

3) Our range for buying is 250,000-350,000. I have been looking at homes in the Fountain and COS area, however, I'm not sure which areas are better or worse. So considering our range, what areas or communities within the Fountain or COS area are safer, decent for families? Of course, I understand that the more upscale areas of District 12 are pricier and out of our price range. Also, while searching the forums, I have read something about noise from the trains in the Fountain area. Anyone care to speculate?

Honestly, we wouldn't allow anyone to dictate where we can or can't go based on our racial makeup or qualities. And I realize that some people probably get annoyed at such questions. However, we want our kids to be in an environment where they can grow and thrive and not be outcasts based upon their skin color as kids nowadays in general have too many other issues to be concerned with lol. And COS is one of the places that consistently comes up on our list as a suitable/decent place to raise a family. It's unfortunate my husband was never stationed there, so any help would be appreciated. Also, I forgot to mention that we the cold is not really a concern, as we are stationed in Alaska now and have lived in other colder climates with snow. I do have other questions i.e. job market etc but figured I would start with these 3 first. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
1. There are interracial families all over town, but yes, especially closer to the bases. Just to give a general idea, probably just about every classroom in the city has a multiracial child or two, but near the military bases, that might rise to half a dozen.
2. Yes, it is a decent school district and gets some very nice funding from being attached/on the base. As for "up to par", the test scores aren't quite as high, so if that's the only indicator you care about, then maybe no, not quite. But there are a lot of factors that go into those slightly lower test scores - increased mobility of the kids in those schools, proportionally a little less 'involvement' and 'education level' from parents, etc. District 3 is also right there next to D8 and fares about the same.
3. People's opinions or 'tolerances' vary on this as well, but I for one would say there are no or very few truly bad areas anywhere in the city, but the main area people mention to stay away from if there is one is the southeast side inside the Colorado Springs city limits mainly in Harrison School District 2 around the streets Airport, Chelton, Murray, etc. These are not "ghetto" but at apartment complexes in particular crime rates seem to be bit higher there - although to be honest if you happen to be unlucky a robbery can happen to you anywhere. As for train noise, unless you live really near the tracks (next to Highway 85/87) in downtown Fountain it is hard to imagine this being a problem. I grew up in Widefield and although you can hear a train, it was never considered a problem, but now in Security/Widefield they don't usually blow horns at the crossings although I guess in Fountain they may still do so. For me personally, the train would not really be a factor in a buying decision unless I were looking at a property within 2 blocks of the tracks and then I might want to scope it out both at daytime and nighttime to see what I thought.

4. Job market - things are a little slow, but perhaps improving, although who knows what the future holds with sequesters and what not. Generally I would say finding a job in most fields is possible but not easy.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
1. There are interracial families all over town, but yes, especially closer to the bases. Just to give a general idea, probably just about every classroom in the city has a multiracial child or two, but near the military bases, that might rise to half a dozen.
2. Yes, it is a decent school district and gets some very nice funding from being attached/on the base. As for "up to par", the test scores aren't quite as high, so if that's the only indicator you care about, then maybe no, not quite. But there are a lot of factors that go into those slightly lower test scores - increased mobility of the kids in those schools, proportionally a little less 'involvement' and 'education level' from parents, etc. District 3 is also right there next to D8 and fares about the same.
3. People's opinions or 'tolerances' vary on this as well, but I for one would say there are no or very few truly bad areas anywhere in the city, but the main area people mention to stay away from if there is one is the southeast side inside the Colorado Springs city limits mainly in Harrison School District 2 around the streets Airport, Chelton, Murray, etc. These are not "ghetto" but at apartment complexes in particular crime rates seem to be bit higher there - although to be honest if you happen to be unlucky a robbery can happen to you anywhere. As for train noise, unless you live really near the tracks (next to Highway 85/87) in downtown Fountain it is hard to imagine this being a problem. I grew up in Widefield and although you can hear a train, it was never considered a problem, but now in Security/Widefield they don't usually blow horns at the crossings although I guess in Fountain they may still do so. For me personally, the train would not really be a factor in a buying decision unless I were looking at a property within 2 blocks of the tracks and then I might want to scope it out both at daytime and nighttime to see what I thought.

4. Job market - things are a little slow, but perhaps improving, although who knows what the future holds with sequesters and what not. Generally I would say finding a job in most fields is possible but not easy.
Thanks Otowi, I appreciate your quick reply. Ah yes, the sequesters and furloughs.... Well we are definitely considering this major issue as well. Overall, COS sounds like a lovely area, a place I would want to raise our kids. We are actually planning a visit to check out the area, base, etc... Again, thanks for the information.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:06 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,594,945 times
Hi, we are in the military and have lived here in the Springs for nearly 4 years now. Our daughter is biracial (black/white), although we are both white (we adopted). I can tell you this area is VERY racially tolerant. That was something we noticed right away; its just a non-issue here from our experience and our black friends. We chose to live in the northern part of D11 school district (zip 80923 or 80918) for the diversity and have been so happy with our decision. The schools in this area are fantastic thru middle school. Come high school, we might have made other plans. But the great thing about Colorado is that you can "choice" your kids into other school districts. We will be moving this summer, but had we stayed, we would have either stayed in this area or we would have purchased a house in D49 (the zone that feeds into Vista Ridge HS). Diversity was second on our list only to quality education and raising our kids in a safe, middle to upper middle class neighborhood. I never considered the southern part of the Springs since we go to Denver frequently and wanted to be further north. But basically, the most diverse of the northern districts are going to be in zipcodes 80922 (D49) and 80923/80918 (half is D11, other half D49). Our daughter's preschool class has 16 kids, and 1/3 of those are minority kids. And my son's 5th grade class has about 25% minority. We have loved it here, I'm sure you will too.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:09 AM

18,888 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Maybe it's just because I lived in the Washington, D.C, suburbs for 30 years, but this area seems to me to be so White, and I say that as a White person. I'm not at all saying that it's a racially intolerant area.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 AM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
The younger generation does not look like the older generations. People living in housing areas where most houses are over 200,000 look pretty different than neighborhoods where most houses are under 200,000. My niece and nephew's classes in Widefield are probably half/half white vs. non-white including hispanic and mixed race as the largest portions but also a fair number of African Americans. The classes I teach a little further north typically have this break down: in a class of 30, expect two African Americans, 6 hispanics, 3 mixed-race and 1 or 2 Asians, Pacific Islanders or Native Americans. Rest white. A lot of hispanics are mixed-race too, so many seen "on the street" may be taken for white (especially since hispanic is seen as an ethnicity and not a race per se). Go further north and that will change to increasingly white, generally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs